• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What's your thoughts? Let's hear 'em!

I found these articles:

Signs the World Will End in 2012

Mayan Calendar – 2012: the big date!  With the recent fear, curiosity, and excitement about the onset of the Armageddon on December 21st 2012, one can certainly wonder how it is going to take place.

Many wonder how this specific date was chosen. Some claim that this prophecy is just a bunch of old wives’ tales that found their way onto the internet. However, this particular predicted date was not picked out of random. Here are five terrifying reasons the world will end in 2012:

1. The Mayan Calendar

The ending of the Mayan calendar is one of the most well known signs of the apocalypse on December 21st 2012. On this very date the Mayan long-count calendar resets itself to 0.0.0.0. and restarts the next day. Thus, it suggests the end of life and rebirth. However, many skeptics argue that the Mayans believed in the beginning of a time of change and tribulation rather than death and destruction. Nevertheless, this sign definitely hints that something would happen on this date.

2. The I-Ching Prophecies

One of the most shocking revelations for 2012 involved the I-Ching prophecies. These Ancient Chinese predictions show the events of the past and future. Some research seems to indicate  that these predictions are accurate for events that have already taken place. Unfortunately one of the events foretold in the I-Ching prophecies is the coming of the Armageddon on December 21st 2012.

3. Geomagnetic Reversal

According to some scholars, the Earth is expected to go through a polar shift sometime during the end of 2012. This phenomenon involves the Earth’s North and South Pole interchanging rapidly. As a result, malfunction and confusion would occur. Animals are expected to lose direction and electronics are expected to breakdown. In addition, scientists are also expected major movement of tectonic plates which would result in many natural disasters.

(Update: January, 2011, there have been a great number of animal deaths recently that have been all over the news: 5000 blackbirds in Arkansas and Louisiana and up to 100,000 drum fish in the Arkansas river.  I do not know if these are related, but many have wondered and I have received a lot of email about a possible connection.)

Now, this type of event would normally take place over a very long period of time – yet some feel it may occur abruptly.

4. Black Hole Alignment

Another theory involves the alignment of the galactic center. It is expected that the alignment would create a combined effect of a gravitational pull between the black hole and the sun at the galaxy’s center; also known as ‘Sagittarius A’. Due to the pull, the Earth would likely face many problems. However, this incident has occurred in 1998. Research has shown that the Earth needs to be much closer to the Sun in order to face adverse effects.

5. The Web Bot

Quite a popular program, the Web Bot is a series of automated bots that search for specific keywords on the internet. On finding these keywords, the program searched for a pattern too. Apparently, Web Bot predicted the September 11th attacks and the tsunami in 2004. Now it has predicted the Armageddon on December 21st 2012.

One can question the validity of these predictions. Nevertheless, it is ironic as to how all these forecasts are pointed to one specific date and come from completely different sources. So follow the signs that the world will end in 2012 and be prepared for the worst to come. This does not mean that you begin creating a hide-away bunker right away, but it does mean that you should be more alert and not ignore the slightest warnings. The world is so updated with technology that the secret would be out before you know it.

December 21, 2012 Mayan Calendar Prediction:End of world, Science or Superstition

December 21,2012 : Myth or Truth?

Reasons that support this Myth

What is Mayan Prophecy?

The ancient Maya civilization Predicted the 26,000 calendar year cycle to be specifically consisted of 5 smaller cycles, each having 5,125 years. Each of these 5 cycles were believed having its own World Age or Creation Cycle. As depicted on the familiar, circular MesoAmerican Sun Stone, (often called the Aztec Calendar) each Creation Cycle is said to have been ruled and destroyed by one of 5 elements. Specifically, 4 Jaguar, 4 Wind, 4 Rain, 4 Water.

Our present great cycle spanning(3113 B.C. – 2012 A.D.) is called the Age of the Fifth Sun. This time period is ruled by 4 Earth. This fifth age is the synthesis of the previous four. 4 Earth (called Caban in the Maya language and Ollin in Aztec) has several meanings, including: movement, shift, evolution, earthquake, navigation, synchronicity, clue tracking, turtle. In the Maya language, the word “ol” of ollin means consciousness.

