• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Would shortening a semi-auto barrel impact cycling?

Tom396

.30-06
If I wanted to pick up a cheaper semi-auto 20 gauge, with a standard length field barrel, but then shorten it to 19", would the gun's ability to cycle rounds be impacted? I know velocity can be impacted by barrel lengths, but I wondered if internal pressures might also. Take care. Tom Worthington

Yes it can due result in a decrease in reliability, though not to say that it always will.

It has to do with the decreased dwell time the shot is in the barrel once it passes the gas port, though most shotguns won't notice. At least on full power loads and barrels with less dwell time will normally have a larger gas port opening to compensate.

Most cycling issues seen on semiauto shotguns relate to low brass shells.

If you do notice a decrease in reliability, you can contact the manufacturer and ask them if they will tell you what the gas port diameter is for their 18 inch barrels and then open it up accordingly by simply drilling the correct (likely larger) diameter hole where the original hole is located.

Or you may even be able to find the correct specs online if you're trusting of the source of the info.

^ What he said.

Many 20ga semis are plagued with reliability issues to begin with. What you're wanting can be accomplished, but not likely without some modification to the gas system...

Back