• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 Special Purpose Combo

mister_e

.270 WIN
Okay, you guys talked me into it. No, I didn't go with the SPX, but I did order the field/home Special Purpose Combo, with the 18.5 barrel and a 28" ported vent rib field barrel - for $497.60. Only problem is, I have to wait until next week for it to come in.

778-DEFAULT-L.jpg

I had ordered a deer/waterfowl combo, but that would have left me with a 28" ported duck barrel, and a 24" ported-rifled slugster barrel, which would have left me with a very long HD barrel (not optimal for moving through the house if I had to)

So, now the fun begins - shopping for accessories. Main one will be an extension tube. Any preference between the Choate or Nordic? I see the price difference :eek: Just curious if there is justification.

And with the extension, I'll most likely add a rail for light or QD sling mount - so I'll have to do some more reading on what you guys have found that works.

Next would be to add a rail to the receiver for optics. I will most likely mount a red dot or reflex to it for HD use, and still be able to use it for clays, too. Any suggestions for rail or optical mounts?

Not sure what choke tubes might come with that barrel, so I guess I'll find out soon.

Other than that...now I just have to sit and wait :( But at least the deciding part is over :lol: Thanks to all for the advice, opinions, and suggestions.

Mr. E

I don't own the nordic extentions, but let me be the first to steer you clear of the choate extentions. 3 in a row and all are manufactured crooked. One of mine was awfully bad compared to the other two. Bad enough that there is no way in the world you'd be able to mount a clamp. Also it makes the gun look pretty retarded with the crooked extention.

Bizill said:
I don't own the nordic extentions, but let me be the first to steer you clear of the choate extentions. 3 in a row and all are manufactured crooked. One of mine was awfully bad compared to the other two. Bad enough that there is no way in the world you'd be able to mount a clamp. Also it makes the gun look pretty retarded with the crooked extention.

Thank you, Biz. Wow, talk about QC issues? So the Choate extentions screw on straight but the tube itself is crooked? That's really odd, and 3 strikes in a row, too.

When I first read your postings about that, I wondered if the extention tube or the threads on the gun were maybe off, and maybe that was causing the Choate tubes to go off and crooked.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this with the Choate tubes or is everyone else staying away and going to Nordic now after reading about your experience?

i wondered the same, but i know it's the choate because with all three there were varying degrees of crookedness. and on the worst one, i could actually feel the tube where it's brazed to the nut had a lip on one side and a void on the opposing side. this was also causing a few of my loading issues (not related to my lifter) as the follower or spring would get caught up at this place.

i will say this, choate was and is willing to keep trading me out for a perfect one, but i'm not playing that game. after i get my lifter issue figured out or get a replacement spx, i'm going to try the nordic route. everything is on hold for me until i get my issues figured out. so that means both the nordic clamp and the aimpro tri-rail manufactures won't get any of my money just yet. and until then, i'm gonna just keep chugging away with my spx as is because it's still very fun to shoot and even my 12 year old is shooting clays with it. "PULL!"

Good to hear.

Tell you the truth, I was all but sold on the SPX until I started reading about all the issues that many were having. I know its most likely just the teething pains that manufacturers go through with new products, especially ones that are in high demand. And this causes corners to get cut and steps to get missed, which can all add up to the problems that folks are having.

That's why I elected to go with the combo package, I still have the short barrel for HD, and a long barrel to use for hunting and clay shooting. But I don't end up with the options that have added to or been a part of many of the issues, such as crooked front sights, loose rails, etc. Or at least I hope I don't end up with any problems, and if there are, may they be minor and easily addressed. I just want it to be RELIABLE. I don't need any bells and whistles, just want it go BANG where and when I need it to. If it does that with regularity that I can count on, I'll be happy.

Good deal man, and I like it!

Based on reviews and issues with the Choate I'd go with the Nordic.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=906

The above link has information about the various magazine extension tubes. I am really impressed with the quality of the Nordic Components magazine extension tubes. They are certainly worth the extra money. I would get the Nordic Components magazine tube clamp with tactical rail if you want to mount a light.

