• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

715T Dry Firing

Is it safe to dry fire the 715T?

I have read that dry firing rimfire guns may cause chamber peening. But I also read that some modern rimfire guns are safe to dry fire due to their design. Is the 715T part of the latter group?

Please advise. Thanks!

leadgunner said:
Is it safe to dry fire the 715T?

I have read that dry firing rimfire guns may cause chamber peening. But I also read that some modern rimfire guns are safe to dry fire due to their design. Is the 715T part of the latter group?

Please advise. Thanks!

I wouldnt do it with any rimfire just because if how its designed why risk it?

I either put a snap cap in it, a spent shell or i partly slide the slide back while i pull the trigger (point in a safe direction ofcorse)

Ive seen to many that had issues because of dry firing. The peening can dent the breech and cause the shell to hang in the chamber causing FTE then FTL

Ive read you can get yellow wall anchors at the hardware store that will slip into the chamber and you can dry fire with those on the cheap.

If you decide to get some .22 snap caps get the blue A-zoom ones. They are made of aluminum and the rim wont crack or split like the plastic ones.

leadgunner said:
Thanks BowerR64. Just ordered the blue A Zoom 6 pack .22LR snap caps from Amazon per your recommendation :D

I think i bought the 12 pack or something. What i do is leave the action open when i leave the range that way there is no question its safe. Then when i get home i put the dummy round in, close the action and dry fire it.

These have a limit i think on how many times they can be dry fired. They dent when they get struck and eventually they will get all used up. The full radious of the rim will get dented eventually.

Its still cheaper and better then damaging the breech and causing problems, you could even break the firing pin dry firing.

On the 715T and plinkster if you dry fire it will dent or peening where i have marked with a red dot.

It may break or bend the firing pin because the bolt closes up against the bolt chamber and if there is no round or dummy round there the firing pin will slam against the chamber face and dent it.

Barrelchamber_zps8a94cb57.jpg

It also may break the retainer pin on the firing pin because these pins are what keep the firing pin from moving to far.

Mossberg715Tfiringpin_zps98204f4b.jpg

Now these pins may keep the firing pin from hitting the barrel chamber face, but i wouldnt count on it. Why risk it? Just put something in there like an empty shell or a dummy round. If you damage the barrel chamber and it causes the peening or breaks the firing pin you will be without your gun for as long as it takes mossberg to fix it. That could be all summer! :cry:

BowerR64 said:
Now these pins may keep the firing pin from hitting the barrel chamber face, but i wouldnt count on it. Why risk it? Just put something in there like an empty shell or a dummy round. If you damage the barrel chamber and it causes the peening or breaks the firing pin you will be without your gun for as long as it takes mossberg to fix it. That could be all summer! :cry:

Now I think about it, thats probably what happened to mine. :(

ufVt0.jpg

fa1rshooter said:
BowerR64 said:

Now I think about it, thats probably what happened to mine. :(

ufVt0.jpg

What are you doing now with it?

did you send it back?

Can it be fixed?

What did it do after it broke?

It doesnt look that hard to make if you had to.

Yah i sent it back to mossberg for repair. Initially i was gonna purchase a replacement pin and do the repair myself but wasn't sure if it was due to something else. Figured it was better to send it in to the pros this time.
There was no indication the pin was broken as it still fired. I only realized it was broken when i took it apart to clean. If it was a centerfire, the hammer would have shot the pin out the barrel. Replacement is straightforward it seems. Just a retaining pin holding it in place.

I just got it back today after sending it in early January. The delay was due to them not having enough .22 to test fire the repaired rifles.

They replaced the entire action and not just the firing pin. Also included an extra 25 rd magazine as a freebie. Very happy with their service. My first mossberg but I'll definitely buy from them again.

fa1rshooter said:
I just got it back today after sending it in early January. The delay was due to them not having enough .22 to test fire the repaired rifles.

They replaced the entire action and not just the firing pin. Also included an extra 25 rd magazine as a freebie. Very happy with their service. My first mossberg but I'll definitely buy from them again.

nice so you havnt shot it in over 3 months? :( spring is in the air

I have a question, why are you dry firing your gun so much that you need these caps or what ever their called? Not trying to sound like a troll im actually curious lol

How do you decock? I read pull the action half way and then squeeze trigger. Seems when I do that and let the action go forward, it is still cocked and will fire.

bubbakaloosh said:
I have a question, why are you dry firing your gun so much that you need these caps or what ever their called? Not trying to sound like a troll im actually curious lol

When i leave the range i put my firearms away with the action locked open. Safty for me and for everyone around me.

Ive heard of people putting rifles and stuff in gun socks and different things loaded and when transporting them or removing them from the case they go off injuring yourself or some one else.

Once im home i put a snap cap in point the muzzle in a safe direction and drop the hammer.

I also use snap caps for testing, ive had a few guns with issues. I dont like to make it a habbit of cycling ANY live ammo threw my firearms period. This way i can and not worry about puting holes in my floor :eek:

Ive had 2 guns with issues where they would fail to fire. One had an issues with the barrel nut being to tight (light strikes on the rim). That took me months to figure out. Then i had one that had problems with the firing pin not firing in the right place. That one had to go back to the factory.

I find them a good tool to have.

Ive also thought about keeping a few in my pocket. If i go to a gun shop, gun show or a pawnshop and find a use .22 i like. First thing im going to do is make sure it doesnt have a damaged firing pin and that it puts a nice dent in a snap cap before i buy it.

Ive seen some that it looked like some one sat down to watch tv and just dry fired over and over and it just trashed the chamber face and destroyed the firing pin.

A-zoomdummy_zps75b91803.jpg

Just my opinion though, you can do it how you want.

Gunowner99 said:
How do you decock? I read pull the action half way and then squeeze trigger. Seems when I do that and let the action go forward, it is still cocked and will fire.

Did you hold the trigger down when moving the action forward?

I dont think its halfway, when a round is in the bolt doesnt fully close its just partly open.

You can do it that way, slide the bolt back just a little as if a round was in it. Then pull the trigger it should decock it by hittin the firing pin. Its not really a decock its more like firing it

Only problem is that is a bad habbit to get into.

Another member broke his firing pin. There is little tabs on the firing pin that hold it from going to far forward and to far back. His broke it may of been from dry firing.

Back