What's new
Mossberg Owners

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

10mm reloading

I really want to try some #9, I might pick some up before I shoot for the first time but I am going to head to Tyler’s tomorrow and load about 30 in Blue Dot, Alliant gives their loading at 11 grains so I'll try 10 at 10.5, 10 at 10.7 and 10 at 11 and see how they do, when I get the pistol lol

Bill~

Can I give some unsolicited suggestions?

I have the printed Alliant load data book, and it bases the 11.0-grains of Blue Dot on using a Gold Dot Hollow Point (which is a plated not jacketed) bullet seated at 1.250"

I have the printed Hornady load data book, and it tested Blue Dot using the 180-gr XTP Hollow Point (which is a true jacketed) seated at 1.260"

They publish:

7.5 gr 8.1 gr 8.6 gr 9.1 gr 9.6 gr 10.2 gr 10.7 gr
950 1000 1050 1100 1150 1200 1250

Two nights ago I Xeroxed all the 10mm pages from my four load books so I am going to include them in the box I am mailing you.

nitesite said:
Bill~

Can I give some unsolicited suggestions?

always

nitesite said:
Two nights ago I Xeroxed all the 10mm pages from my four load books so I am going to include them in the box I am mailing you.

Thanks for taking care of me !.......I had no clue that GD's were plated......damn I'm a rookie

nitesite said:
Just curious, mingaa....

Do you have any Unique or Accurate #7 to experiment with?

I think your SD loads would greatly benefit by at least trying Unique or AA7 in your 9mm and forty.

Best,

Dave
No I don't but for $20 or so it sounds like I should get a pound and see what it does. I'm lucky to have 3 well stocked LGS that handle plenty of reloading supplies. I'm early in the learning curve - thanks for the input!!

Here are some Of my reloads , I haven’t shot the flat nose Barry's yet as I just reloaded them tonight…..big thanks to my good buddy Nightsite……the Hornady shoot great and I seem to be having good luck with the Blue Dot powder.

IMG_1103.jpg

I have been loading 10mm for about 25 years. I have tried all of the usual powders and bullets but I keep coming back to the 180 - 200 grain bullets and Blue Dot powder. This combination consistently provides the best accuracy with good velocity. The other advantage it has is that it uses most of the case space so you get consistent ignition. Good luck with the 10.

saleen322 said:
I have been loading 10mm for about 25 years. I have tried all of the usual powders and bullets but I keep coming back to the 180 - 200 grain bullets and Blue Dot powder. This combination consistently provides the best accuracy with good velocity. The other advantage it has is that it uses most of the case space so you get consistent ignition. Good luck with the 10.

This is really a terrific good post. I shoot and reload only 180s. Thank you for contributing to the thread! I gave you a +1 Rep point.

After looking at Accurate sheets it looks like #7 is a great candidate for my 125 minor 147 gr 9mm, my hot XTP SD 9mm, my major 40mm 180 gr comp loads and add a bit more for 155 SD ammo.

Time for some testing against my mix-match Tight Group and WSF that I have built to date.

Many thanks! One powder up and down for 4 important loads would be great and while #7 is not spherical it IS not the corn flakes of what I am currently using and I highly suspect that it will be more consistant!!

Good to hear Saleen. I shot some Barry’s 180 over 10.5 of Blue Dot today. Seemed like a great load when I could press the trigger right. I really need to learn this Glock…love the set up and learning is so fun.

The power is really surprising in this cartridge, especially for the lack of recoil. I put a paper target is a pine, about 9 inches diameter.
I shot one XTP 180 over 10.7 of Blue Dot to test accuracy at 10 yards, walked up to inspect the target and noticed it had shot clean through the tree…that is some power for an auto

Entry
1203121129a95224684.jpg

8” Leatherman stretched out a little, solid Ponderosa Pine
1203121128a95237980.jpg

Exit
1203121129b95222390.jpg

mingaa said:
After looking at Accurate sheets it looks like #7 is a great candidate for my 125 minor 147 gr 9mm, my hot XTP SD 9mm, my major 40mm 180 gr comp loads and add a bit more for 155 SD ammo.

Time for some testing against my mix-match Tight Group and WSF that I have built to date.

Many thanks! One powder up and down for 4 important loads would be great and while #7 is not spherical it IS not the corn flakes of what I am currently using and I highly suspect that it will be more consistant!!

K.H.~~

Accurate #7 meters even better than Titegroup. It's a very fine ball-type powder and each throw is consistent with the last. I swear that it is superb in many 9mm and especially 147-gr loads!

