• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Wolf pack?

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Curious if you folks think this is a pack of coyote or wolf?

To me, they don't look like 'yotes. The face is just wrong. Size and color is wrong. They just look off of a coyote.

And there isn't supposed to be any wolf in this area. Least not that I have ever heard of.

But then again, the state released all the dang 'yotes and I do know they were considering bringing in some wolf on some federal grant program too.

And since the neighboring property is part of the Blanton forest preserve, wouldn't surprise me too much if you guys thought they were wolf.

Here are some pics.

trailcam%2052116%20336_zpsilzn4ctx.jpg

trailcam%2052116%20337_zps1yjsuqrc.jpg

Both of them?

Or just the dark one?

Yotes, bodys just don't look big enough to be wolf to me.

I just saw pics a while back of a guy that got a dark yote that looked just like he one in the top pic. They are out there.

hey bro, using your trespassing sign a reference, coyotes is where my money is unless you guys grow really little wolves. Add about 100 pounds to that creature, bigger paws.......thicker legs , way way bigger head.......if you had a face shot you could tell for sure
Look for track yet ? size of a child's hand for coyote , mans hand for a wolf

OK guys. Thanks for the input.

I have seen a few coyotes up there before, but this set of pictures just looked off to me.

Here's one that was killed by #4 shot in the driveway close to the curve where we have the targets, and also near where I have my camera set up.

He kept coming down trying to whoop up on my Uncles dog and take it's food all the time and he finally got what he had coming to him.

coyote2.jpg

Here is a photo that I super-imposed both images together to show the approximate size of one that had roamed around up there for a while for size reference.

The new photos in the original post, the 2nd one looks larger than what I am used to.

trailcam111811026.jpg

Curious if you folks think this is a pack of coyote or wolf?

To me, they don't look like 'yotes. The face is just wrong. Size and color is wrong. They just look off of a coyote.

And there isn't supposed to be any wolf in this area. Least not that I have ever heard of.

But then again, the state released all the dang 'yotes and I do know they were considering bringing in some wolf on some federal grant program too.

And since the neighboring property is part of the Blanton forest preserve, wouldn't surprise me too much if you guys thought they were wolf.

Here are some pics.

trailcam%2052116%20336_zpsilzn4ctx.jpg

trailcam%2052116%20337_zps1yjsuqrc.jpg

There is a wolf / coyote hybrid running around New York state. I wonder if they've made it to your neck of the woods...

I honestly don't know.

Last I heard, there was federal grant money up for grabs for successful wolf relocation. I would not be surprised in any way if the state hadn't had their hands stuck out wanting it.

But the 2nd photo I originally posted does look a lot like a red wolf that is shown in this link and was the basis of why I asked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wolf

I honestly don't know.

Last I heard, there was federal grant money up for grabs for successful wolf relocation. I would not be surprised in any way if the state hadn't had their hands stuck out wanting it.

But the 2nd photo I originally posted does look a lot like a red wolf that is shown in this link and was the basis of why I asked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wolf
well if you started out talking about the red wolf , I would have question . I dont know the first thing about a red wolf and they appear to be only slightly bigger than a coyote .......now I am not so sure

in this part of the world wolves kill coyotes on sight.... , antelope herds are rebounding big time because of it .
there was a pack of 8 yotes found about a month ago......scary part is only 3 wolves killed all of them

Much beefier than our local coyotes. At first I thought it was a pet dog.

No, they're not pets. I assure you.

My boss was stalking a moose, and he didn't know the wolf was stalking him, until the guide looked around and yelled "Shoot the wolf! Shoot the wolf!"

I understand, but the wolf was looking to eat my boss.

Definately not pets.

There were 3 wolves stalking them. He shot the biggest one but had to trail it into the forest and finish it off.

He killed the wolf. And the forest went silent. Then one lone wolf called out a question, but there was no answer.

10 seconds later dozens of wolves started howling in the woods all around them.

They grabbed the dead wolf and got the hell out of there fast.

its all good....its life .

if my dog was doing that, or killing livestock I wouldn't have shit to say about it.......I would be really mad at myself for letting my dog get in trouble.

just got to wonder what that wolf was doing

A female, stalking a person , in country obviously packed with food.......looks healthy.......not knowing your boss I would have to call him a liar . He took a shot of opportunity......hope he killed the pups too
Its just so unusual.....
Now in skinny winters they have been known to snatch a kid or two in Alaska.....who womder from the village a little too far.

I have known of a cougar that did that exact same thing, but the guy had already shot his elk and was packing bloody meat on his back

When wolves hunt, its in numbers and usually males. When they smell people they run, when they hear guns they run, when one get shot in front of the rest they run, they don't rally and start looking for the guy who shot Jenny

anything is possible I guess.....I would be suspect if he was telling me the story though

Last edited:
Well Oli, I really don't know a damn thing about wolves & I wasn't on that hunt. But this is not just another Fake Internet Tale, bud.

They were on a professional moose hunt in the north of the Canadian wilderness. If you PM me I will put you in contact with the guys who run the hunting lodge. He said the guide told him they don't often see wolves but when they do they shoot them on sight to drive them back into the wilderness.

Despite what PETA is telling you, wolves are far from extinct up there. He estimated that they heard 50 wolves in the woods howling when he killed that one. The guide told him that it might have been the pack leader judging by the reaction of the other wolves.

That's my boss Bob in the photograph. He's a registered civil engineer the head of the local school board and a deacon at his church. He's our Chief Financial Officer as well.

I've worked in the office next to him since 1994. He's 67 years old now, and he's the most involved, concerned, kind and honest person I know.

He spends his life designing public school buildings and training young engineers.

He is also an avid Sportsman and a dog owner since childhood, & they were not on a wolf hunt. Don't believe for a second that he didn't have mixed feelings about shooting that wolf. He was told to shoot it and quite forcefully by a guy who would have shot it himself had my boss not been the Paying Hunter.

It took over 2 years to get the pelt mounted and shipped back through Canadian customs.

Back