• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What the hell did I just do!!!

,,,,,congrats Mike! you've come a long way since February. keep up the good work. :D

101_0773_zps7a418c82.jpg

Pre Race.

101_0781_zpsf3cef7f7.jpg

I'm the white spec coming over the top of the obstacle.

101_0783_zps3a254477.jpg

Coming off the last obstacle.

101_0784_zps0bae82ca.jpg

Jumping the fire. This was actually a bif scary for me, my glasses were so fogged and streaked with sweat, I couldn't see very well at all.

101_0785_zps84f3b207.jpg

Huge mud pit at the finish. Just in case you didn't get muddy enough on the course.

101_0787_zps735a6d93.jpg

101_0788_zps5de413f5.jpg

Finished!!! There were a few piles of shoes like this scattered about. A company will recycle them and make sure they are used again. (One a side note, I did not realize how much those glasses straps pushed my ears out. :lol: )

I have a video from the head cam but it will take me a bit to edit it down and post it. It's about an hour in length so I need to compress it.

Overall I raised $320 for St. Judes Children's hospital and finished the course in 1:06:52.25. I was 779 out of 940 for my age group. I know I wasn't going to be anywhere near the top but I feel like I've come a long way since Feb. I'm still a big guy but I'm a not as big of a guy who can do a lot more than I could a few months ago.

Already thinking ahead, I signed up for the Crim 10M road race in August and am planning on doing a Tough Mudder next year with some of my family. I need benchmarks to keep me going.

All in all it was a great day. With the obstacles mixed in the run actually felt like it want by extremely fast.

For anyone else that wants to try one of these....

Buy really good, non-cotton socks. I bought some expensive water wicking hiking socks and they were worth every penny.

Do not wear cotton!!!!! My GF got me the t-shirt I wore for the race but it quickly got weighed down with the first water crossing and was very heavy the rest of the run.

You will get mud and water into every conceivable crevice on your body and you may get chaffed in places you never thought possible. Dress light, comfortable and wear clothes that do not hold water.

Here's the headcam video from my run.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9tFz-jQQtY&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
http://youtu.be/J9tFz-jQQtY

Warning I am not the greatest video editor. I left the heavy breathing in for dramatic effect. :lol: :lol: :lol:

oli700 said:
your the man !!!

Thank your Sir!! I take that as quite a compliment coming from a guy that lived 14 days in a makeshift teepee in Alaska.

Edit. Oh, and I registered for the 2nd Warrior Dash in Sept as well. Different venue so different obstacles. Got to keep on doing!! :D

Next goal down, completed a 10K last night

MikeMelonRun_zpscd545572.jpg

No official times posted yet but the race time was about 1:25. My actual chip time may be a minute or so less as I started in the back of the group.

[Edit: Official posted time 1:23:59 13:33/M ]

As per my phone app: http://www.mapmyrun.com/workout/357709217

Next weekend is a 10 Miler. Trying to psych myself up for that one.

Never underestimate us big guys. LOL

Picked up my packet with my bib number and t-shirt last night. :D :D

There will be 10,000+ people running the 10 miler tomorrow. Plus there is a 5K run/walk, 8K run walk and a 1 mile race (1 mile takes place tonight).

The biggest yearly even in Flint and pulls people from all over. Probably one of the safest times you can travel by foot through some of these areas. LOL When I did the 8K walk a few years back they had police and or security at every intersection and at other points throughout the course.

I finished it. Let me just say one thing....ten miles is a long freaking way!!

I finished in 2:28:12. Not sure if time posted is based on my chip or the official start time. I was a long ways back from the line at the start and the chip would account for that.

Either way this is my first race of this length I'm proud as hell to have made it in under 2.5 hours.

Plus from a practical perspective, it's nice to know what you are capable of if the SHTF. :lol:

Warrior Dash # 2 is tomorrow, time is flying by.

I just registered for the Tough Mudder in Ohio on May 17, 2014!!!! Time to step it up another couple of notches.

Yes I'm enjoying it.

I finally hit the 70# mark but am stuck again. The TM will help keep me focused over the winter and hunting seasons. I'm doing it as a team with my brother, his wife and my sister and possibly a few others.

Back