Accurate #9 is similar in the way it meters, for you Ten MM guys looking for some action......... :cool:

nitesite said:
Accurate #9 is similar in the way it meters, for you Ten MM guys looking for some action......... :cool:

next , the Blue Dot dosent meter that great for me, I went and bought a trickler and it helps a lot

Accurate #9 is not recommended for 9 or 40 and I have the 7 and will probably load some this week. I just looked at Blue Dot and the upper end loads hot 1200+ fps (more than the #7) for 124 (9) and 155 (40) - very interesting that they drop by over 200 fps when moving to the heavier loads - 147 & 180. I want a powder that meters well, especially if I'm at the top of the scale but I may have to try Blue Dot for those 2 SD loads in 9 & 40. 1200+ with an XTP on it is getting pretty hot IMHO.

mingaa~

I have loaded AA7 under 147-gr XTPs that actually chrono at WAY over 1100-fps and have absolutely ZERO flash signature.

AA7_9mm_147.jpg

AA_9mm_boost.jpg

It rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good words AND it's next in line. Excellent point that their data and my (your) G34 barrel (5.32") will add fps for sure. That's the gun that I want the 125 minor power factor load (147 gr.) for AND the hot SD load (124 gr.) and #7 does look good for both. I have the trifecta of 9mm barrels - the Taurus 709 ( a gun that I think you are familiar with too!) with a 2.5" barrel and a Kahr CW9 with a 3.5" barrel. When I chrono the same load in the three they step up nicely in FPS. The two smaller guns spend a lot of time for carry. The Glock is for 99% competition and HD.

With all of the talk about 10MMs, I dusted mine off and loaded some ammo for it. My load was 10.0 Blue Dot with a 180 XTP/HP. My Hornady manual (8th Edition) lists max at 10.7 for Blue Dot. Out of my gun, the 10.0 load clocks out at 1252 fps which generates 627 ft/lbs of energy. For comparison, Speer doesn’t list a 10MM load but the .40 S&W 180 Gold Dot comes out at 1025 fps generating 420 ft/lbs of energy. This means that this 10MM load has 207 ft/lbs more energy than the .40 Gold Dot factory load or nearly 50% more energy. On the recoil side, this is stout round. Figuring the guns weigh about 2.5 pounds the .40 S&W Gold Dot load would have about 6.3 ft/lbs of recoil while this 10MM load would create about 9.4 ft/lbs or about 50% more recoil as well. I am satisfied with this level of performance from an autoloader. I did not have the steadiest hands today but the pistol shot a respectable 10-shot group at 25 yards. Hope this helps.

10MMTgt.jpg
10MMChrony.jpg

Thanks!

Thanks guys for the Rep points! I did not even notice until I made this last post on the 10MM. That was very kind of you all.

Sweet ! I was shooting some Barrys 180 over 10.5 of BD and my XTP's are at 10.7. They shoot great when I do my part, learning the Glock trigger is frustrating me some coming off a 3 lbs trigger on an SP-01 9mm. I am getting better slowly......my 25 yard group is about the size of the 8/7 ring on your target......

I have a question for saleem322 and oli700~

Are either of you experiencing any "Glock bulge" or "Glock smiley" on your brass? I tend to use fairly slow powders and I've never encountered any problem. Resizing is almost effortless.

saleen322~

Nice Delta, and thanks for jumping into this thread. I really like seeing those chrono numbers; I use my Chrony less than I once did and I need to take it out more often.

BTW, that's a pretty low number car!!!!!!

Long post, sorry. About 20-25 years ago I did some part time gunsmith work at home and I had to maintain a FFL to comply with the law. Anyway I get this flyer from a distributor with these brand new 10MM pistols they were closing out for like around $200 or something around there!! They were made by IAI. Now IAI (Irwindale Arms Inc) was another name that AMT used during one of their money trouble periods. AMT was one of the companies that produced the old Auto Mag like the one that Clint Eastwood used in "Sudden Impact." Anyhow, a stainless 1911 with adjustable sights in the then pretty new 10MM for $200, well.....sure! The pistol was labeled Javelina and it shot well but had an awful trigger and the worst hammer bite I ever experienced. Over the years I modified the frame some (it was not exactly the same as a milspec 1911) to take a 1911 beaver tail safety and a commander hammer and I took the trigger to 3.5 lbs. See you have a lot of courage with a $200 gun! The brass I bought back then is what I am still using, mostly Federal and Star Line. I have had no problems with it but I never loaded it max and used Blue Dot most of the time. In fact, just this week, I found an unopened box of 1000 Star Line cases from the 90s (could tell as it had my old address on the box) so I am good to go for another 20 years. :D

Thanks for the car comment. My Saleen is an old 99 model but it is one of only 20 Cobra Saleens that year--most were based on Mustang Gts. It is in the garage most of the time but now that I am retired, maybe I will get it out more.
Saleen.jpg