• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

Need some ideas on some carry ammo. @LAZY EYED SNIPER @Pawpaw I tried Winchester hollow points in the Kimber yesterday. I had to download by one to get it to feed the first round and even then it's wanting to hang up. On a 6 round magazine it cycles if I get that first round to chamber.

Is there a load that is more like ball ammo, something that doesn't have a large flat flat surface on the front of it?

Need some ideas on some carry ammo. @LAZY EYED SNIPER @Pawpaw I tried Winchester hollow points in the Kimber yesterday. I had to download by one to get it to feed the first round and even then it's wanting to hang up. On a 6 round magazine it cycles if I get that first round to chamber.

Is there a load that is more like ball ammo, something that doesn't have a large flat flat surface on the front of it?

Had the same feed issue with most traditional hollow points in my Ultra CDP. Tried Hornady Critical Defense and their Critical Duty with excellent results and that's what I use in it for carry ammo. It chews through them like candy. The projectiles are more rounded toward the tip, more like standard ball ammo and they don't hang up like the others...

Cool, thank you! That's what I was thinking is that it would require something more rounded and I figured you may have experienced similarly.

I saw this Nosler also. The polymer tip is rounded almost completely like ball ammo.

image.jpg

It's only available in +P which I don't know is ok to use in the Ultra Carry.

Yup, looks like the geometry on those is real similar. The Critical Defense/Duty comes in standard velocity and is readily available at most local stores, so it should be easy to get your hands on some to try out...

Federal HST is an amazing round. Problem is the bullet geometry with the wide mouth HP is the same as most others that hang up in the chamber in these little Kimber Ultra models. I shoot it in my other full size and commander 1911's with no issues, but the Ultra CDP is finicky. A few of my other sub-compact pistols have had the same problem with HP ammo and the Hornady stuff has solved the problem every time...

Federal HST is an amazing round. Problem is the bullet geometry with the wide mouth HP is the same as most others that hang up in the chamber in these little Kimber Ultra models. I shoot it in my other full size and commander 1911's with no issues, but the Ultra CDP is finicky. A few of my other sub-compact pistols have had the same problem with HP ammo and the Hornady stuff has solved the problem every time...

Gotcha

Had the same feed issue with most traditional hollow points in my Ultra CDP. Tried Hornady Critical Defense and their Critical Duty with excellent results and that's what I use in it for carry ammo. It chews through them like candy. The projectiles are more rounded toward the tip, more like standard ball ammo and they don't hang up like the others...

Although my Ultra CDP II works perfectly with Winchester PDX-1, I use Hornady Critical Defense in it. It's designed for short-barrel pistols. In my Commanders, I use Hornady Critical Duty 230gr +P.

Given the narrow, almost conical, shape of the bullet, I suspect it would run well in some pistols that even choke on ball ammo.

Rossignol~

"SOME" Kimber mags that come with their guns can't find happiness when fully stoked with .45Auto ammo unless they start with one less than capacity.

Try different mags that you might be able to borrow and see what happens with the same loads but loaded all the way up.

I'll send you a couple to test trial if you would like.

LEOs in my area who carry .45AUTO Kimbers love the guns but find that they hate the Kimber magazines after discovering they must download by at least one to make the gun feed off a full magazine insert.

For real. Seen it myself first hand several times. Guns would run true but somehow malfed only with full 8-rd Kimber mags during first round feeding.

They changed to different mags and problems went away.

Congrats again on owning a really nice American Made pistol!

@nitesite I have a couple of the newer Kimber KimPro magazines coming. I'll see how those go. They're still 7 rounds in the officer sized frame where I noticed Wilson Combat makes 6 round magazines. I'll be able to shoot again by Friday and will update with how they feed.

That's some interesting information, thanks for the insight!

Brad~

KimPro mags are reported to be a good solution that works well to correct the problem.

I know you are really enjoying having a nice 1911 again,,, very happy for you!!!!

You know I am! :)

Here's what I shot this weekend, I'm not doing drills like Water Monkey, but I'm picking up speed and keeping groups closer. This is 14 rounds at 7 yards;

image.jpg

I should say this is my best target from the weekend. They didn't all look like this. On the couple other targets I could count each round.

Feeding issues seem to be resolved, got the new magazine today! Loaded it up full and the first round cycled. I'll get a couple pics and will cycle it some more this weekend!

Feeding issues seem to be resolved, got the new magazine today! Loaded it up full and the first round cycled. I'll get a couple pics and will cycle it some more this weekend!

As I said, the KimPro mags are better and you should enjoy them. Just too bad the you had to shell out the kind of money to eliminate a problem.

Back