• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What the hell did I just do!!!

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Over the last year I have let myself go more and more. Working a desk job has not helped. I finally decided that I really need to get back in shape, not just for the impending zombie apocolyse but for my own health and well being.

To motivate myself I have signed up for the Warrior Dash in July. I now have approx 5 months to go from doughboy to being able to make it ~3.5 miles through an obstacle course.

I have no delusions about anything and I only hope that I can finish.

What the hell have I gotten myself into?

You have entered the elite group at the top of the chart that choose to accept the challenge of competition! NOW - #1) train to finish and do not finish DFL (if at all possible) and #2) do your best not to embarrass yourself. In that there IS victory!!!

Carry on.

MikeD said:
Over the last year I have let myself go more and more. Working a desk job has not helped. I finally decided that I really need to get back in shape, not just for the impending zombie apocolyse but for my own health and well being.

To motivate myself I have signed up for the Warrior Dash in July. I now have approx 5 months to go from doughboy to being able to make it ~3.5 miles through an obstacle course.

Good luck. I'll be really impressed if you can beat my 48 minute, 6 mile orienteering thru the woods+calisthenics at the USMC Staff Academy Quantico course. Of course, I was only 32 years old at the time. :D ;) At my current age, I'd be lucky to survive the first 2 miles.

I wish I was still 32!!

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

When you finish this one, you'll be ready for the tough mudder bro!!

Mike,
I wish you all the luck in the world on this one!
Please try to get video of the Dash...;)

That is great...a great way to push yourself. I, too, need to good ass beating for letting myself go. Usually I'm walking all the time for my back and for hunting. All the archery I do gets me a couple miles 3-4 times a week, especially the field course at the club (hills, dirt, mud, etc).

Get yourself a partner that will push you and you them. Makes it easier to work with someone than alone.

MikeD said:

start with one of the couch to 5K programs.
bump it up to a 4 or 5 mile trail run.

I thank you all greatly for your vote of confidence!!

Good thing you don't know how overweight and out of shape I really am. :shock:

I gave up pop a week ago and have cut back to a sub 1800 calorie diet.

A Mossberg Owners T-Shirt would be kind of a cool thing to wear. <hint hint>

I'll keep posting my training progress here. I need as much motivation as I can get!!

Dude ! looks like fun ......I was the starting center on a 2 time state champion football team…..8 years and was into power lifting for those years.

I have the kind of metabolism that only responds to diet.
I can work and work , if I am not eating right I won’t cut weight at all. On the flip side of that, the same metabolism allows me to gain muscle mass faster than my work out partners. I don’t lift much at all anymore but concentrate on cardio and diet.....diet being huge, furthermore portion control is huge for me.
A partner is key, a partner faster and stronger than you is a blessing.
My partner now is my dog. We do the 4 mile loop at least 5 times a week. He is awesome, I will never wear him out and he never complains about the weather, he is always ready to go.
My cardio is in a place it hasn’t been in years and years….I quit smoking a year and few months ago, that helps too. Smoking never was a problem, youth pulled me through….I actually never smoked till I was all done with sports later in life…. Never realized how much it actually affected me till a few months after I quit.

lol I know I am only 20 but when I started at the Railroad it was like Freshmen 15 all over again! I was eating fatty foods, lunch cakes, not exercising... It happens and easily. I wish you best of luck with your competition and will be cheering you on!

One thing to consider though... the Pillsbury Doughboy gets touched by all kinds of women... ;)

MikeD said:
I thank you all greatly for your vote of confidence!!

Good thing you don't know how overweight and out of shape I really am. :shock:

I gave up pop a week ago and have cut back to a sub 1800 calorie diet.

I'll keep posting my training progress here. I need as much motivation as I can get!!
Im 6' and topped out at 202 pounds with a desk job. Identifying the problem, making AND stating your plan is a good start. As bad out of shape as you think you are, there are worse, just stay after it. set goals and focus on those goals.
Last July 4 I did my first 5K. It started at 6pm, it was freaking hot. There was a guy there that was probably 6'5" and all over 350 pounds. took him an hour to do it, but he finished it in just over an hour. My time on my first 5K was 47 minutes. the most recent was 32 minutes.

I'v made it two weeks without any soft drinks. And have survived a week now on my new diet. I set a 1800 calorie limit on myself but have been feeling OK at around 1400. I'll probably adjust this as a bit as I increase the intensity of my workouts.

Been walking every day to will be stepping it up a bit this week.

Actually dropped 10 pounds already and am feeling good!!

10 lbs !!! Awesome man....awesome ! sounds stupid but try not to lose any faster than that if your training a strenuous activity.....do it too fast and you will go into it weaker, you would be better off a little over weight......keep doing what you’re doing , you the man

oli700 said:
10 lbs !!! Awesome man....awesome ! sounds stupid but try not to lose any faster than that if your training a strenuous activity.....do it too fast and you will go into it weaker, you would be better off a little over weight......keep doing what you’re doing , you the man

I have a confession and I am embarresed to say this but I started this at a weight of 336lbs. Most people would not guees my weight accurately as I do have a muscular frame.

I am concerned with losing too much too fast and expect it to level off a bit once the initial change in diet becomes the norm. I will be upping the caloric intake as I become more active to make sure I keep my energy levels up and not continually hit the wall.

MikeD said:

Not trying to hijack Mikes thread BUTTTTTT, This would be a great idea!!!
Especially in sizes that will fit Me and Mike (Now, not after all his weight loss)

MikeD said:
oli700 said:

I have a confession and I am embarresed to say this but I started this at a weight of 336lbs. Most people would not guees my weight accurately as I do have a muscular frame.

I am concerned with losing too much too fast and expect it to level off a bit once the initial change in diet becomes the norm. I will be upping the caloric intake as I become more active to make sure I keep my energy levels up and not continually hit the wall.
Sound like a good plan, Eff embarrassment this is your house, don’t ever be embarrassed here bro, you’re doing it, it is what it is, I’m here for ya I don’t care if you started at 500

congrats. 10 pounds in a week is probably pushing it. since you gave up soda, make sure you keep up your water intake. You will go thru your plateaus and in another week or so, your body is probably gonna scream at you, stop dropping weight, and in a way, shut down. stay with the schedule, your body will adjust and drop some more.

Back