• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Wondering on a new barrel..

pandaman420

Copper BB
New here, just got my first 590 recently. iv been looking around to try and find a barrel that i could drop in and use chokes with for hunting, like that aimpro accushot, 28 inch maby. right now i have the 8 round mag tube in with a 23 inch standoff barrel. and Iv looked around and herd bothways from people that a 500 barrel will fit or that i would need to buy a new mag tube and barrel. Hoping someone here could help

here a pic is
http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/28547/1160878.jpg

Good to have you, your in good hands! :)

This is something we have been loking at closely lately with the interchangability of barrels and stuff.

A 500 barrel will not be a drop in replacement for your 590. I can do some searchin to see what is available though if you like?

So ideally you are lookin for a field barrel to use with I'm guessing Mossbergs Accu Choke?

You could change the mag tube as well as the barrel. If you look around you may be able to find a deal on something so you can swap it over.

thanks!

Ive done alot of looking around, and the cap the tube locking mechanism on the 500 doesnt look like it would work on the 590. honestly im just amazed there isnt more barrel variety for it, i love the 590, its a very durable beast, and when my full stock comes in i cant wait to go skeet and trap shooting.

pandaman420 said:
thanks!

Ive done alot of looking around, and the cap the tube locking mechanism on the 500 doesnt look like it would work on the 590.

It wont! :) lol once you purchase a model, youre kinda locked into some things...

pandaman420 said:
honestly im just amazed there isnt more barrel variety for it...

There are some new things comin out, including stuff for the 590. I just dont know that youre gonna find a field barrel for it, but I can look!

pandaman420 said:
i love the 590, its a very durable beast...

Heck yeah it is! I love it and shooting it is a pleasure!

I have the 590a1 with the 18 inch barrel and 5 shell mag. After a bit of searching I have found lots of info out there, including from some aftermarket parts guys, that the 835 barrels will drop right in on a 590a1 with 5 shot mag. That's the critical part. the 5 SHOT MAGAZINE MODEL ONLY! Sorry for shouting on my first post but I just wanted it to be clear :lol:

I haven't personally gotten one and tried it yet, as I'm still trying to decide if I want to spend $250 on a chocked barrel for my 30 year old 870, or $150 to $200 on my 590a1, or just not eat out and save up for 6 months and buy a benelli super nova... It's a hard call.

P.S. First post! Howdy all!

Check for a barrel for the 870 on Gunbroker.

OR, you could get a 500 mag tube, screw it and the 28" barrel on the 590 when you want to use it for bird hunting or other such activities, replace the 590 tube and barrel when done.

gumbydammit said:
Check for a barrel for the 870 on Gunbroker.

OR, you could get a 500 mag tube, screw it and the 28" barrel on the 590 when you want to use it for bird hunting or other such activities, replace the 590 tube and barrel when done.

Yeah, I hear you on the 500 tube. That opens up a world of reasonably priced barrels! But if I can just run a 835 barrel, I'd rather not mess with my mag tube. I'm fundamentally lazy! Cleaning my gun and swapping out barrels is about as much as I'm capable of after a day in the field or at the range :oops: Not proud of it. Just honest.

Back