• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

10mm reloading

So I did some bench shooting today. Started with the Barry’s plated 180 grain(thanks Dave) with 10.5 grains of Blue dot….30 feet benched.

The top two are an example of all the 5 shot groups shot by my son and I.

I would shoot 5, hand him 5 and so on. His target on the right and mine on the left
To us we were convinced the Glock 29 was shooting left, but decent group for us.

1208121152b95282670.jpg

Then I put in 5 Hornady XTP 180 grain, 10.7 grains of Blue Dot, benched 30 feet. I shot 2 more 5 shot groups and they were similar but this was my best of the day…again this is really good for my skill level.
That is my size 12 wedding ring for reference, man was I happy with that.
1208121215a95325512.jpg

5 rounds, same load, off hand , 30 feet
1208121152a95282702.jpg

This is my carry ammo so I think I’ll leave the sights alone

OUTSTANDING oli!

Nicely done Sir. If you notice you're shooting consistently left, try put'n little more finger across the trigger. Too little and you could be pushing your shots to the left as you squeeze...

Thanks man ! I'll mess with finger placement more, both Daniel and I were shooting it left so ...weird that it was so much more with the Barry's loads for both of us

Yeah, that is wierd.

Never know though, your sights could be off a touch. Either way with shoot'n like that I think you're ok... :D

Have the local authorities come by yet, demanding you pay for the special permit required to unleash the thermonuclear power of the 10mm on the surrounding countryside?

:D I am loving the 10.Like you said it’s not like holding on to a tornado, but it has some balls, as some decent muzzle blast too. Today was the first time I shot it from the shelter so I really noticed it, says power for sure.
I think a 357 from a revolver (sp 101 4") has more felt recoil but when the 10 hits the gong it is distinctively harder than the other handgun that we were shooting today. The 357 has good power but the 10 just rang those gongs hard......didn’t have a 45acp today, they ring loud too.

10mm-1.jpg

I knew I had a RCBS bullet mold in 10mm but it wasn't in with the other molds. This started another project, find all molds, make sure they are serviceable and list them in the computer so I can remember what I have. Anyway, I track this mold down in the bottom of a packing box (I only moved 6+ years ago!) and cast about 300 bullets. I thought I would just make a mild-moderate load for the 10 so I just loaded 7.0 of blue dot. The bullets came out at 207 grains with the alloy I have which is mostly reclaimed bullet lead. Well my hands were telling me that this was a little stronger than I thought it would be and the chronograph displayed that. Those lead bullets seal the barrel so well that I was getting around 970 fps which generates over 430 ft/lbs of energy. For reference, the law enforcement loads for a 40 S&W are in the 400 - 420 ft/lb range.
10MMCastChrony.jpg

The surprise came when I shot 10 rounds into a target off-hand at 25 yards. Now I did not readjust the sights so they were a little low but it printed a group of around 3 1/4". I am putting this into my good load list. :D

10mmCastTgt.jpg

saleen322 said:
I knew I had a RCBS bullet mold in 10mm but it wasn't in with the other molds. This started another project, find all molds, make sure they are serviceable and list them in the computer so I can remember what I have. Anyway, I track this mold down in the bottom of a packing box (I only moved 6+ years ago!) and cast about 300 bullets. I thought I would just make a mild-moderate load for the 10 so I just loaded 7.0 of blue dot. The bullets came out at 207 grains with the alloy I have which is mostly reclaimed bullet lead. Well my hands were telling me that this was a little stronger than I thought it would be and the chronograph displayed that. Those lead bullets seal the barrel so well that I was getting around 970 fps which generates over 430 ft/lbs of energy. For reference, the law enforcement loads for a 40 S&W are in the 400 - 420 ft/lb range.
10MMCastChrony.jpg

The surprise came when I shot 10 rounds into a target off-hand at 25 yards. Now I did not readjust the sights so they were a little low but it printed a group of around 3 1/4". I am putting this into my good load list. :D

10mmCastTgt.jpg

Note to self - take camera with zoom in gear bag (stop depending on phone). I'll chrono some tomorrow but the way I'm set up at the (public) range I ca.t approach it until a cease fire - I can see it but a phone image would be worthless.

