• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Worst Fire Season Ever in California

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
From the MSN news:

"The state is currently battling 367 known fires, Gavin Newsom reported at a press conference on Wednesday. “We are challenged right now,” the governor said. The state was struck by lightning 10,849 times over the course 72 hours, he reported. The unusual lightning storm and a historic heatwave have led to an especially fierce fire season this year, officials said."

BLM won't have to burn down the wine country: Napa, Sonoma, etc...
Look out for mother nature folks.

I am over 200 miles from these fires, as the crow flies, but I knew this AM that something was bad.

It was too overcast, not sunny, and no smell of smoke, but a serious brown haze floated high aloft.

It's gotten brighter, but the smoke is still there.

Everything here is well irrigated or cut back, so no chance of wildfire where I live.

But then who knows what kind of lightning storm might come next.

This time of year it's usually thunderheads stacking up over the sierra Nevada, and not nearly so much off the coast.

Last edited:
(cont.)
"Fires were burning in every Bay Area county but urban San Francisco. “So basically, everywhere there’s land to burn, there’s land burning in the Bay Area,” Swain said.

In southern California, the Lake fire north-east of Los Angeles has been raging for more than a week, spreading across more than 21,000 acres. The Dome fire has eaten through more than 43,000 acres including the Mojave national preserve near the California-Nevada border – scorching ancient Joshua trees.

“Throughout the state of California right now, we are stretched thin for crews,” Will Powers, a state fire spokesman told the AP. “Air resources have been stretched thin throughout the whole state.” California is asking the whole country for help, seeking hundreds of fire engines and more than 1,000 crewmembers and first responders.

On Tuesday, Newsom, the California governor, declared a state of emergency..."

Cadd, I remember when I lived in Nebraska, smoke from Wyoming and Montana forest fires would make their way to the skies of Nebraska. By the time the smoke made its way 600 miles east the smell was gone, but it would change the hue of the sky.

I also remember a motorcycle trip to Montana in August of '03, the skies were hazy and the smell of fire hung in the air 200 miles east of the fires. There were roads closed which prevented me from seeing some places I had planned to.

I hope the fires stay away from you and yours.

Back