• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Wisconsin Hunter Bags 780-Pound Black Bear

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
That thing is a beast!!!! Congrats to him!!

LINK: http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/field-notes/wisconsin-hunter-bags-780-pound-black-bear

1411732227002-BigBear-ArndtDennis-04.jpg
Dennis Arndt of Waupaca County, Wisconsin, was hunting private land last weekend when he took down the black bear of a lifetime—a 780-pound bruin, known locally as “Sampson,” that has eluded hunters for years.

Arndt captured several trail-camera photos and videos of the bear a week earlier, but said he was surprised when it appeared where he was hunting around dusk. He shot the animal and it ran into a nearby swamp. Knowing it was too big to drag out alone, Arndt excitedly fumbled for his phone to call friends.

“I’m like ‘who is this?’ ‘This is Jeremy.’ I’m like ‘I got him, I got him!’ I don’t even know which friend I dialed first. I told him ‘get the crew together, I got Sampson,'” Arndt told Fox affiliate WITI.

Arndt and friends were able to drag the bear out on a sleigh and lift it with a skid steer tractor, but they didn’t realize just how big it was until they weighted it on a certified truck scale. “Some of the bears in the Waupaca area that I’m familiar with have been in that 400-500 pound range, and I hear about one a year,” said DNR Conservation Warden Ben Tremel. “But this is just an incredible animal.”

Because bear trophies are typically ranked by skull measurements instead of weight, Arndt will have to wait a few months before he can officially score his bear. In the meantime, the rest of the animal is at a taxidermist, who is creating a life-sized mount for the hunter.

That must have been fun, dragging 780 lbs of dead weight out of a swamp at night...helluva kill, though.

Looks like he got it with a scoped 870? And is he totin' a shoulder holster? Smart if he was. Yeah, pretty good hunt.

That bear sure is clean and shiny for having gotten into a swamp, though.

One question remains... "Now What?"

Yup.

But what exactly does one do with a 780-lb dead bear? Head and shoulder taxidermy mount would cost how much? Beautiful (magnificent) animal, for sure.

Is there some meat value after that?

I'm totally inept when it comes to something like this.

Bear meat is very tasty. Good flavor but not as strong as deer (at least the meat I've had) It's a lot more marbled with than venison.

My dad has killed a few with a bow, though none this big. On a bear this size, a LOT of it will be fat and skin. Even on the bears my dad killed there was several inches of fat you had to cut through to even get to the meat (It often makes for a small to non existant blood trail as it seals up with the body fat. )

Little blood trail even with a slug?

Little blood trail even with a slug?

The two my dad shot with a large broadhead clogged pretty quickly from body fat. Would have been very difficult to find if not for the game tracker.

I do not have a lot of first hand knowledge on gun shot bears but I assume the same would hold true. Where they were shot would also come into play.

Back