• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

All Metal trigger group

Duck

.22LR
Hey everyone,

I'm looking into getting a new trigger group which is all metal. I don't know much about them so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what I should get?

Is there different groups from different makers that have better specs to them? I'm planning on taking it to get a trigger job done but maybe I can get one that doesn't need to...Not sure. I thought I would ask here first then do a bunch of research to make sure I'm spending my money on something worth while.

I found one so far http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/ ... 24369.aspx

Seems like everyone loves it but I don't know anything about them.

Thanks for any help.

I believe the model 590 comes from Mossberg with a metal trigger group and will fit into a model 500. I don't know of any others.

What kind of a trigger job are you wanting to have done to your shotgun?

Not to sure.....

I only bought my first gun last year after my inlaws showed me how to handle guns. My family hated them growing up.

Anyways what kinds are there? I was thinking you take it in and say here you go make it feel good....LOL. I want it to feel like a small glass tube snapping but its a field rifle so I don't want it to light.

Duck said:
Seems like everyone loves it but I don't know anything about them.

Ok, first there is no real reason to change it. The standard trigger group is plenty durable and I cant even remember reading or talking to anyone who has ever broke one.

secondly, your trigger pull on your shotgun is good for what it is meant for. Meaning , like you said, you don't want it to light.....especially if you are new to firearms and shotgun are designed to be moved and swung around a lot wing hunting so a hair trigger is not to ideal for that.
You should learn to manipulate the stock trigger well first and acquire good trigger press and control before moving on to something more touchy.

a shotgun can be shot precisely but it is not a precision weapon. Trigger jobs are a nice edge for pulling a tighter group. I think it would be great if you became proficient enough with your shotgun that the trigger was holding you back but I think that is going to take a lot of time and dedication on your part ......you cash would be more wisely spent on ammunition and range time, learning the discipline of the trigger. If you really want to be a good long gun shooter, buy a pistol and master that.

of course if you just want it just because , or you think its cool then by all means go for it.

My stock 500 trigger is broke.

Well, let me rephrase that.

The safety doesn't work on my 500 due to the little plastic tab that is supposed to be on the rear of the trigger is broke off.

With that said, I have never see anyone do a trigger job on a shotgun.

Not even one with a slug barrel that people use for hunting that want and require accurately placed shots.

I'm with Oli. It would probably be better to try to use the gun a little before making the decision to do it or not. Most shotguns have a fairly heavy trigger pull, but I don't pay any attention to that when I'm shooting or hunting.

Thanks for the info....To be honest I was going off what a hunting buddy was telling me so I thought I would look into it.

I will stick with what I got a learn my gun and trigger for what it is.
To much to fast gets you into trouble.

John A. said:
My stock 500 trigger is broke.

Well, let me rephrase that.

The safety doesn't work on my 500 due to the little plastic tab that is supposed to be on the rear of the trigger is broke off.
well we don't talk enough anymore lol

Duck said:
Thanks for the info....To be honest I was going off what a hunting buddy was telling me so I thought I would look into it.

If your friend is posting up with a rifle and making 2 or 300 yard shots at game then I can totally see the benefit in a nice medium to light break.....50 to 100 or so with a shotgun not so much.....depends on what you hunting

Duck,
You are getting top notch advice here on shotguns.
I am an avid shotgun shooter and a competitive trap shooter.

Shooting the game of trap, you do find people that have had trigger jobs done on their shotguns.
But trap is a different kind of game. One shot at a time. The gun is NEVER loaded until it is your turn to shoot.
The lighter trigger pull is a plus here. Some even convert their triggers to "Release Triggers" at this time I am not a fan of them, but if I ever develop a "flinch" the main reason for "Release Triggers" then I may appreciate one.

Skeet, Sporting Clays, 5 Stand and Hunting, you RARELY find anyone that has messed with their trigger.

Keep in mind that when shooting a shotgun at flying targets, trigger pull is not the squeeze that you probably learned on pistols and rifles, shotgun triggers are meant to be "Slapped" by the trigger finger.

Triggers jobs are uncommon on shotguns because there is rarely any benefit.

In regards to the metal trigger assembly: this is the OEM part for a M590A1. There is only one; no aftermarket or any other type. The attributes and weaknesses of this trigger are not within the scope of this post. But to put it shortly: in the best case scenario a metal trigger is expensive with minimal benefits.

Excuse me,,,,his first sentence makes a lot of sense.

Little plastic tab,,,,,,connector

,,,,as far as ( your shotgun needs to have a functional safety even though it may be rarely used. If you post more details we will be glad to get you squared away.)

You can use a safety,,,,but NEVER rely on it.

Attachments

• trigger 500 3.jpg
    trigger 500 3.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 269
First off, I realize that I responded to the wrong message and edited it immediately. How in the hell you found my old message is beyond me.

But the moderators want to throw their weight around? Try me.

There is no little plastic tab in that picture. There is a polymer trigger housing with a STEEL trigger block.

blacksmith said:
First off, I realize that I responded to the wrong message and edited it immediately. How in the hell you found my old message is beyond me.

There is no little plastic tab in that picture. There is a polymer trigger housing with a STEEL trigger block.

Why the hostility man? I like the info you posted in your other thread about the differences in trigger groups, and honestly its a good source of info for new folks (and old that may not know ;) )

That said... moderator or not, I don't see how old mossy was throwing his "weight" around?

blacksmith said:

No one was throwing their weight around except for you in the post above, so I'll tell you personally, try ME. We don't have any tolerance for anyone trying to cause a ruckus.

If you haven't, I suggest that you read the rules: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=150

As for plastic tab on the rear of the trigger that engages the safety that I was referring to, I highlighted it in red for you.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n33/ ... 1386764626

Thanks for the kind words Savanaman. I'll calm down.

And thanks for the reply John. I guess I could respect you if you posted a picture of a plastic trigger :lol:

Whether it is plastic, polymer, forged aluminum, extruded or cast aluminum or whatever it is made from (certainly doesn't feel like steel, nor high quality), changes very little in the discussion.

I just got home and checked the trigger on the older mossberg, and while it didn't feel like it was metal or sound like it when tapped with a finger nail, it did attract a magnet.

I just checked my 1988 500A and it has a metal trigger, magnet sticks (trigger itself guard is polymer)
Sounds like Mossberg switches these around also. :)

You can do a "Trigger Job" on a M 500.
The only downside I see is when tuning it there will be a lot of reassemble to see if the safety still functions in order to hit the sweet spot of safety function plus a light trigger.
I do like the metal trigger group and may go that route after the first of the year.
My understanding is that the .Mil decided when considering shotguns a all meatl trigger group housing was a must have.

I've seen a few trigger jobs on shotguns but it has been specifically on slug guns. Timney makes a drop in kit for 870, 11-87, et all. I've never seen one for a Mossy.

I guess if I could only hunt with a shotgun and I wanted to squeeze every bit i could out of it I would do this. Also as LTB said if I needed it for a competitive edge in some type of clays otherwise I think it's kind of a waste.

Back