• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone notice other forums unfriendly atmosphere ? Makes you really appreciate it here

In all sincerity, our members are second to none here. I'm not downing any other forum, but there are some real hum-dingers out there.

There are people here who have vast amounts of knowledge about all things gun related. I learn something most every time I check the board and I truly enjoy and appreciate that. And I have made some good friends here too.

Not speaking for anyone in specific here besides myself, but there are several that have been banned on other forums for stupid things from other places. At least I have.

That's why we try to keep the moderation activities as minimal as we can. While we have no issues with banning anyone that really needs it, (especially spammers--ask ole' mossy what his current count is LOL) I think most of us prefer to have an forum where we all act like adults and treat each other with respect and common decency.

I haven't spent much time on other forums of any kind actually. But the times I've checked in on other places...makes me remember why I always wind up back here.

In truth, I don't spend much time surfing anymore and have little time for recreational activities. So, I stick with MO cuz the peeps here are just a stellar bunch of like minded people.

This topic reminds of @nitesite's post some year ago or so showing pics from work and such. Some douche decided to jump him in a reply and this place just went nuts on the loser. It was actually pretty humorous the way our loyal members and mods closed ranks on this clown, defended our friend and shut him down.

I have had nothing but 100% encouraging, informative and straight up helpful interactions with the membership here.

The only other forum I frequent is Remington Owners and well...check it out and you'll know why.;)

A big thanks to the admin, mods and members here at MO....this place is second to none.:cool:

I have been a member on a number of forums in a couple of different hobbies and I was a moderator on a Swiss watch collectors forum for several years. I have observed over the years that most forums tend to start out very open and friendly. Over time the central members tend to become cliquish and form a closed circle. Then the atmosphere changes to what most forums are used to. The primary members never seem to notice it because they consider it their forum and new members feel unwelcome. To me it seems that it all begins with the typical noob question and the chain of responses to the effect of "Did you try the search feature?" That is the beginning of the end. Of course most can search for their answers and just remain a lurker forever, but explaining the same stuff to noobs over and over is the personal touch a good forum requires, IMHO. This is what creates members instead of guests. They change back sometimes, sometimes not. The ones that do not stagnate and die eventually.

I am surprised H Kult is that way and has not died .... im assuming its because their extreme infatuation with the brand .... I mean I'm a GMC guy but have had 2 Dodge Rams, I'm a Lexus guy but also had a Benz etc etc .... all things that are not your prefered brand are not inferior & all people whom dont share your warren jeffs approach are not either.... but I agree with your assesment. ... I have never answered a question with the did you search it first response. That is not the way to make a lurker feel anything else but they asked the wrong people in the wrong place .... forums are " supposed " to be a friendly, knowledgeable community ....

Something I've seen MO members do over and over again;
They'll voluntarily search for you and post links in addition to repeating the same information and advice as they've done countless times before.

Real good guys here. The people are the difference and inspire and challenge me to do and be better myself.

(especially spammers--ask ole' mossy what his current count is LOL)...

...oh oh...now ya done it !!

23645b93-5da2-418f-a390-8fd5a010474f_zpshwlr0uaz.jpg

"The only other forum I frequent is Remington Owners and well...check it out and you'll know why.;)"

Thanks cmcdonald...!! :cool:

...and a special thanks goes out to all the staff here and the sister forums !!

In regards to Rossignols comment of members searching first and posting a link, in my opinion that is what you should do. I am very new here and have found it to be a very laid back forum. I typically do not post a ton of stuff or comment on much until I have the lay of the land, but this topic is very important to me. I am currently on a forum that has been around a long time and has recently had a purge of old members lamenting how the place isn't what it used to be. Well, it has improved with them gone. The people that seem to complain how times have changed on the forum, are usually the biggest problems. Not always, but more often than not.

Something I've seen MO members do over and over again;
They'll voluntarily search for you and post links in addition to repeating the same information and advice as they've done countless times before.

Real good guys here. The people are the difference and inspire and challenge me to do and be better myself.

...seems to me that repeating the same thing multiple times is the best way for the information to show up in the search feature... ;)

"The only other forum I frequent is Remington Owners and well...check it out and you'll know why.;)"

Thanks cmcdonald...!! :cool:

...and a special thanks goes out to all the staff here and the sister forums !!
You're most welcome shooter. You do fantastic job over there. I know not as much traffic but lots of really good useful info on RO and as usual...low douche!:D

I should probably 'fess up for any newer members here on MO....as more than a few members here know, I don't actually own a Mossberg anymore. Long story...eh LES?!? But thanks to all the support and help I received here...well I just couldn't leave this community. It doesn't matter what firearms you own, these folks just love guns. And so do I!

Thanks to Rip...my bear has a hat to wear at the cabin!!:D
image.jpg

Nice hat bro....one of these days I want to have some more hats made up.

My hat bill is worn out. The camo material is gone all the way around the right edge where I usually grab it.

Back