• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

3rd rev. Mossberg 930 SPX Build Thread

RippSpeed

.270 WIN
03/30/11:
She finally got out of 10day jail... Heres a couple of pics:

My new Mossberg 930 SPX by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Already installed the Choate Mark 5 Pistol Grip. And sent 90rds of Remington 00Buck (1325fps) and Slug (1600fps) down range. And absolutely no jams.

Mossberg by rippspeed1, on Flickr

The 3rd re-version of Mossberg 930 SPX came with some cool things... A newer design charging bolt and a front sling mount...

Mossberg And H&K by rippspeed1, on Flickr

I definitely and absolutely am sold on this Shotgun. It had alot less ( I would say half) the recoil of my Winchester 1300 Defender.

The new Toys by rippspeed1, on Flickr

My gripe today was it was hard to load 7 slugs in the mag. The 7th one gave me some trouble to load, maybe its just a break in issues. I did have all the bolts lose on the picatiny rail and the LPA ghost sight was super lose, that she fell off. Nothing alittle locktite blue wont fix...

I already ordered a S&J mini Follower and large safety. This friday will be ordering a Nordic Barrel Clamp, maybe send out the Barrel for R&D Custom porting. They're just down the road from me... More pics to come and more parts...

UPDATE: 04/01/11
I just got back from the range... Sent 60rds of low recoil buck shots down range. And not a hicup and absolutely,no ftf or anything and hardly no recoil with the low recoil stuff... The ghost sights are pretty close @ 15yrds. Need to zero them in with some slugs at a 50yrds and 100yrds...

Anyone know where I can get some remington 12gauge accutip sabot slugs ???

more updates to come...

stalking the mailman for :
-S&J Hardware Safety
-S&J Hardware delrin mini follower
-Nordic Component Speed Bolt
-Nordic Component modified Mag clamp with picatinny rail

What do you guys think of the ETA Rhino Tactical Rail system???

UPDATE 04/04/11:

installed the S&J Hardware :
-No Jam Red/Orange Delrin Follower

S&J Hardware Red/Orange Follower by rippspeed1, on Flickr

S&J Hardware Derlin vs Factory Metal Follower by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Stock vs Upgraded Follower by rippspeed1, on Flickr

I selected to go with this follower because I did not want to give up one round capacity. What I did notice is the shells seem to go in the mag alot more smoother and when unloading is alot more smoother as well...

-S&J Hardware OverSized Safety

S&J Hardware OverSized Aluminum Safety by rippspeed1, on Flickr

My only gripe about this is it didnt come with instructions and it has a silver bolt. Wish they came with a matching allen bolt... I'll find one to replace it. But it is alot taller than stock and alot easier to switch on and off...

Installation was pretty easy... Followed M24Shooter's instruction on his review but didnt need a grip to hold the shotgun down just used a dremel @ 10,000rpm w/ a cutting disc to put a slot on the factory safety bolt and did unscrew it with a small screw driver. The reason why I wish it did come with instruction was I didnt know the ball bearing would easily fall out. Which it did and that was my issue... But once I found that the ball bearing had fell on the floor and re-installed it.. Everything was good. I just added alittle bit of locktite blue to the thread for security...

More Updates to come... Stay tuned

-Nordic Tactical Barrel Clamp
-Nordic Speed Bolt
-R&D Custom Ported Barrel

UPDATE 04/06/11:

My little project ... I'll post when I'm done but heres a preview of what it is:

Magpul MOE rail by rippspeed1, on Flickr

I also sent 80 more rounds down range today. She felt good absolutely no jams and no problems. I have 230rds thru her and no problems and getting the hang of ghostloading as well...

UPDATE 04/07/11:

First off; an update on the S&J Hardware No Jam Follower. The factory spring doesnt sit inside of the S&J follower compared to the Factory Mossberg unit. It does move the spring about an 1" from where it would normally sit inside the factory Mossberg piece...

Secondly New Toys:
- Nordic Components Barrel Clamp with Picatinny rail.