SCIENTIFIC EXPERTS globally are predicting and expecting that 3 years from now, all life on Earth may well come to an end. Some are saying it’ll be we humans that would set it off. Others believe that a natural disasterous phenomenon will be the cause. And the religious folks are saying it’ll be God himself who would press the stop and restart button. The following are some likely arguments as to why the world would end by the year 2012.

Reason one: Mayan calendar

The first to predict 2012 as the end of the world were the Mayans, a bloodthirsty race that were good at two things — building highly accurate astrological equipment out of stone and sacrificing virgins.

Thousands of years ago they managed to calculate the length of the lunar moon as 329.53020 days, only 34 seconds out. The Mayan calendar predicts that the earth will end on December 21, 2012. Given that they were pretty close to the mark with the lunar cycle, it’s likely they’ve got the end of the world right as well.

Reason two: Sun storms

Solar experts from around the world monitoring the sun have made a startling discovery. Our sun is in a bit of strife. The energy output of the sun is, like most things in nature, cyclic and it’s supposed to be in the middle of a period of relative stability. However, recent solar storms have been bombarding the earth with lot of radiation energy. It’s been knocking out power grids and destroying satellites. This activity is predicted to get worse and calculations suggest it’ll reach its deadly peak sometime in 2012.

Reason three: The atom smasher

Scientists in Europe have been building the world’s largest particle accelerator. Basically, its a 27 km tunnel designed to smash atoms together to find out what makes the universe tick. However, the mega-gadget has caused serious concern, with some scientists suggesting that it’s properly even a bad idea to turn it on in the first place. They’re predicting all manner of deadly results, including mini black holes. So when this machine is fired up for its first serious experiment in 2012, the world could be crushed into a super-dense blob the size of a basketball.

Reason four: The Bible says it

If having scientists warning us about the end of the world isn’t bad enough, religious folks are getting in on the act as well. Interpretations of the Christian Bible reveal that the date for Armageddon, the final battle between good an evil, has been set for 2012. The I Ching, also known as the Chinese Book of Changes, says the same thing, as do various sections of the Hindu teachings.

Reason five: Super volcano

Yellowstone National Park in United States is famous for its thermal springs and old faithful geyser. The reason for this is simple — it’s sitting on top of the world’s biggest volcano and geological experts are beginning to get nervous sweats. The Yellowstone volcano has a pattern of erupting every 650,000 years or so, and we’re many years overdue for an explosion that will fill the atmosphere with ash, blocking the sun and plunging the earth into a frozen winter that could last up to 15,000 years. The pressure under the Yellowstone is building steadily, and geologists have set 2012 as a likely date for the big bang.

Reason six: The physicists

This one’s case of bog — simple maths mathematics. Physicists at Berkely University have been crunching the numbers. They’ve determined that the earth is well overdue for a major catastrophic event. Even worse, they’re claiming that their calculations prove that we’re all going to die, very soon. They are also saying that their prediction comes with a certainty of 99 per cent; and 2012 just happens to be the best guess as to when it occurs.

Reason seven: Earth’s magnetic field

We all know the Earth is surrounded by a magnetic field that shields us from most of the sun’s radiation. What you might not know is that the magnetic poles we call North and South have a nasty habit of swapping places every 750,000 years or so — and right now we’re about 30,000 years overdue. Scientists have noted that the poles are drifting apart roughly 20-30 kms each year, much faster than ever before, which points to a pole-shift being right around the corner. While the pole shift is under way, the magnetic field is disrupted and will eventually disappear, sometimes for up to 100 years. The result is enough UV outdoors to crisp your skin in seconds, killing everything it touches.

