• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

My first impressions with the 1911 wasn't so great. But Now that it's running like its supposed to I am very very pleased.
DWs sure are tight when new, especially for stainless guns. My CBOB locked up once during disassembly (a mallet did the trick) and required a bushing wrench in the beginning. It also hiccupped during the first 3-400 rounds. Now it's smooth and finger-tight, very accurate and reliable... but someone not ready for all this could've balked, especially given the purchase price.
I've been shooting 1911s for so long now that nothing else feels right in my hand. Good luck in IDPA!

DWs sure are tight when new, especially for stainless guns. My CBOB locked up once during disassembly (a mallet did the trick) and required a bushing wrench in the beginning. It also hiccupped during the first 3-400 rounds. Now it's smooth and finger-tight, very accurate and reliable... but someone not ready for all this could've balked, especially given the purchase price.
I've been shooting 1911s for so long now that nothing else feels right in my hand. Good luck in IDPA!

Thanks! I shot the SSP division (most crowded division) and I was coming in top 5 with my last comp in 4th place with 7th place overall out of 30+ shooters. Looking to do the same or better in CDP. Trick is I need quick reloads and no hesitation on my shots from the draw. Practice is the key. I have a training session in a couple of weeks so I'll probably post vids.

Got my Dan Wesson Valor 1911 a couple of weeks ago. First 7 shots the slide locked on the frame and needed a rubber mallet to separate it. I sent it back to Dan Wesson (now CZ USA) and they had it back to me in less than a week. They refit the slide and frame.

Took it out today and ran 400 rounds of 230gr ball ammo and it functioned like it's supposed to. I am very impressed with the ergonomics of the 1911. It really does point naturally and the SA trigger is VERY NICE

21918303275_a36f545969_z.jpg

First 15 rounds 7 yards (After the Fix from the Manufacturer):

21730467298_fa7e512796_z.jpg

Precision shooting - 4 yards, 5 shot groups off hand:

21730465818_b2dd2ea133_z.jpg

21918300175_7717f7a6ed_z.jpg

I ran this thing hard today to ensure it was fixed. Did a lot of drills and ran it so hot I literally had to put it down after I did 5 sets of 5 round rapid mag dumps into the target.

My first impressions with the 1911 wasn't so great. But Now that it's running like its supposed to I am very very pleased. I'm gonna bring some heat in the CDP division in IDPA next year.
One helluva weapon....love the grips too

Glad it's running right for you now.

I hate having to send a gun back.

Glad it's running right for you now.

I hate having to send a gun back.

Yeah me too. Luckily they got it and fixed it in a week.

First time I had to do that. First time a firearm turned into a paperweight on me as well.

If the slide/frame fit was seizing up as you described, there was nothing most end users could've done on their end to fix that. That was clearly a spec/fit problem the manufacturer needed to address.

I'm glad they took care of it. And I'm glad they had a relatively quick turnaround on it too.

If the slide/frame fit was seizing up as you described, there was nothing most end users could've done on their end to fix that. That was clearly a spec/fit problem the manufacturer needed to address.

I'm glad they took care of it. And I'm glad they had a relatively quick turnaround on it too.
I agree. I originally took it to a local gunsmith but then changed my mind and sent it back to the manufacturer. I wasn't going to pay for their QC issue. They fixed it free under warranty.

Wow, nice shooting!

Thank you! Damn thing really shoots well when it decides to work. I have to say when doing the rapid shots at 4 yards I had one flier outside of the chest box area. This thing could be a real beast when it's game time!

I've got a long way to go practicing. I pretty much suck these days after not firing a handgun for about three years, but honestly even then my groups weren't tight but were at least better than this. This is however a reoccurring issue for me as I've always had my groups string out like this.

But I got a few pics anyhow.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I'll try to get some sweet glamour shots like LES sometime but for now I need more range time if I'm going to be comfortable carrying this.

Focus on the front sight. Steady trigger press to the rear. Focus on the front sight. There is no recoil. Focus on the front sight.

Easier said than done.

Great gift from the wife man!

I def have a hard time focussing on the front sight. I shoot both eyes open and look past the sights and focus on the target. I can focus on the front, but I have to close one eye. I'll try it out, thanks!

Keep the suggestions coming!

For defensive shooting you're golden with your current groups.

I don't know I'll ever be shooting matches or making long shots but I'd like to tighten it up for sure and feel more confident in my marksmanship.

I watched my daughter shoot, she's doing the same thing and I saw something. Recoil anticipation. I believe both of us are pushing the muzzle down as we pull the trigger. So I had her drop the magazine and dry fire until she was certain she was pulling the trigger without moving the sights then reload and fire. On the first shot she was in or touching the large center diamond. The next shot would be low and left again and look like my groups.

I mean, I'd say the bad guy would still be dead even without supreme groups. ;)

I do well shooting groups when I take my time, but as soon as I start practicing faster strings of fire I'm all over the place. The handgun is one of the hardest firearms to master, I ain't even close! Practice Practice Practice

Back