• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Yet another new member from Texas

Howdy y'all, pleased to make your acquaintance!

I'll have my brand new Mossberg 500 Persuader w/ Tri-Rail Forearm, model 50575, in my hot little hands next week (awaiting FFL transfer). It has a 20" barrel and an 8+1 capacity, synthetic stock. It is intended as a home defense weapon in an apartment environment. It is the only firearm I presently own. Many years ago I owned a (cheap) .380 pistol but I got rid of it after it failed me when I needed it and haven't owned a gun since.

I do want to make some appropriate modifications to my new shotgun. My present thinking is that a sidesaddle and a tactical light are the most useful, though I might decide to add a laser sight somewhere down the road. I'd like a six shell sidesaddle and have been researching the Tacstar but understand there are sometimes problems with it interfering with the forearm. I also am unsure about which light to get: I'm a heavily built man but I still don't want to load the gun down with too much weight. Any input you more experienced owners may have for me will be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing y'all around! I'll post a picture of my new shotgun as soon as I get it in.

Welcome aboard!

Us Texans are takin over. I was born Arlington and raised all over the DFW area. Hangin my hat in Tennessee now, but Texas will always be my home. We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so we are looking forward to pics of your new 500 Pursuader when you get it. As far as the side saddle goes, there's an easy fix. I posted this a while back...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Welcome aboard!

I picked up a Tacstar saddle and immediately noticed that the forend was hitting the base when retracting the pump. A simple mod will take care of the problem. I've always been one for the quick and easy fix whenever possible. Here's a pic of my TacStar mod for reference...

All I had to do was drill a second hole 1/2" (center to center) inside the existing hole at the rear of the base plate. Drilling it slightly smaller than the others will eliminate the need for a nut to secure the screw. There is now plenty of room for clearance in the action using my aftermarket forend. The whole process took less than five minutes. I've fired several hundred rounds through this 590 and have had no movement in the TacStar at all...

There's plenty of conversation on tactical lights in our 'Tactical and Home Defense' subforum...

viewforum.php?f=38

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Enjoy the site!

Welcome from MI!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

I apologize, I've been remiss in keeping up with our new members...

Welcome to Mossberg Owners, please feel comfortable and at home here!

I too have a Persuader and just put some video up of it in the Ammo section under "Hornady Critical Defense". Its a fine shotgun! The only problem I have ever had with mine was when doin that video and I some how tried to send some filed grass to battery!!!

Sounds like you have a plan! Only thing with the laser to keep in mind, they are generally a reference point only that will change with the range of your target unless you can be certain its parallel. Some can be adjusted I think?

Another concern would be use in low light or no light. The laser will likely leave a path to trace back to you.

I'm certainly among the last people that will try and talk you out of somethin. Just things to keep in mind though! ;)

Back