Nordic Component Barrel Clamp by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Nordic Component Barrel Clamp w/ Picatinny Rail by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Nordic Clamp Installed:

Nordic Component on Mossberg 930 spx by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Nordic Component SpeedBolt:

Nordic Component Speed Bolt by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Nordic Component Speed Bolt 2 by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Nordic Component SpeedBolt Vs Factory Mossberg 3rd revision Charging Bolt:

NC SpeedBolt.vs Factory 3rd Revision Mossberg Charging Bolt by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Factory Charging Bolt:

Factory Mossberg charging bolt by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Nordic Component SpeedBolt:

Nordic Component SpeedBolt by rippspeed1, on Flickr

I spoke to Ryan @ Nordic Components to order their modified barrel clamp. Ryan, took one of their barrel Clamps; modified it to fit the 3rd revision barrel. And sent it out to me. Nordic Components have one of the best customer service and support; I have ever encountered, thanx to my interaction with Ryan ... I will order a +3 Mag extension when my Barrel comes back from porting and trulock tactical choke install...

The SpeedBolt definitely feels alot better and your hand just floats to it like instinct... With it being longer than factory unit it gives you that much more to grab a hold of... Great upgrade for the charge bolt and it alittle lighter than the factory unit; wish I had a small weight scale to compare...

04/08/11:

Dropped her off with Bob at R&D Customs ( http://www.americhoke.com ) I went with their Porting job and have a TruLock Tactical choke install. I should have new pics and review on the ported barrel and TruLock Tactical Choke by next week.
I'm also; currently working on my Magpul Picatinny rail mod and will buy the final piece on the 15th. And depending when I recieve the final piece I'll post pics and range reviews...

UPDATE: 04/13/11

Picked her up from Bob Day from R&D Custom ( http://www.americhoke.com ). And he was out on the TruLock Tactical Choke so he loaned me a TruLock IC choke to do some range testing on the porting... Bob's a great guy to deal with very friendly, accomodiating and informative... If you have any question please feel free to call him @ 877-894-3771, he has some great pricing.

either way I should have the Tactical Choke by next week...

heres the pics:

R&D Custom Port Work on My Mossberg 930 SPX by rippspeed1, on Flickr

My Mossberg 930SPX w/ R&D Custom Porting with TruLock IC choke by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Trulock IC Choke on my Mossberg 930SPX w/ R&D Custom Port Work by rippspeed1, on Flickr

UPDATE: 04/13/11 RANGE REPORT
Just left the range... Actually still in the parking lot (on my TMobile G2) sent 30rds of winchester bird shots down range. Absolutely no problems cycling ( my main worry about the porting, affecting the cycling of the gas piston). And the recoil on these exact same shots about a week ago seems a lot lighter and the barrel lift is nearly non existent. R&D Customs did a great job...

UPDATE: 04/18/11 Completion of Project StopLite

Ok guys like I promise I would up date my little MagPul mod aka Project StopLite. I'll start a mod thread for that but heres the finale...

I picked up a Sig Sauer StopLite @ http://www.NelsonTactical.com for $161.60 shipped.

heres a couple of pics of the Sig Sauer StopLite:

FlashLite prt3 by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Flashlite prt 2 by rippspeed1, on Flickr

New flash lite by rippspeed1, on Flickr

And here it is completed:

Project StopLite done by rippspeed1, on Flickr

My other camera with a bipod by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Almost done by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Range Report:
No ill affects on the gas piston feeding . Sent 30rds down range and had more control of the shotgun. Love this upgrade!!!

Stay tune more to come!!!

UPDATE 04/27/11:

Back at you guys once again !!! with a few updates...
1)Nordic Component +3 maga Tube extension w/ Standard end cap.
2)TruLock Tacitcal Choke which I purchased from Bob Day at http://www.americhoke.com (who did the port job on my barrel for me)

1) Nordic Components +3 Mag Tube:
Awesome upgrade for my 930SPX. The mag extension is a high quality piece very happy with it. My main issue was my S&J Hardware Delrin Follower doesnt work well with the supplied spring and I messed up on the cutting of the spring... So I what I did since I fubar'ed my Nordic Spring I used my factory spring for now...

2)The TruLock Tactical choke was back ordered from TruLock and took some time for Bob to get a hold of one... So I waited and it finally came today... Bob is a great guy to deal with. And I'm very happy with the Tactical Choke gives the Mossberg 930SPX a certain look I was after but I already place an order with Bob for a riffled choke choke to try out as well... If you guys want your Shotgun barrels worked on by a knowledgable guy, who does quality work and fast turn around Bob Day @ http://www.americhoke.com is the one to go with... If you guys end up going with him please let him know about this review.