The rail mount for the receiver is really up to you. I would go with whatever one you can find that fits your budget.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=475

The above link has some information about chokes on a Mossberg 930 autoloader. I run the Trulock chokes and highly recommend them to others.

Hope that helps.

Yea the factory Mossberg accu-chokes are very reasonably priced. I have those as well and will be doing a comparison of patterning this weekend if I get a chance.

Well, I won't be breaking in a Special Purpose combo this week :cry:

The store where I placed the order said that they are OUT OF STOCK, with NO word as to when they will be in again :cry:

So....I may decide to go the other route, and get the Waterfowl/Deer combo for the same price. Then save up a few $$'s and order a 18.5" barrel from here:

http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/moss-bbl.htm

OR...I'll have to check to see if I can get the 930 in a 28" field barrel by itself, and order the other barrel.

This stinks.

Funny thing is, I can get just about any 'tactical' version of the 930 there is, EXCEPT the field/security combo, even an SPX :roll:

Oh well...things could be worse. I could have got booted off American Idol :lol:

I might be interested in the deer barrel if you end up going that route and want to sell it. Keep us updated.

As requested, here's the UPDATE ;)

I'm a happy camper today :D

I went back to my local gun shop today to ask if they might be able to special order the home/field combo package for me. Short story - no. :roll:

But, they were also packing up stuff to take to the gun show this weekend in town. So I reminded him that during the last show, he had a 930 Home Security, with 18.5" barrel for $429 at the last show. He replied that it must have been a mistake, as that would be almost COST for him. Uh-huh...sure ;) So he offered it to me for $459.

Well, after hmmmm-ing and ahhhh-ing for a bit (it says you need to do that in the 'how to get the best gun deal' digest ;) ), I sadly handed it back to him, and told him that I would seriously like to take it home today for $429. Now granted this is my local shop that I've bought most of my collection from through the years, so maybe that helped.

He told me that he would take the $429 if I was going to BUY it today, so I handed him the plastic. :D

I now have a Mossy 930 Home Security model. No sooner did I get it home, when I started second guessing myself on whether or not I should have got the waterfowl/deer combo, and then just bought the 18.5" barrel. :lol: I figure I have ~$440 into this one with the background check, and will have to spend about $180 for a 28" vent rib, so I'd be in it for $620.

If I went the other way, I would have had the waterfowl/deer combo for $497. Then had to spend another $152 for the 18.5" barrel. So I would have had $649 into it, with THREE barrels :eek: :x

Sad part is, if they had the Home/Field combo IN STOCK, I could have ordered it for $497. :(

So I'll be content with what I have, at least I have it and now can focus on cleaning it up and figuring out what I want to add or change. I'll post pix as soon as I can. Thanks again for all the input and support.

Mr. E

Congratulations on your new Mossberg 930 home security! Now let the fun begin.

mister_e said:
DHonovich said:
Congratulations on your new Mossberg 930 home security! Now let the fun begin.

Has anyone had the 18.5" barrel threaded for chokes yet? And if so, how did it turn out?
AIMPRO is doing one for me as I type this. I will let you know how it turns out when it arrives.

Dude, I'm seriously diggin it! I think ya did great, nice work!!!

Hmm, if/when I get a 930, I believe it will have to be the same model...

Rossignol said:
Dude, I'm seriously diggin it! I think ya did great, nice work!!!

Hmm, if/when I get a 930, I believe it will have to be the same model...

Thank you. I decided to go that way after hearing about the 'teething' issues the SPX was having at times - and for added cost, too.

I'm used to a plain bead, so the transition over to the 930 from the 500's should be a non-issue. Eventually I may add some optics it.

Originally, I was shopping for the field/home security package, with the 28.5" barrel and 18.5" barrel. But Mossy is backed up. Then I found the waterfowl/deer combo, and almost bought that one, and was going to order a 18.5" barrel. That probably is the better way to go, because you end up with 3 barrels to cover just about any need.

Back