• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

XS Big Dot on a Shockwave

Razzle

I've got a few extra bucks to spend this month, so I thought about adding a Big Dot to my Shockwave. I've read where others have added one, but I can't find a report from extensive testing (100+ rounds). Has anyone tested out the Shockwave/Big Dot with this many rounds?

I put a Big Dot on a 590 Thunder Ranch. Very happy with it, especially with that stupid standoff muzzle device that shrouds the outline of the stock sight.

Warning, installation and epoxy rant follows.
JB Weld works great. Note, fast cure epoxies are not as strong. Important: The biggest causes of epoxy failure are not mixing it enough and contamination. Don't rush.
You will replace the stock bead with a supplied smaller one. The original will unscrew but be careful! It is tiny and not strong at all. The new bead only locates the new sight so it does not need Loctite. Clean the base of the new sight and the barrel several times, only one wipe will just smear oil around, especially on a matte finish. Locate the sight on the barrel and put tape around the perimeter as if you were painting. Apply JB or other epoxy, do not starve the glue joint. You have already figured out how you want to hold the new sight in place, no need to smash it down hard, just firm so it is immobilized. Carefully clean the epoxy from around the sight, you can remove the tape now.
The pro touch. Most guys end up with a thin line around the sight from epoxy squeeze out. We can do better. Take a toothpick and carefully remove the squeeze out. Put the gun away and don't touch it for a full day, seriously.
Like a boss!

Last edited:
I've got a few extra bucks to spend this month, so I thought about adding a Big Dot to my Shockwave. I've read where others have added one, but I can't find a report from extensive testing (100+ rounds). Has anyone tested out the Shockwave/Big Dot with this many rounds?
Here's another option to consider, much cheaper, does not require a permanent modification to your gun, and corrects high shooting that is inherent in the short factory bead:

Interesting. Certainly much less money than a Big Dot. It's taller than the fiber optic sight on the Thunder Ranch so it'd work there too.

DTvsFactoryB_160x160.png

In the handgun world white front sights are gaining popularity. A person could temporarily whiten that Highball sight to see if they liked it. If so, hit it with nail polish or something tough.

FWIW I've had gold and white dots on handguns. While the gold is prettier, white just works better.

I know it's been a while, but here's my update:

The installation was simple - probably because I took my time and made sure there was no JB Weld oozing from under the Big Dot. Autonomous gave me the idea of using a toothpick to remove the excess, but the OCD in me brought out a sewing needle after the toothpick...just to make sure.

So far I've found that the Big Dot is absolutely essential equipment for those with poor eyesight (me). Maybe it's just an illusion, but I seem to see the target behind the Big Dot better as well.

And, Autonomous is right...I'm getting back on target faster than before. Rapid follow-up shots are holding closer to targeted center mass than before. Faster target acquisition with a reduction in POA/POI differential is exactly what I was hoping for. I've mostly tested the Big Dot with my homebrew minishells, but I ran a tube of slugs as well. I'm closer to dead center mass than before.

It's definitely a game-changer with the Shockwave (at least for me). So much so that I just ordered one for my 500A. XS is having a sale, and I received a $20 discount on my new order. I've definitely become a fan. I just wish I could put one on my S&W Model 1000.

Last edited:
I just wish I could put one on my S&W Model 1000.

Unless it's a vent-rib barrel, you should be able to mount one using a 5/40 tap. I've mounted the XS Big Dot on a few of my 590's, and on a S&W Model 3000 using a drill bit/5-40 tap kit I got from Midway (if I remember correctly).

I just installed my new Big Dot on my 500A. Wow! It's amazing! I did some duck hunting about 25 years ago, and these sights would've made a world of difference.

Back