• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Photo Gallery

By the way, that's a mold of a Brown Bear claw from Southeast Alaska sitting by my pipe and pocketknife. About 5 in. long.

Twelve Pump you raise a very good point. Though I keep most things pretty basic and practical, part of my aging at 55, I never really thought about what might happen if the appearance of your firearm gave off the wrong signals in a court of law. Very interesting point and something to think about.
It completely depends on the circumstances of a shooting and also the local politics surrounding it, so there's no absolutes on this. In my neck of the wood, low-profile is the name of the game for gun owners and this impacts my choices in weaponry, even when purely cosmetic.

It completely depends on the circumstances of a shooting and also the local politics surrounding it, so there's no absolutes on this. In my neck of the wood, low-profile is the name of the game for gun owners and this impacts my choices in weaponry, even when purely cosmetic.
Makes sense, know your area I guess.

When it comes to pocketknives I always have an older "camping style" knife on my key chain, right now it is a 1950's Imperial Kamp-King. Sometimes I have an older Camilus Model 99 in it's place. When I lived in Alaska I had a Swiss Army Knife on my keys.

I usually also carry another knife, just because it is easier to use without the keys hanging off it LOL. Right now that is a 1950's era Colonial TL-29, sometimes it is an older Imperial. I do have a Schrade Muskrat pattern, but it is new, but is traditional looking.

I stay away from the tactical stuff, I was just a Plane Captain in a Fighter Squadron...not a SEAL LOL!!! I'll leave that to the people who actually were issued and used that stuff LOL!!!
Mark

What am I missing?[/QUOTE
What am I missing?
I think he's referring to a part of a conversation about firearm appearances in a court of law where a member said:
What am I missing?

What am I missing?
I think he's referring to a part of a conversation concerning the "appearance" of a firearm in a court of law where a member pointed out:
Yeah, it's a whole other topic, but I hear you on that as I've been moving away from all things tactical for a while myself. Much of it is a marketing ploy anyway. "Stamp it 'tactical', paint it black and jack up the price!"... And unless you're an operator, it kinda screams wannabe and can send the wrong message. While they have the same exact capabilities, a shotty that looks like grampa's gun won't have the same image as an all-black tricked-out one if, God forbid, they end up in court some day. It's not a popular view in most (free) states, but here in Kali we have to know that we are very unlikely to face a jury of our peers. I know I cultivate a certain understated exterior in all my possessions both by taste (it's part of aging) and by pure caution.
It's funny when you think about it because hunting ammo tend to have more devastating power than the tactical loads, and yet, to most people hunting gear comes across as more innocent somehow.

What is an "operator"? I take it that is the new word for Marine or Soldier?

One who operates a gun etc., it could refer to anyone in the military, blackwater or an internet poser who plays to much Call Of Duty. It's been overused to the point of being a joke IMHO.

Born from training manuals and instruction "the operator must then .........".....all the manuals and training material I have that came from the military is written like this if it's written post 70's......pre 70's manuals are mostly clear text and little illustrations , hand drawn

I recently bought an Eotech, the manual is " operator this, operator that"

I guess I'm a wannabe. LOL

Seems like most of my accessories are black, not all by choice, it's just the only freaking color they sell stuff in any more.

Even my waterfowl edition 930 came with black hardware.

I think it's pretty easy to differentiate functional, tactical and tacticool.

That out of the way and back on topic, I really like the wood hardware on those 500's

Gents, I'm steering clear of this one. I believe if you're an American, own a firearm and use it responsibly, it really doesn't matter what color it is.

Perception is everything but if your in a court of law, right is right and wrong is wrong......it is entirely possable to save the day and be in the right with a Steyr AUG

this is one of the great internet wives tales......it's hand and hand with using reloaded ammo in you defensive weapon.......Using hollow points in a defensive shooting

I guess I'm a wannabe. LOL

Seems like most of my accessories are black, not all by choice, it's just the only freaking color they sell stuff in any more.

Even my waterfowl edition 930 came with black hardware.

I think it's pretty easy to differentiate functional, tactical and tacticool.

That out of the way and back on topic, I really like the wood hardware on those 500's
Me too mikeyD.......this wannabe out shoots operators on a regular basis

Back