• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Winter Boots/Poor Circulation

Gotta say just got back from trucking through the snow. Temps were pretty damn cold....-10-12C. I wore my Danners...insulated 400 grams and Gore-Tex....and yeah wool socks are a must. Some quality wool socks...like Icebreakers or I've even got some Helly Hansen wool work socks that are really good too. Boots have to fit well with some extra room for thicker socks...can't say enough about these Danners I bought...man lightweight, comfy, warm and dry.

FWIW...Also a smoker too.

Danner boots...made in OR...where @oli700 "the man" lives and is a living legend...at least around here anyway!

I just picked up a new pair of Danners yesterday, they are the only brand of boots that are comfortable right out of the box. No break in required...

I just picked up a new pair of Danners yesterday, they are the only brand of boots that are comfortable right out of the box. No break in required...
True dat! Worth the extra few bucks for top quality boots.

Danner boots...made in OR...where @oli700 "the man" lives and is a living legend...at least around here anyway!
I just got a set of Ridgeline's ......omg these are the best ever ......been wearing them every day for about 6 weeks .

Danner has Chinese made boots as well theses days......look for the ones with the American flag sewn in the seam on the upper , those are the ones made here. More expensive but way better

Mine were prolly made for export to Canada. Tags on the boots said they were made in OR. No flag on the upper that I can see. No markings to say they were made in China.

Thanks for the heads up Oli, I might pick up another pair this year.

warmest boots ive ever worn,usmc issue "micky mouse boots". they wore them in korea through 1990.
its said you can put on wet socks and they will dry in them.(i never tried it)
look around army/navy surplus sites and stores.
i'd send you mine ,but there a size 8.
+1 on that. You can't find anything near as warm as surplus Mickey Mouse boots. Damn things don't wear out, either. 4 years on mine. Paid about $50 for them.

+1 on that. You can't find anything near as warm as surplus Mickey Mouse boots. Damn things don't wear out, either. 4 years on mine. Paid about $50 for them.

I need to get some of those, now that I reside in the valley it would probably only be occasionally I would need that sort of protection but I don't see how you can lose owning a pair and I love surplus

I just today got a pair of Irish Setter by Red Wing. Also made in China but my company has been giving us Red Wing Gift cards for the last two years and I saved last years to add to this years and got a serious pair of boots, (or hope they are) the 882 Elk Tracker, 600g Thinsulate and Gortex all leather and water proof, 10" boot. I got them in the proper sizer and they still have room for heavy socks. They feel awesome with merino wool.

I too have peripheral neuropathy in my toes. My feet freeze 4 months out of the year and I've been smoking for 23 years. In fact my feet freeze as soon as the high temp is around 40. I know smoking isn't helping and I've quit in the past. I get to about two or three weeks and begin to go mad. The want and desire to smoke never goes away. I once quit for two years and then right back like I never stopped. Last time I quit, my wife was crying at me and said she didn't even know who I was anymore so I fixed it by smoking again.

Anyhow, it hasn't been cold enough yet this year but when it gets there, I'll be outside for sure and I'll let yall know how these work for me. They are extremely comfortable out of the box.

Last edited:
It's about 30*F today. I've been outside most of the morning so far with a few hours to go yet.

So far the boots are extremely comfortable, feel like a well fitted pair of boots, aren't at all too tight with wool socks, and my feet are comfortably warm without sweating.

An interesting side note;
They're much quieter than my other pair of boots. I purposely try and walk quietly, especially at night through the house if I go outside for a smoke and I don't want to wake anyone sleeping. I've been able to walk through the house where we have hardwood in all but one room without a sound. I even snuck up on my older daughter last night, from my room and all down the hall and across the living room into the kitchen. Don't know about getting to my blind yet through leaves and stuff.

I need something new. My Lacrosse finally gave out with an unrepairable crack in the rubber toe box. I bought a pair of Sorrels because they seemed ok when I had then before. Now if i hunt 32deg or less my feet are cold within about 30 min of sitting. The boots are fine for walking and moving around but not when sitting.

I've also struggled with cold feet for years myself. A couple of things I haven't seen mentioned in the thread, and I was guilty of both for years.

1. Make sure you're buying your boots large enough. As in, you should be able to freely wiggle your toes, if not, they're too small.

2. You may be buying boots with too much insulation. What happens is, even with proper socks, once your feet sweat and said sweat starts evaporating, your feet are now cold until you get out of those wet clammy socks. Even good merino wool socks won't help in my experience.

Spent some time hiking yesterday through fields and woods and in creeks and irrigation ditches and lots of mud. Temperature just below 40*. Boots are definitely water proof and my feet never felt the chill. I know that doesn't sound cold, but as I mentioned above, this time of year and even in mild weather, my feet are almost always painfully freezing to the point of being nearly unable to walk sometimes.

Back