Is that the "ON TARGET" program that you are using on the lower shot?? A nice free download that I use a lot if so. :D

Thanks for posting your awesome posts ! Looks awesome ! I need to get a land and groove barrel for my 29 because I have a cubic butt load of lead.....please check our casting threads here too, your contributions and opinions are welcome here

Dear Santa, Bring me a land & groove rifled barrel for my Glock so I can shoot more 10mm. I have not been all that good but hey, I'm honest and I know you like that s**t....thanks

oli~~

Here's a photo I took of the muzzle flash from one of my G29 handloads which is pretty good compared to a pic I took of a factory Gold Dot load....

AA7_10mm_180.jpg

GAGoldDotG29.jpg

wow, I would imagine the 12 grains of #7 is fairly stout too right ? Is Georgia Arms that much more or is it because of different powder

Also, what do you guys make of what seems to be a little unburned powder falling out of the gun, I noticed after shooting about 50 rounds, a little unburned Blue Dot fell out of the frame so I tapped the gun on the bench and got a total of about 3 or 4 grains of what appears to be unburned powder ???

The 12.0-grains of AA#7 is the MAX published load for a 180 in the Speer #13 manual for around 1200-fps. It's flash-suppressed powder, obviously. Accurate #9 is reportedly similarly flash-suppressed.

I think the GA load is brighter simply because they are using a different powder, not because it has a higher powder charge.

I think Alliant, cuz they know how you are, is sticking non-combustable flakes of Blue Dot in your cannister just to piss you off.

Not to keep dragging 9mm into the discussion (40 will be next on the bench) but yesterday I tested 2 batches using #7 with great results. I used 6gr with a Montana Gold round nose 147 aiming for a minor comp load. It was a little hotter than needed at ave. 950 fps (G34) - that's a 139 power factor.

I also used 7gr. with a 124 Hornady XTP (a conservative hot load). Those hit 1150 fps and were dead accurate ( a tad high as hot rounds do). I still have .4-.9 to go (depending on which bullet (Hornady not listed) I model the load after. 1200+ will be a piece of cake. The length of the Glock barrel helped some. I'll shoot them from my shorter 9s soon.

Yep, I love the way the stuff meters too. I tested WSF rounds as well and the variation was a good bit wider. The #7 was the tightest I've seen yet. An excellent recommendation!!

K.H.~~

It sounds like you are finding Accurate #7 to be a really viable 9mm powder!

The 6.0-gr load with a 147 bullet sounds like an exceptional competition load! I bet it shoots well and has very low recoil.

I've loaded Self Defense ammo with 7.0-grains of #7 under 124-gr XTPs and even 7.0-grains under a 147-gr XTP and loved the full power from a nine millimeter!

Anyway, I'm glad you tried #7 and found it good.

Best,

Dave

oli700 said:
I'll show those jerks, I''m adding another grain to make up for it

If 3~4 flakes fell out shouldn't you be adding 3~4 grains to compensate?

Isn't a flake of powder similar to a grain of sand, or a grain of salt, or a grain of smokeless powder?

Like a 1:1 ratio?

nitesite said:
oli700 said:
I'll show those jerks, I''m adding another grain to make up for it

If 3~4 flakes fell out shouldn't you be adding 3~4 grains to compensate?

Isn't a flake of powder similar to a grain of sand, or a grain of salt, or a grain of smokeless powder?

Like a 1:1 ratio?
*mingaa puts on body armor and crawls under his desk* :eek:

Welllll........

Now that I think about it, if 50-rounds left four flakes in the pistol action that would be maybe a tenth of a flake per round.

So compensating should be a tenth of a flake of powder per cartridge, right?

I'm just trying to figure this whole reloading thing out.

Back