• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Would 590a1 with GRS effect side saddle loading for lefty?

DTL

I am currently looking at a 590a1 with factory GRS. My question is: I am left handed and am used to reaching over the top to access shells for my reloads. I am wondering if the factory GRS would make it much harder to access the extra shells. Is there anyone else left handed running the factory GRS and side saddle who can comment?

Am I missing something? I'd imagine it's the same regardless of leftie vs rightie, the side saddle goes on the opposite side of the ejection port so you always have to reach over/under to throw a shell in the open port. As far as loading them in the magazine, it depends on which hand you use.

Anyway, it looks like the factory GRS look to be back far enough that it shouldn't matter but I haven't been able to try it myself yet.

I'm not a leftie.

But if you have a quality sidesaddle you can hold your extra ammo "base down" so that your right hand can feed the beast from underneath either directly to the ejection port or your loading gate (eliminating any GRS concerns) .

I am a lefty. I have a 590 with factory ghost rings and a 930 SPX. Mossberg ghost rings or the LPA ghost rings on the SPX model? The SPX rear sight has a screw that attaches it to the rail and it actually did make it more difficult to get to the shells when I used one on my 930. The rear sight that mounts directly to the receiver is much lower profile and shouldn't affect loading. Experiment with brass up/brass down and see what you like. The more I played with it, the more I hated the Mesa Tactical sureshells I had. I sewed elastic shell carriers and put them on the stock with the shells brass up.

Back