• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My first mod: The 590a1 Buster

blue

20g
Don't need a roadblocker. Don't need a Chainsaw. Needed a Buster. Bird Buster to be specific :mrgreen:

Yes, I have confirmed it with about 150 rounds yesterday, 835 barrels are 590 barrels (with the 5 shot magazine only!) with a 3.5 inch chamber. The "matte blue" finish is a perfect match for the 590a1 receiver and mag tube. The barrels are overbored so no slugs. And you can't shoot 3.5 inch shells unless you're really sure you can get the job done with one shot, as it probably won't eject.

This is why, despite the derision from my Tacticool friends I got the 5 shot mag. I could have bought a clays barrel for my old wingmaster after getting the 590a1, and kept the mossberg as a dedicated HD gun, but let's do the math. My Rem is a late 70s wingmaster which is 2 3/4inch only and a fixed modified. You know what they want for even a standard weight 28 inch barrel with only ONE choke tube installed? A modified choke at that which my gun already has? Run of the mill, basic barrel is about $250.

The 835 barrel has a middle and front bead. It came with I/C, M, and Full choke tubes, and it's freakin' ported. Now I don't care one way or the other about porting, but it's a standard feature. Cost? Between $150 and $175 :eek: Didn't have the chance to do 5 stand, but as a trap gun it's superb, and I adjusted very quickly to the two bead setup.

So don't hesitate to buy an 835 barrel if you have the 5 shot model (or are willing to buy the 5 shot tube and a spring), and want a long barrel. Hmmm? I wonder if they have an 18 inch barrel with choke tubes they don't show on the website?

Forgive the pic quality. I don't know how to take a properly lighted in focus pic indoors :oops:
DSC03790.jpg

P.S. Anybody want to buy a 30 year old Remington? They were still producing quality guns at the time! :lol:

That is a sweet setup and I am glad you were able to get a bird barrel to work with your Mossberg 590A1! Thanks for sharing.

Holy crap THATS AWESOME!!! Thanks for posting that, I've been wonderin about the 835 barrels. I may need a 5 shot 590A1 now! :D

I was 100% confident when I purchased it. Too many reports of it working to discount all of them. What I didn't expect was the fact that the finish would be an exact match to the finish on my gun! Can't beat the value of doing it all with one gun. Seriously. Going to be selling or trading my wingmaster. I see no reason to own a gun with such a different scheme of controls in the safety and slide release, especially since with the choke tubes this gun will cover all the clays games, and everything from upland to waterfowling. It's the only gun I'm going to be shooting now. Until I get either a 930 or a Citori level over/under.

Just burnt another 150 shells on the trap range. I did a comparison between my wingmaster and this gun. Between the overbored barrel, porting, and the pad, the 590a1 kicks WAY less than the wingmaster. I know porting is controversial and some say it doesn't reduce felt recoil, but whatever the reason or combination of factors resonsible, the mossberg is easier to shoot.

blue said:
...but whatever the reason or combination of factors resonsible, the mossberg is easier to shoot.

This is my experience also. I was just recently shooting my in laws 870 Wingmaster. From loading to firing, it just felt all wrong.

Glad to hear youre diggin it!!! Sounds like an awesome set up Blue!

So not to jack a semi old thread, but 2.75 shells should work with this right? I know you can't shoot slugs because of the backbored barrel, but what about the 2.75 inch shells because they're shorter?

I'm shooting trap loads, and the gun shoots better than I do. Just like in a gun that can handle a 3 inch shell, you can shoot a 2 3/4, it's no problem in this either. Get one and blast away!

In the fishing world we call them "Hero Shots" :lol:

No. I tend to run to the club when the family is otherwise occupied, so I'm alone, and by the clubs safety rules, they would all have to be long shots of my backside. I figure the world doesn't need that!

My 590A1 started life as a 18.5" 5-shot (MB51410), but I bought a +2 mag tube extension and spring and a Surefire Integrated Forend WeaponLight for home defense. Would this barrel idea work with this 590A1? Would it be nuts to try to learn trap or skeet with that forend light on?

We're talking about the 835® Ulti-Mag® All Purpose Vent Rib, Ported, Bead Sight, 12 Ga., 28", Accu-Mag Set, Matte Blue, SKU 90831, for $178.61 at Mossberg, right?

Mr. Happy said:
My 590A1 started life as a 18.5" 5-shot (MB51410), but I bought a +2 mag tube extension and spring and a Surefire Integrated Forend WeaponLight for home defense. Would this barrel idea work with this 590A1? Would it be nuts to try to learn trap or skeet with that forend light on?

We're talking about the 835® Ulti-Mag® All Purpose Vent Rib, Ported, Bead Sight, 12 Ga., 28", Accu-Mag Set, Matte Blue, SKU 90831, for $178.61 at Mossberg, right?

Would it work? I don't know why not unless something about the +2 rubs on the barrel, which it shouldn't. I wouldn't want to swing that forend around on the skeet range, but it shouldn't be a problem with trap. Much smoother swings covering a shorter distance, and no change of direction. Might want to check the range rules on the magazine size... Though with trap it would be silly to quibble as they only allow one shell loaded direct to chamber on pumps. obviously one in the magazine for doubles.

Thanks much. The +2 extension is easy enough to replace with the original cap and spring, although I remember the forend replacement was a bear. In any event, I can disengage the actual flashlight to reduce the weight. I think I might try it if I can find a low-end price. I haven't done much with the 590A1 except dry-fire training for home defense, and a semi-annual run to the patterning range to wring it out with my choice of HD load, which is #1 buck.

So, I saw this thread and started thinking, how hard would it be to make a sleeve that would fit between the cap on the 8-rd mag, and the barrel ring on the 835 barrel? It wouldn't have to be anything special, just a sleeve that would fit between the two snugly....and could be skeletonized to minimize weight...just thinking...does anyone offer such a product? Maybe we can find someone to whip up a couple of examples?

I'd love to be able to have the option of a longer, ported barrel on my mossy

What do you all think?

easy-v said:
So, I saw this thread and started thinking, how hard would it be to make a sleeve that would fit between the cap on the 8-rd mag, and the barrel ring on the 835 barrel? It wouldn't have to be anything special, just a sleeve that would fit between the two snugly....and could be skeletonized to minimize weight...just thinking...does anyone offer such a product? Maybe we can find someone to whip up a couple of examples?

I'd love to be able to have the option of a longer, ported barrel on my mossy

What do you all think?

So a spacer that would fit between the band on the long 835 barrel, and the nut on the long tube? Theoretically easy. But you'd have to secure the mag tube to the barrel near the nut for stability I would guess. I wouldn't do it personally. A miscalc would certainly lock up the gun if the breech lock system was misaligned. And that would be the "happy ending" The bad ending is the one where you get a face full of shrapnel.

Couldnt you move the barrel ring on the 835 barrel? The 590s ring is silver soldered, isnt it? If the 835 barrels is as well, it could be removed and reattached, in theory at least?

Back