• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Winter Boots/Poor Circulation

Gary Murray

.270 WIN
My apologies if i posted this in the wrong area. I need to find a good pair of winter boots that will keep my tootsies warm regardless of my poor circulation. I'm only 46 but according to my doctor the 2 packs of cigarettes i ram between my lips daily is a big cause of my poor circulation. I have a pair of boots that are supposed to be good to -40 but because of my circulation issues my toes still freeze. They are fine if i'm moving around but because i sit in a blind or tree stand during December for late season whiteys, i'm just about ready to head home after an hour or so because my cold toes are unbearable. I know to quit smoking is the most obvious answer lol but for those of us that smoke it ain't that easy.

My current boot of choice is the LaCross Ice King. Had them for many years and they have held up well.

What kind of socks do you wear? I switched to wool/smartwool and have been soooo much warmer. Cotton looses all insulating ability when it becomes damp.

I also use a foot deoderant called Lavilin. It's an antiperspirant that keeps my feet dry. Laugh it you will but I lived for years with cold feet and making these few changes have saved me a lot of grief.

What size boots do you wear? I have a pair of Northern Outfitterts expedition boots that I wore twice and hated. They are the warmest bnoots I've ever owned but there is little support and I tend to walk on the outer edges of my feet, a bad combination. (Mine are an older version of this boot if you are interested let me know)

I wear size 11. I was ready to buy a pair of those heated socks but was told not to waste my money as they don't perform as well as they advertise. I was told Baffin boots are great to -100 and my buddy who lives in the north where i live swears by them. They cost around $250.00 which i don't mind paying but not if i'm still going to have the same issues with circulation.

warmest boots ive ever worn,usmc issue "micky mouse boots". they wore them in korea through 1990.
its said you can put on wet socks and they will dry in them.(i never tried it)
look around army/navy surplus sites and stores.
i'd send you mine ,but there a size 8.

Attachments

• Insulatedboots.jpg
    Insulatedboots.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 610
Ditto the wool socks. The old adage "cotton kills" is more important on your feet. I use the Toastie Toes inside my boots if I don't need to walk too far. They can and will cause your feet to sweat if you move too much.

I have a pair of 2000 mg Thinsulate pack boots that work really well. Just make sure you get a size or size and a half bigger to accommodate thicker socks. Squishing your feet into a tight boot just aggravates the problem.

One thing people overlook is keeping their core temp. On cold days I'll put 4-6 large hand warmers in my inside pockets--jacket and pants. Keeping your core warm helps keep the blood flowing to your extremities. I've been able to sit in my treestand in the mid-20's with light gloves and my medium boots by using this trick.

Hope this helps some.

Being Diabetic I know where you are coming from. Like others have said "Toe Warmers" have helped me. Also a loose boot. My boots use to fit kind of tight when I had my multiple layers of socks on, and it would restrict the circulation even more. I use a Wet Suit type sock on my feet "wicks the moisture away" followed by wool socks. I got boots that were 2 sizes larger than I normaly wear. Loosen them up when you get to stand, and drop a toe warmer in. Good Luck.

Frank

I've tried those Hot Hands toe warmers but they never really did anything for me. I think that's due to the amount of space in my boots as these things need a certain amount of air circulation to work. Mike. I seen those Thermacells. I think (can't quite remember) that they run around a $100.00. You have to charge them at home with a plug in charger if it's the same ones you are talking about?

This is a subject that I know a little about that may help you.

I was a lineman for about 15 years. It seems when the weather was at its' worst, was when I worked the most.

Having a boot that fits too tight (especially in the toes), will make them get much colder and much faster. Especially if it's really cold, or wet, or both.

These are definately not cheap, but I have worked all day long in zero degree weather and stayed warm and dry but it won't do anything to help increase your circulation.

We used to joke and call them watermelon boots because they're so big and bulky, but when you're hanging off the side of a pole a half mile back in the woods for an hour at a time, didn't take long to learn to appreciate them.

http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?di ... ory_id=483

Now with the boot recommendation out of the way, I used to smoke about 2 packs a day when I quit and I smoked for more than 20 years.

The worst thing I ever did was start smoking. But since you're as hooked as I was, let me tell you, you're not doing yourself any favors by continuing to smoke.

I decided one day that I was going to quit, and that's exactly what I did. It was rough for the first two or three days, but after that got much easier.

Everytime I wanted to light one up (especially when my regular smoke took place), I would drink a bottle of water instead.

The motion of putting it up to your mouth combined with the water helping flush the chemicals out of your system faster helped me a lot.

I'm not sure if I'm the exception or not, but I even still dream about smoking sometimes and wake up feeling guilty about it and it's been almost 3 years since I quit.

I also highly recommend well socks. I use Magellan, Thoralon, and REI brands.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Most of the advise I would give has already been stated, wool socks and things of that nature. What hasn't been mentioned is good insulated pants. The warmer you keep your legs the warmer the blood will be when it gets to your feet. I got a pair and since then my feet stay much warmer in the cold days of winter.

I’m a Sorrel man…..Wore Whites logging and fighting fire and I can attest to their quality. Now I wear Danner Super Rainforest for fire season , Sorrels in snow
I have been nicotine free for 1 year 8 months……I would chew and smoke at the same time depending on stress level. Like John I should have listened to my smoking friends and not picked it up…..one of the best things I did was quit. Gum helped me through it.
I must have gained 20 lbs but thats gone now too

rjpoog1989 said:
Most of the advise I would give has already been stated, wool socks and things of that nature. What hasn't been mentioned is good insulated pants. The warmer you keep your legs the warmer the blood will be when it gets to your feet. I got a pair and since then my feet stay much warmer in the cold days of winter.

I have warm clothing. Every part of me is warm. Just my toes drive me nuts. I've never really invested in proper, warm winter boots before but i'm willing to now.

I would say the best plan is to start by cutting back or quitting the smoking habit. I realize its quite tough.
since you already have poor circulation, start with a size larger than normal and wear them as loose as you can tolerate.
wool is your best option on socks and most of your basic layers.

I ran a 5K new years eve wearing wool base layer along with a t-shirt and shorts. It was one of the hardest Ive sweated at 25 degrees F.

I'd like to chime in on this if I could. I do a lot of ice fishing up here in northern BC. I used to have the problem that 3 hours in to the day my feet would be numb. I now have a pair of -40 boots which work well for me, however I do not have circulation problems. Baffin/sorel/muck boots are all great, but they are all going to be on par with your -40 boots. I think you need the next step which are bunni boots. Everyone farther north than me wears them. They are very bulky due to the fact that they have an air bladder in them which insulates your feet completely from outside temperatures. You are not going to be running any marathons with these, but I guarantee you that you will keep whatever warmth there is down there in your boots, and whatever cold will stay out.

...or you could quit smoking and blah blah blah...but thats no fun now is it :p

Well I am a 51 year old diabitic and beleave me sitting in a stand or in a blind for long periods during deer season I knew my feet was protected but still I felt the cold creeping in my feet. I found some feet warmers being sold in all places in a Home Depot when I went and work on their servers. They stuck on the outside of your sock at the front under your toes and man let me tell you they work.

glad you found something that works for you. :) take care of that diabetes, i too have type 2.

Sorrel caribou boots here. Have had em for many many years. Wore them as a timber fram,er in Lake Tahoe, never had an issue.

Back