Ten Vital Reasons the World will not End in 2012

December 21st 2012 – a date that is well known globally. Several hundred years ago, the Ancient Mayans predicted the apocalypse on this very date. With their 5,125 year old calendar resetting itself to 0.0.0.0. on this date, many are preparing for the worst. However, how legit is the prophecy of the Mayans? Here are the top ten reasons why the world will not end in 2012:

1. The Earth would run out of resources and energy.

There is no danger of energy depletion for the Earth. The available energy is self generating, continuous and unlimited. Furthermore, there is no chance of the universe enclosing, retracting and finally exploding resulting in destruction on December 21st 2012. This scenario is expected in 500 billion years. I am pretty sure our generation would have passed on by then.

2. There is a possibility of the earth coming to an end in 2012.

However, truthfully there is also a probability of the end being today, tomorrow or 5000 years from now. There is no proper method of finding out when the apocalypse will take place. These prophecies are only based on assumptions and predictions with no scientific proof.

3. The Mayan culture disappeared long before their calendar ended.

The Maya may have an been advanced race in astrology and mathematics; however, they were not so proficient in their predictions. They might have foretold the end of life in the year 2012, but they could not predict the disappearance and demise of their own culture.

4. The Mayan Calendar resets itself to 0.0.0.0.

Just as the calendar in your house ends after December 31st, so does the Mayan calendar. This does not mean that the Earth comes to an end with your calendar does it? The end of the Mayan calendar just means that the Mayan long-count period will end and another one would begin; just as your new calendar for the year would.

5. According to scientists, the Earth is going to go through a magnetic polar switch quite soon.

This assumption is predicted to cause utter chaos and destruction, which will possibly lead to the extinction of life. However, scientists have found out that the Earth has faced this issue 380, 000 years ago. Life clearly did manage to pass this problem, so it is likely we are to survive through it again.

6. Nostradamus predicted the end to be as a result of an asteroid smashing into the Earth.

Recently, an asteroid has been spotted and found its way into news. The 900-foot wide asteroid, named Apophis, is believed to make its next close approach soon…in 2029! Even then, the collision probability has been downgraded to 1 in 250, 000 chance. There is another possibility of an uncharted asteroid or comet appearing out of the blue at any time; however, Earth-killing impacts have been millions of years apart. It is pretty obvious that our generation would no longer be in the picture in the next million years.

7. One of the most popular issues brought up by scientists is the increase in the number of solar flares. This problem would lead to satellites melting and eventually lead to a global catastrophe.

This is quite a load of rubbish as the sun goes though a well-documented 11-year sunspot cycle which is driven by its magnetic field. Although the next cycle is assumed to be 30 to 50 percent stronger than the last peak and is predicted to be in the year 2012, it is certainly not the highest peak recorded.

8. The planets will align in a way that impacts the Earth

To date there is no possibility of a planetary alignment for the next few decades. In addition, Earth will not cross a galactic plane in the year 2012. If this planetary alignment was to take place, scientists have found that their effects upon the Earth would be negligible. Each December the Earth and the Sun does align with approximately the center of the Milky Way Galaxy; nevertheless, there has been no sign of impact or consequence due to this process.

9. The origin of the Armageddon prediction in the year 2012 began with the story of Planet Nibiru smashing into the Earth.

A supposed planet discovered by the Sumerian, the theory of the Earth being destroyed in 2012 began with the prophecy the planet Nibiru clashing with the earth. Although initially predicted for May 2003, the doomsday date was postponed to December 2012 as nothing obviously happened. Ironically, both tales were linked to one of the cycles in the Ancient Mayan calendar that ends in 2012. This is an internet hoax! Amongst many other fibs; if a planet, asteroid or comet was heading towards the earth, astronomers would be definitely keeping track of them. Astronomers have found a dwarf planet similar to the size of Pluto known as Eris; however, this planet will remain in the outer solar system. The closest Eris can come in proximity with the Earth is 4 billion miles, which I believe is quite a lot of distance.

