• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 SPX: Add a Picatinny Rail (Cheap 'n Easy DIY)

Thought I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread.

Installed a Midwest Industries long rail (pn: MCTAR-03) on the forearm of my 930, so I could properly mount the switch for my light.

The install went pretty smooth, but took some work to get it fit. I had to grind down the screws and nuts. The nuts have a large flange with a raised section, so there is more thread engagement. I had to drill a large hole (Z drill bit), so the raised section is a press fit into the handguard. I had to grind down the nuts to an overall height of approx. 0.150", so the flange would pull tight to the inside of the handguard. The screws are ground down, so they don't protrude threw the back of the nuts.

I didn't get any inprogress photos, but here are a couple of the final product.

20230618_193304.jpg
20230618_193310.jpg

Thanks for this old post. Really appreciate the effort you put in with the images. Just did the same with my 930.
1. Filed a groove in the base of the rail to match the stock.
2. Used a Dremel to dig out 2 shallow graves where the MLock nuts lay.
3. After locktiting the screws, used the Dremel to remove the excess thread.

Really happy and thanks again
Just a suggestion, I found that it really helps protect my projects! See if your local gun shop has a blueing marker. It looks like a Sharpie with a blue cap. It will put a finish back on those MOE nuts and help protect them in the long run. I carry a fresh one in my range bag for touch ups and scratches.

Thought I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread.

Installed a Midwest Industries long rail (pn: MCTAR-03) on the forearm of my 930, so I could properly mount the switch for my light.

The install went pretty smooth, but took some work to get it fit. I had to grind down the screws and nuts. The nuts have a large flange with a raised section, so there is more thread engagement. I had to drill a large hole (Z drill bit), so the raised section is a press fit into the handguard. I had to grind down the nuts to an overall height of approx. 0.150", so the flange would pull tight to the inside of the handguard. The screws are ground down, so they don't protrude threw the back of the nuts.

I didn't get any inprogress photos, but here are a couple of the final product.

View attachment 29482
View attachment 29483
Any way you could show pics of the inside mounting and where you put the hardware?

Back