Either way heres the pics:

My Mossberg 930 SPX by rippspeed1, on Flickr

930 SPX w/ SigSauer StopLite, TruLock Tactical Choke, Nordic Barrel Clamp and +8 Mag Extension by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Mossberg 930 SPX w/ TruLock Tactical Choke Nordic +8 Mag Tube and Barrel Clamp by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Up close TruLock Tactical Choke by rippspeed1, on Flickr

UPDATE 04/29/11: Range Report
Well, after 30rds of Remington Slugger HP, 30rds of Winchester Super X, and 50rds of Remington 00 Buck... I can honestly say the only thing that hurts alittle is my finger constantly rubbing on the trigger guard. Mine shoulder isnt sore and am I'm happy to say I'm very satisfied with the results of my mods. Only bad thing is the fiber optic sight covered in soot. After it... Heres the pic...

25yards no problem by rippspeed1, on Flickr

UPDATE 05/07/11

Well, I had the Nordic 3/4" extended cap even when I went shooting the slugs down range. I didnt really post an update about it because I fubared the stock Nordic Spring and wanted to wait for my little experiement to come in. I ordered a Wolff Extra Power spring (Part No.17905 ) for a Mossberg 590 8 + 1 mag tube or a 500 7 + 1 ... Cost was $8.99 @ http://www.gunsprings.com ... And it worked perfect especially if you use the +3 Mag Extension w/ 3/4" Extended End Cap from Nordic Components. The Wolff spring was definitely easier to install and give alot more positive feeding of the shells; right to the last round.

I just need a couple more items for my 930SPX to be complete.

Either way here are a couple of pics for your enjoyment...

Wolff Spring vs Stock Mossberg unit by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Wolff Part No. by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Here's a couple of how the Nordic Component Extended 3/4" End Cap with the +3 Mag Extension and the TruLock Tactical Choke...

My Mossberg 930 SPX w/ TruLock Tactical Choke w/ Nordic components and SigSauer StopLite by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Close up by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Close up 2 by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Stay Tuned !!!

Re: Latest Acquisition!!! 3rd rev. Mossberg 930 SPX mini rev

Congratulations on your new Mossberg 930 SPX! I love seeing this model evolve and it just keeps getting better and better. Glad to see your enjoying it. Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad i got the regular stock model spx and bought the pistol grip seperately. I can now switch between the two should i so desire. That, and it helps if i were to ever decide to sell it. 2 stocks for the spx would aid in the sale. And through the dealer i got mine from it costed the same as getting the pistol grip version alone.

Welp, i love the regular stock, and Saturday i get to try the PG!

Bizill said:
I'm glad i got the regular stock model spx and bought the pistol grip seperately. I can now switch between the two should i so desire. That, and it helps if i were to ever decide to sell it. 2 stocks for the spx would aid in the sale. And through the dealer i got mine from it costed the same as getting the pistol grip version alone.

Welp, i love the regular stock, and Saturday i get to try the PG!
From experience with regular stock shotguns always felt weird for me. It always felt awkward. I always better with a PG stock. I don't think I would let go of this one. I'll probably pass it down to one of my sons...

@RippSpeed

So, you bought it at turners.com used, right? I show that they really don't sell new?

RippSpeed said:
mackgriggs said:
@RippSpeed

So, you bought it at turners.com used, right? I show that they really don't sell new?
Huh??? They have it on there catalog online... for $599.98, brotha let me help you out and make it more simple...

http://www.turners.com/engage/springflyer_2011.php

its in there... sale ends @ April 21

Thats not a bad price... GET THEM WHILE YOU CAN!!!! Love the newest 'version', the 'heavier' bbl was REALLY A HAPPY SUPRISE.. Oh, and a SLING STUD, YEAH!!! Enjoy your new 'toy'!! And I LOVE MY 1300 Defender too, but as a pump it's a bigger kicker, but the speedpump SURE DOES HELP ;) !!
Stephen

Sorry if I wasn't clear....I live in Idaho (not california), which is why it seems I won't be able to buy from turners b/c I don't believe that they sell their new firearms from their website, nor ship to a different FFL from one of their retail stores...did they do that for you?

mackgriggs said:
Sorry if I wasn't clear....I live in Idaho (not california), which is why it seems I won't be able to buy from turners b/c I don't believe that they sell their new firearms from their website, nor ship to a different FFL from one of their retail stores...did they do that for you?
Oohhh ok sorry about the miscommunication. I'm in Naziville so that's where I picked mine up.

