• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

715T Dry Firing

Gunowner99 said:
So, how do I "decock" without destroying my firing pin?

Yes, I'd like to know also. Seems to me this is a good way. Open the bolt back all the way open, hold it open, pull the trigger and while holding the bolt open, and while holding the trigger, let the bolt slide slowly closed. That way, the hammer follows the bolt closed and does not 'hit' the firing pin but just follows the bolt closed. Right?? :?: :?:

Nice work that worked good, not all guns work this way though. The 715 is so simple it doesnt have any safty features or anything to prevent this. Not even the mag release safty so you can do it even with the mag out.

I just tried it and here is what i had to do. Open the bolt all the way but i had to let it fully close, then i opened it about halfway you can feel it start to push the hammer down then pull the trigger and hold it till you let the slide move all the way closed.

I also tried pulling it back just a little and then pull the trigger but you can hear a loud pop where the hammer strikes the back of the bolt. That may tear it up eventually

Yes, BowerR64. That is the procedure that I was trying to describe. Thanks for using the correct words to describe it. So, bottom line is, you can decock you 715T without dry-firing it or using a dummy shell. Nice. So there ya are, Gunowner99.

GunsForever said:
Yes, BowerR64. That is the procedure that I was trying to describe. Thanks for using the correct words to describe it. So, bottom line is, you can decock you 715T without dry-firing it or using a dummy shell. Nice. So there ya are, Gunowner99.

It does work with this one but becareful, if a round is in it and you pull it back the extractor will pull the round out of the chamber and hold it to the breech face tight enough that it could still detonate the round.

bubbakaloosh said:
I have a question, why are you dry firing your gun so much that you need these caps or what ever their called? Not trying to sound like a troll im actually curious lol

Dry firing builds muscle memory on your trigger finger. Ensuring correct follow through and breathing timing/technique. All with the benefit of being in the comfort of your own home and not having to go to a range.

fa1rshooter said:
I just got it back today after sending it in early January. The delay was due to them not having enough .22 to test fire the repaired rifles.

They replaced the entire action and not just the firing pin. Also included an extra 25 rd magazine as a freebie. Very happy with their service. My first mossberg but I'll definitely buy from them again.

Glad someone had a positive experience with Mossberg customer service. Lately almost all Ive been hearing are negative ones. Hope we get the same experience like yours when if ever we need our guns serviced :)

leadgunner said:
bubbakaloosh said:
I have a question, why are you dry firing your gun so much that you need these caps or what ever their called? Not trying to sound like a troll im actually curious lol

Dry firing builds muscle memory on your trigger finger. Ensuring correct follow through and breathing timing/technique. All with the benefit of being in the comfort of your own home and not having to go to a range.

Yeah but if the firing pin didnt slam against the end of the barrel ide say go for it but if you just do a simple google search on dry firing rimfire you will hear and see some really bad examples of why its not a good idea.

If its a center fire thats different the firing pin doesnt hit anything but air. Rimfire works different.

Its your gun i guess you can do what you want. If you asked me if i dry fire mine ide tell you absolutly not. I have in the past and i wont any more because .22 is already finiky enough i dont want to do anything that can add to the problems these already have.

BowerR64 said:
leadgunner said:
bubbakaloosh said:

Yeah but if the firing pin didnt slam against the end of the barrel ide say go for it but if you just do a simple google search on dry firing rimfire you will hear and see some really bad examples of why its not a good idea.

If its a center fire thats different the firing pin doesnt hit anything but air. Rimfire works different.

Its your gun i guess you can do what you want. If you asked me if i dry fire mine ide tell you absolutly not. I have in the past and i wont any more because .22 is already finiky enough i dont want to do anything that can add to the problems these already have.

Thus, the need for snap caps / used shells :)

Back