• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 JM Edition Failure To Extract Almost Every Shot

Glad to hear it Krylancelo. At this point, it sounds like getting some rounds down range with a little more power will smooth things out. I bet you know more about your SG now than you ever expected. :lol:

Paul

Good to hear....Two other tips to pass on. Some say leaving your weapon stored empty with the bolt open when new will help relax the recoil spring a bit, helping the break in period. Not sure about that one myself, just passing it along. The second one which you can bet the bank on is that the interior of SOME new receivers and barrel chambers can stand being polished which will help both feeding and extraction issues. Do a search on the subject before diving into anything.
Regards...

Here is the post that SeaScout is talking about. I only post it because it's a subject I hadn't come across either. I don't see how it would hurt as long as you were careful and don't remove too much material.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3321&hilit=polishing+receiver

If your competition requires you to shoot low power ammo, maybe it is something you would consider. For me, I shoot slugs at 2000 FPS at the muzzle. Low velocity hasn't been an issue for me! :D

Thanks for mentioning this SeaScout. Even though me and low power brass haven't become aquanted yet, there's nothing like the personal pleasure in fine tuning your own guns to make them into amazing machines.

Paul

Someone also mentioned earlier in the thread about adjusting the extractor. Can that actually be done? Can I add more extractor tension?

Go to the top of the page and do a search. I know that I have been through all eight pages of individual topics on the 930 but still I am constantly surprised by valuable information that I missed. I personally haven't seen a thread on adjusting extractor tension. But heck, it could be here. Good luck with your new gun and the competitions.

Paul

Regarding extractors, one must be careful. Yes they can be tuned. One of the first things to check after making sure the bolt and extractor are well cleaned, lubed and moving freely, is the condition of a extracted shell's rim. Run your finger all around the base checking for scarring caused by a burr on the extractor. My SPX left left horrible burrs on hand cycled shells when I first got it. Extractors can be polished, shaped, bent in various ways etc but you really need to know what your doing. Springs can be replaced and upgraded also. If there is no sign of obvious extractor issues like a broken spring or a burr on the extractor, one usually benefits most by starting with polishing the chamber bore to help insure smooth extraction.
Best

SeaScout

Found this on another site. Posted for information purposes only.

I have a 930SPX that was a problem child right out of the box. I was so upset I wanted to sell it, but I thought theres got to be something I can do. I cleaned it, shot it, cleaned it and shot it some more. It would FTE and jam literally more than half the time with any loads I put in it.

Its fixed now, over 400 low brass rounds without a single problem so far.

I finally decided to put the gun under the microscope to see where the problem lied.
I found that the chamber was rough as could be. I ran my finger around in it and I could fell the scratches and grooves in it. Thats always a problem.

Also, I noticed that the extractor wasnt really grabbing the shells worth a crap. It seemed to not reach in toward the bolt face enough. I fixed that too. I had to remove the extractor from the bolt and file down a little area where the extractor met the bolt body. this allowed the extractor to reach in towards the center of the bolt face a little more, ensuring that it has a good bite into the shell casing. This also gives a slight bit more pressure on the shell pushing it to the left hand side of the gun during cycling ensureing good engagement on the ejector, that makes sure that it throws the old out with authority and gets it out of the way for the new cartridge instead of jamming like mine always did. The extractors seem to be like rough cast, or rough forged and that allows for alot of variance between production runs. Some may need help. Re hardened the steel and reassembled.

Lastly I noticed that there are two sets of gas rings in the gas piston. Each one has its own gap. Ensure that the gaps are opposite of each other, just like piston rings in an engine. This will reduce lost compression, or in the case of the shotgun lost gas pressure.

So, polish chamber, alighn gas rings and adjust the extractors attitude and you should be on your way to a happy gun.

Hey guys, just joined here a day or so ago.

One question regarding the initial cleaning, re: 930

What type of degreaser do you recommend to remove the heavier shipping grease?
I was thinking maybe something like Brake-Clean (automotive) but I have a feeling it may be too aggressive on the bolt and slide finishes.

I do have some Break-Free CLP, but I am not sure it will be aggressive enough on the heavier stuff.

Thanks, trying to keep this on topic.

Welcome aboard!
All those will work. Let me say that after years of using Break Free I have switched to Slip 2000 lubes and cleaners. Check out their web site for research but you can buy it cheaper on line at various places. Amazing stuff and no smell, non toxic and biodegradable.

http://www.slip2000.com/

Wow, I thought I was the only person with 930 JM problems. I just got the gun back from Mossberg after getting some warranty work on it because I had the same problem as you. I made a video of it before I sent my shotgun to Mossberg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCjm5dlp304

Now that I have it back, the 930 JM extracts perfectly. Here are things I noticed when I got it back:
1. Elevator Replacement
The old feed ramp must've had a mechanical problem because the new elevator NEVER double feeds now. I can manually cycle all day and the timing is always perfect where it will not allowed TWO shells.

2. Extractor Claw
The original claw didn't "dig" deep enough to catch the lip of each shotgun shell. But this new replacement is clearly catching really well.

Now that I shoot, I have no problems whatsoever. :)

Back