RippSpeed said:
mackgriggs said:
Oohhh ok sorry about the miscommunication. I'm in Naziville so that's where I picked mine up.

I STILL cant believe what Californians put up with just to get a firearm!! I mean even getting one let's say... Mossy 590A1 20", could you even have it or would they 'confiscate it and remove the bayonet lug for your safety' or, is there like a list of "approved" weapons, as ridiculous as... Sorry, sidetracked, different forum alltogether but.. Man, nice pickup, if I was in California/Republic Of California, I'd want an SPX before they try and stop THOSE coming in!! Oh, and people looking, REGULARLY check places like Budsgunshop, GunsAmerica, just google '930 spx 8-shot for sale' and at LEAST ONE ad should pop up w/one for sale at around $575-ish, DONT GIVE UP HOPE!
Stephen

Re: Latest Acquisition!!! 3rd rev. remington 930 SPX mini re

I just got back from the range... Sent 60rds of low recoil buck shots down range. And not a hicup and absolutely,no ftf or anything and hardly no recoil with the low recoil stuff... The ghost sights are pretty close @ 15yrds. Need to zero them in with some slugs at a 50yrds and 100yrds...

more updates to come...

stalking the mailman for :
-S&J Hardware Safety
-S&J Hardware delrin mini follower
-Nordic Component Speed Bolt
-Nordic Component modified Mag clamp with picatinny rail

What do you guys think of the ETA Rhino Tactical Rail system???

Re: Latest Acquisition!!! 3rd rev. remington 930 SPX mini re

RippSpeed said:

??Google would probably know! Apart from online or a gunshop? Never see that stuff at big chains myself, maybe try, Cabelas, Academy(?), Dicks, Bass Pro depending where your at and whats around you?

Stephen

One additional gripe for the life of me I cannot ghost load my 930spx I keep screwing it up...

RippSpeed said:
One additional gripe for the life of me I cannot ghost load my 930spx I keep screwing it up...

It's actually pretty easy, just got to get it down a few times and work on it. Either load 7, pull back and let a shell pop onto the elevator and then top-off mag then push DOWN on the shell on the elevator and let the bolt skim OVER IT, then hand load the chamber. Or a little easier, load 7, open bolt enough to seat one on the elevator and one in the chamber, might want to just keep a finger on the last shell in the mag so it doesnt shoot out till you get the knack of pulling it back only enough to get access to the elevator and chamber not to where it will release a shell. Good vid on this forum from youtube, under 'ghost loading' on the 930 page of this forum, might be on second page, but it's there!
Stephen

reeseman67 said:
RippSpeed said:

It's actually pretty easy, just got to get it down a few times and work on it. Either load 7, pull back and let a shell pop onto the elevator and then top-off mag then push DOWN on the shell on the elevator and let the bolt skim OVER IT, then hand load the chamber. Or a little easier, load 7, open bolt enough to seat one on the elevator and one in the chamber, might want to just keep a finger on the last shell in the mag so it doesnt shoot out till you get the knack of pulling it back only enough to get access to the elevator and chamber not to where it will release a shell. Good vid on this forum from youtube, under 'ghost loading' on the 930 page of this forum, might be on second page, but it's there!
Stephen
Yeah seen those vids but for some reason doesn't work for me... will try again

RippSpeed said:
reeseman67 said:
RippSpeed said:

Stephen
Yeah seen those vids but for some reason doesn't work for me... will try again

Which part you having trouble with? Just full mag, yank bolt back w/elevator up and bolt back insert one into tube, push shell on elevator whoile letting bolt slightly forward to get elevator down w/shell flush on top, insert chamber round then(or let it over the shell first, THEN feed chamber, whichevers easiest) let bolt ride over rim of 'floated' round and let bolt forward. Youll just have to 'play with it' but youll get it. I think at first the part of getting the 7th mag 'top up' round in before you float one and chamber one is the thing that takes some getting used to.(what held me up). Youll get your 9-rounds :twisted: !

Back