• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Photo Gallery

yea, doesn't change things. you have a Mossberg 500 which is the main thing. kinda cool though to have something kinda rare in that condition.

1ee091973820765898f2b18e92aa4f5c.jpg

Picked up this 16ga 500B this afternoon...

Gave $160 bucks for it. Has the original wood with the rat tail forend, 28" mod choke barrel, and the smoothest action I've ever felt. For being manufactured somewhere between 1963-68, this thing is in exceptional condition. There are a few minor dings and some small spots of contact rust, but it'll clean up easy enough...

Great find!, I've got a liking for the 16 ga too. Not sure why, as I'm really not a hunter (contemplating taking it up sooner or later), but just like shooting my two 16 ga. shotguns.
I'm guessing that gun was made before I was born (1970)?
Mark

Thank you Sir.

I'm guessing that gun was made before I was born (1970)?
Mark

Yes Sir it was.

Near as I can find, Mossberg began production of the 500B in 1963. This particular firearm has no serial number so it pre-dates the 1968 Gun Control Act. Won't be able to get a more specific manufacture date, but at least I've narrowed it down to a five year window...

Got out to the range with the new early 60's vintage 500B 16ga this morning...

This'll be my small game gun, so I put up an appropriate target...

First shot from 25yd...

...after the first mag...

...and after the entire box...

I think I got 'em. Shoots pretty damn good and the action is the smoothest of any pump gun I've ever had...

Well, turns out I haven't posted here in a long while.

This is the same Persuader from before, just a couple changes.

image.jpg

I've used this for unwanted critters in the yard, a couple birds, and I intend to use it for turkey. It patterns very nicely for a 12 ga 20" cylinder bore.

I love seeing that beast!

Does the stock pack loaded up with shells change the balance at all? Does it hit your forearm as you bring it up to your shoulder?

No, it doesn't interfere as of yet. If Allison isn't feeling better tomorrow, ill go ahead and do some shooting to see how it feels.

Personally, I like the weight. As pictured, there are ten rounds on the stock, all but 3 are 3" magnums. I had thought it feels better balanced with the extra lead on the end. Though I've not loaded the magazine yet like this, I don't anticipate it being uncomfortable. It's not something I'd want to hold ready indefinitely I'm certain, but when I walk the property or hike to a hunting spot I sling it African carry and it's been pleasant.

Firing will be the litmus test, and for you, I'll do it tomorrow! ;)

@LAZY EYED SNIPER
I loaded the gun with 3" Hornady turkey magnums, eight in all plus the 10 on the stock. As pictured, the Persuader can carry 18 rounds of 12 ga awesomeness.

You know how lighter guns sometimes feel snappy when fired? This is the opposite of that, this is like a lead sled. This would be more comparable to driving around my old 79 Cherokee Chief 4 door.

It's heavy. But heavy here does not equal uncomfortable nor unwieldy.

The padded cheek piece of the stock pack is very nice and the pack held firm in place. 5 consecutive shots of the magnum loads didn't unseat it.

Overall balance feels good, it's not at all difficult to shoulder. It isn't the least bit difficult to stand, holding the sight on target, and firing. In fact, I find the balance better still than longer field guns.

The end.

Last edited:
Back