• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Photo Gallery

You guys are too kind! The refinished wood (the sporting forend kind is purely for looks - I don't like the corn cob or rat tail ones) gives the gun some character, but it's otherwise bone stock. I replaced the mag spring because I tend to leave guns loaded, but that doesn't show. Now I'm on my 3rd Mossy and although I got it at Big 5 I'm pleasantly surprised by the mirror finish of the bore and the quality of the bluing. I heard that quality was down on the base 870, but this entry-level shotgun from Mossberg doesn't feel cheap at all. Lots of gun for the money!

I've never fired a "high end" gun, or at least the expensive ones. You know the names. But I've fired all the "entry level" guns and none come close to being so pleasing to shoot.

I recently considered briefly, an 887 nitro mag turkey gun. It looked fancy, and mean somehow, but in a Buck Rodgers way. I liked the choke tube, the fiber optic sights, and I even thought I could deal with all of its plastic coated glory. I figured at the very least I'd spray paint it. But something always felt wrong and dirty when I thought about it. I realized I hadn't thoroughly checked the Mossberg offerings. And I found the 835 ulti-mag with its accu-mag chokes. All is good.

No high-end gun experience here either. Shotguns are work guns for me (home defense or private security) - I have zero experience in the hunting and sporting worlds. So I've naturally been exposed to the Big 3 and I like them all, but Mossberg seems (for me) to have struck that "everything is right" note. I normally gravitate towards all-steel, solid-feeling firearms, and you'd think that the 870 would be my thing. I even prefer the looks of it. But the ergos are so superior on the 500-590 that I would never consider owning the remmy (my brother has one and I managed to jam it). The fact that the lifter is not blocking the access to the magazine tube has become a must-have feature after having experienced it on Mossbergs. It's gonna sound sappy, but I missed just having one of those around and bought this one pretty much just because!

Looks a lot like my Model 500, plain blue with no gadgets hanging off. Right now I have set of black plastic that I have on, but have two sets of wood as well, which I like so much better. I have a set of the original late 1970's "hunting style" stock/forend and a set of GI issue/Policeman type of wood. Thinking about putting the original set back on once the stock gets back from having the recoil pad fitted.
Mark

Way off topic, but it is so great to see a "traditional" style pocketknife lurking about. Thought I was the only person who likes/carries them anymore? Most photos of pocketknives I see posted are the "tactical" type.
Mark

Yeah, it's a whole other topic, but I hear you on that as I've been moving away from all things tacticool for a while myself. Much of it is a marketing ploy anyway. "Stamp it 'tactical', paint it black and jack up the price!"... And unless you're an operator, it kinda screams wannabe and can send the wrong message. While they have the same exact capabilities, a shotty that looks like grampa's gun won't have the same image as an all-black tricked-out one if, God forbid, they end up in court some day. It's not a popular view in most (free) states, but here in Kali we have to know that we are very unlikely to face a jury of our peers. I know I cultivate a certain understated exterior in all my possessions both by taste (it's part of aging) and by pure caution.
It's funny when you think about it because hunting ammo tend to have more devastating power than the tactical loads, and yet, to most people hunting gear comes across as more innocent somehow.

http://www.thejuryexpert.com/2009/0...s-and-the-fears-of-the-legally-armed-citizen/

Way off topic, but it is so great to see a "traditional" style pocketknife lurking about. Thought I was the only person who likes/carries them anymore? Most photos of pocketknives I see posted are the "tactical" type.
Mark
Hey thanks for noticing the pocketknife, that's an old Schrade that I've had for years. I never leave the house without it. Vintage would be a good way to describe me and the knife Lol.

Yeah, it's a whole other topic, but I hear you on that as I've been moving away from all things tacticool for a while myself. Much of it is a marketing ploy anyway. "Stamp it 'tactical', paint it black and jack up the price!"... And unless you're an operator, it kinda screams wannabe and can send the wrong message. While they have the same exact capabilities, a shotty that looks like grampa's gun won't have the same image as an all-black tricked-out one if, God forbid, they end up in court some day. It's not a popular view in most (free) states, but here in Kali we have to know that we are very unlikely to face a jury of our peers. I know I cultivate a certain understated exterior in all my possessions both by taste (it's part of aging) and by pure caution.
It's funny when you think about it because hunting ammo tend to have more devastating power than the tactical loads, and yet, to most people hunting gear comes across as more innocent somehow.

http://www.thejuryexpert.com/2009/0...s-and-the-fears-of-the-legally-armed-citizen/
Twelve Pump you raise a very good point. Though I keep most things pretty basic and practical, part of my aging at 55, I never really thought about what might happen if the appearance of your firearm gave off the wrong signals in a court of law. Very interesting point and something to think about.

Back