• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First line of defense, Tactical Dog Thread!

Thanks guys! Folks are often a little taken a back the first time they come over to our house. I get it, he is pretty menacing looking. He's a big ol sissy dog though. My kids ride him, my in-laws chiweenie chases him around the yard, my cat beats up on him... Truth is, even though he's 90lbs of solid muscle, in his mind he's a delicate lap dog that want's to sit on top of anyone who will show him attention and just be loved on. No kidding guy's, this pooch never even barks. He's kinda dumb too, and by kinda I actually mean mostly lol We actually refer to him as our "special needs" child.

I grew up around pits, one of them was my uncle's 100 pounder named E.Z.

He would harness him up to a pulley system and use him to pull hay bails up to the barn loft. Had a head like a big block engine, but was a big 'ole baby...

image.jpg

This is my wife's early birthday present. He doesn't have a name yet. Our first American Bulldog died from lymphoma a little more than a year ago at the age of nine. We got her in Alabama, an 11 hour drive one way. She was my wife's baby and she has missed her dearly and really hasn't stopped looking for another since her death.

We got this boy last night. The color on his face is a blue or blue brindle and he has bright blue eyes. The blue color is a disqualification in bulldogs, but my wife isn't showing anymore and we aren't breeding at all so we don't really care.

The blue is from one of a few sources. Alapaha bulldogs, Catahoula leopard dogs, or pitbulls. I feel the Alapaha is most plausible in this case. I know of at least one story of someone purchasing a dog directly from John D Johson, a prolific breeder of bulldogs, with blue merling. Merle doesn't occur in bulldog lines without introducing a cross I mentioned above and both the Johnson farm and Alapahas originate in Georgia. A few or several years ago, Alapaha breeders were accepting of crossing bulldogs into their lines due to a very small genetic pool to breed from. It's not a leap to believe the reverse is also true. There have been Alapahas in ohio for some time and we're told this pups sire is of Johnson lineage.

I don't know if there are any other bulldog people here, but I'd be interested in some other takes on this. At one time, when my wife was showing dogs, we had 5 bulldogs. We sometimes shared dogs, or took in dogs like fostering, until full time homes could be found. 5 bulldogs can be tricky.

As I type this, his name could be Pig or Finn. Those are the front runners with one child opposed to one and another child opposed to the other. As a family we have a 72 hour rule. If a suitable name hasn't been picked, it goes to a vote with majority rule.

Last edited:
+1 for finn....Did they get that name from star wars?

How about Mickey Finn?

Back