• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 JM Edition Failure To Extract Almost Every Shot

Hello everyone,

I'm new but I just recently got my Mossberg 930 Jerry Miculek edition, 22" barrel. I really like it except for the fact that it has failed to extract the empty hulls after almost every single shot. The odd part is it extracts perfectly fine when manually cycling the gun.

Anyone have any experience with this? The bolt always locks back after firing the last round and it functions fine if I manually remove the non-extracted hull. Sometimes it will get it part way or mostly out of the chamber but other times it is stuck completely inside the chamber. I even had to remove one with a cleaning rod it was stuck so badly.

I have tried cleaning out the chamber and barrel thoroughly but it didn't seem to help. Could this be ammo related or is it there a problem with the extractor?

Thanks for your time.

What ammo are you using?

Looks to me like your ammo may not have enough poop to properly cycle the action.

Possible, but the action is locking back, just the hull isn't extracted or ejected. If it wasn't powerful enough, would the action still lock back?

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
What ammo are you using?

Looks to me like your ammo may not have enough poop to properly cycle the action.
This, please let us know what ammo you are using, it plays a major role in the function of a semi auto shotgun.

They get real tricky with ammo rated under 1200fps, and yes it often will cause extraction issues even though the bolt is pushed far enough back to lock. I'm assuming you've stripped and cleaned the weapon? Sorry, we have to ask...

Welcome to the forum Krylanco,
Failure to extract. Hmmm. Well, if it is a new gun, I would start with a complete tear down and cleaning. Then relube with a light oil. There could be several reasons actually. Since you don't mention failure to feed, (The first round or subsequent rounds) then I have to assume that it is purely an extraction problem. The owners manual shows how to breakdown your shotgun for cleaning and inspection. The specific section on the gas system is below:

GAS SYSTEM CLEANING
The gas system includes the magazine tube, seal ring*, gas piston, spacer tube,
gas system return spring, and gas cylinder portion of the barrel (Figure 15). These
parts should be thoroughly cleaned using solvent. A stiff brass bristle brush is
useful for removing stubborn deposits.
Apply a light coat of gun oil to all metal parts and then wipe thoroughly with a dry
cloth. Excess oil will accelerate the build up of carbon residue in the gas system
and may have a negative effect on the firearm’s performance.

My guess is that this should take care of the problem. I suspect that the two small holes in the gas system portion of the barrel, (the large round unit welded to the bottom of the barrel that slides over the magazine tube) are not completely open. But the entire gas system assembly should be inspected. If after you do a thorough cleaning and ensure that all of the associated parts are working without binding etc., then I would suggest you send it back to Mossberg and let them deal with it.

The 930 is a great gun and for most functions flawlessly for thousands of rounds. But it is still a mechanical device that must have all moving parts operating smoothly. Good luck.

Paul

I'm using Fiocchi #8 12ga 2 3/4". 1 1/8 of oz. of shot. 1200 fps velocity.

I did break it down and clean it out but I wasn't that thorough. Would ammo or the gas system really matter for extraction? Sorry, I'm new to shotguns and that just seems counter-intuitive to me. The gun seems to be cycling fine minus the really awful extraction. That almost always, at least in my rifle experience, points to not enough extractor tension. Is that not the case here?

Yes, especially a new weapon. There is a period for all of the parts to start wearing in together. Some call it a break-in period. Personally I think the gun should operate 100% from the first round. But try some loads with a little more umph and see if the problem goes away. It is well documented that the 930 likes a heavier load. But DO complete a thorough cleaning. The guns shipped from the factory are full of grease and are heavily lubed from the manufacturing process and also to reduce any possibilty of rust etc before it reaches the customer. Good luck and keep us informed.

Paul

Haven't had any extraction issues with my 930 but as wierd as it may seem, under-powered ammo can cause extraction issues. I own a Desert Eagle MK VII .357 magnum. IMI recommended 158gr ammo for proper cycling of the action. Most of the readily available ammo in my area is all 110-125gr and I picked up a few boxes to try out. It turned my semi-auto into a single shot every stinkin time. I had to pry the cases out after every shot. Once I loaded up a mag of 158gr, it functioned flawlessly with no adjustments to the extractor. Your 930 is new, so there may be a bit of break-in to go through and I wouldn't discount raven's advice. Function check first, then try runnin some hotter ammo through her to loosten it up a bit. Before you know it, she shouldbe runnin just fine...

Should I just follow the manual's advice as far as cleaning and lubrication or is there another preferred proven method? Heavy, medium, or light lubrication? Which parts? Just checking. Thanks.

Also what is considered stronger ammo? Higher FPS? Larger shot? I'm a total shotgun newbie. I bought this entirely for 3 gun competition.

Yep, just follow the manual, use oil sparingly, something light designed for guns. The oils used for cleaning and lubrication have properties that keep things running smooth but don't evavorate like an oil like WD40.

There is a thread on tools for the 930 you might want to add to make disassembly and reassembly quick and easy. A BoreSnake for cleaning the barrel occasionally and q-tips, a toothbrush and a set of brass punches to pop out the pins holding the trigger assembly goes a long way to maintaining your weapon in tip top shape. A package of pipe cleaners to clean out those small holes I was talking about can be helpful too. But initially, a good degreaser is going to make the job of the first cleaning easier.

A round with more FPS is what you are looking for. Shot size doesn't matter. 1200 fps is the minimum you would consider.

Most importantly for you right now is that you tear down the weapon, degrease it and use a light lube on all moving parts. A new weapon that hasn't been completely taken down and cleaned and inspected, most likely will have some fairly heavy grease left over from the manufacturing process.

Paul

Okay, got it all apart and cleaning it all off.

Question: Got this part that isn't shown in the manual as far as I can tell, not sure where it came from. It fell out as I was taking it all apart. It's got several parts. What looks like a metal bushing or cover, a metal guide rod and a spring, the spring is yellow colored. Where did this come from?

Oh, and I did want to add that every round (except one which was badly stuck and I had to push it out with a cleaning rod) extracted perfectly by hand, just not automatically. So I'm guessing you guys may be right about the ammo.

Any brands you specifically recommend?

Well, I'm a big fan of Hornady. But it depends what you are doing as to shot selection. Skeet, trap, big game, home defense, bird etc. That will determine shot selection and then you can go on-line and check some of the Major vendors like "Cheaper than Dirt" and look at their huge selection and make a decision as to what you would like to try.

Paul

raven01750 said:
Look on the last page of the owners manual and tell me which area the parts came from.

Paul

I could just be being stupid but I honestly can't find it on the diagram. Would a picture of it help?

Sure, if you can send one, that may help. Mossberg has sent their SG's out with different colored springs sometimes. So, the "yellow" spring doesn't help me much. Try and include the pieces next to other parts for size comaprison too please. Thanks.

Paul

Back