10. Finally, if the Armageddon is predicted to be on December 21st 2012, then why is my car warranty dated to May 2013?

There are many reasons the world will not end in 2012. Many of the predictions out there appear to be hoaxes as stated earlier. With the internet, it is easy to make up a bunch of rubbish and pass it around. Do not be fooled into these lame prophecies as it would only bring you worry. The Mayans did not predict the end of their calendar due to death and destruction on the Earth; instead they assumed a period of tribulation or spiritual change. Death and disaster is a daily activity in life. So live each day as the last, because the end of time cannot be predicted.

John is the only "prophet" that I truly believe has it right by divine foresight (Revelations) and not everything that is said to happen, has not done it yet.

Further, the Bible says not even the angels in Heaven know when the end of the world is going to be so I'm not losing any sleep over the date Dec. 21 and plan to buy by Christmas presents well in advance.

With that said, I would like to see the sky when everything is aligned up the way they say is going to be in December.

My 1000 X 120mm Galileo reflector telescope is standing by for that event...!!

GALILEO1000MMREFLECTOR.jpg

As far as the end of the world...I live everyday like it's my last !!! ;)

oli700 said:
I hope it does end....I'm tired of this s**t
WIN!!!!

I'm not religious nor do I believe in prophesy, etc. I find the theories interesting but for the most part I think too many assumptions are made.

But anyone that truely believes the world will end. Please send me your guns. I promise to keep them safe, keep them fed and work them out regulrly. :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:

Besides, the world can't possibly end. My girlfriend is still paying her student loans...anyone that has ever paid student loand knows that they will never let it go until you are paid in full. LOL :lol: :lol:

And besides, if I'm wrong, no one will be around to say "neener neener I told you so". :D

I agree with John of the fact that the bible says nObody will know so surely we wouldn't have an actual date. I don't worry about it, I can't control it anyway so I don't waste my time. I like reading all the myths and supposed beliefs about it though... I find it interesting.

The end of the world is very subjective ...open to discussion / debate on all levels, spiritual as well as physical.

This will be an interesting thread...

My mom's birthday is 12/21.

My sister and I started calling her the anti-Christ a couple years ago just to grind her gears. We all get a good laugh out of it...

I know the Anti-Christ personally...we went to college together !! He can party.... :lol:

it's gonna be that y2k crap x10...it's gonna be a pain in the ass to go to the store and people are gonna act all crazy, and they'll probably sell out of water and toilet paper

Zombies... Hopefully.

If the world ends, oh well, you probably couldn't have done anything.

If it's the end of "life as we know it" and only the strong (armed ;) ) survive. Get outta my way!

Only time will tell!

John A. said:
John is the only "prophet" that I truly believe has it right by divine foresight (Revelations) and not everything that is said to happen, has not done it yet.

Further, the Bible says not even the angels in Heaven know when the end of the world is going to be so I'm not losing any sleep over the date Dec. 21 and plan to buy by Christmas presents well in advance.

With that said, I would like to see the sky when everything is aligned up the way they say is going to be in December.

I agree. 2012 will come and go like any other year. If someone is going to predict the end of the world on a exact date, he/she will be wrong. The latest wrong prediction was made by Harold Camping.

I am squarely in Johns camp. Whats it say, none know the time or day save the Father? Kinda a loose paraphrasing.

I do think alot of people are gonna be freaked out! :D Should be humorous! Though some people might wanna get crazy, I'll stay home that day. Allisons birthday is the 22nd. We plan on having cake.

My Telescope is a 10 inch Dobsonian with some really good lenses. I'm planning a party.

The End of the World Party.
Where everyone parties like there is no tomorrow.
Admission $25. No refunds.
With purchase of an admission ticket entitles you to half price admission to the next one.

Bring you own provisions, Just in case, hangover breakfast will be provided. Not responsible for rain-outs, white-outs, black outs, failure of an Armageddon, riots, fires, floods, crimes, radiation, sickness or the moral decay of America. Willing to barter for cost of admission. Get your tickets early. Donations gladly accepted.

Back