• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR 15 , 4 powders, 6 projectiles,3 primers 19 loads testing

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Shot 8 different loads yesterday.

Bad news : thunder storms most of the day so I didn’t get to or want to go long distance

Good news: I did shoot them at 100 yards

Bad news: I expected better from my reloads, I rarely shoot for groups. I can see how it can consume a person

Good news: A couple of them out did the two factory loads I had, and it was all fun. Trying to settle on a one load per bullet weight so I can spend less time at the bench.

Still no bipod or anything but I felt good with the rest I did have, still not perfect but oh well.

Reminder to self, the PA ACSS optic is a fast get lead on target from 8 to 800 yards with little thought scope as the name suggest Advanced Combat Sighting System.

I liked the Reloader 15 for the 75gr HPBT and H335 for the 55gr FMJ, will use it for the 55gr SP.

I might try a couple more charges and call it good, I’ll add to this as I do

I’ll get the most accurate loads out to 4 or 500 yards and update this as well.

Resting prone over my CamelBack

18 inch stainless, 1:8 twist barrel, 5.56 NATO chamber, pushing 4000 rounds total through barrel
PA ACSS 1-6x scope, Aero Precision extended mount

All reloads: case trimmed 1.750”, CCI 400 primer, crimped. The 75g HPBT was 2.260” oal and the 55g SP & FMJ’s were 2.210” oal….chronograph broken

85 degrees, super gusty wind Tstorms, 3200ft elevation

As always I am open to suggestions on the loads or ideas and experiences

FACTORY LOADS

RELOADS

Last edited:
I got a great load for 55 gr if you want it Oli.

Sorry, been busy around the house and forgot.

I'll PM it to you after supper. :cool:

When I first started loading .223 Rem I bought a different pound of powder every payday for a couple months. It turned out that I soon realized that just about every one of those powders called for around 24-grains and they all seemed to deliver acceptable accuracy. I was shooting an iron sighted A2 20" rifle, so without a scope I never found a "magic" recipe. They all shot under 2-MOA.

Nice to see you narrowing down your best recipies, oli.....

yeah, the hard part is getting acceptable FPS to work with my new scope BDC and still be accurate. I know I will find the combo but its requiring a lot of shooting.......sucks shooting all the time but I guess someone has to do it.

Dosent help that I found out my scope was a tic off cant......enough to make a difference at 500 yards.

I set up a plumb bob line in my garage , leveled the rifle, put my reticle up on it and seen this....the Aero Precision mount puts a little twist on the scope on the final torque down.

Now

Dude, I haven't mowed the lawn in three weeks....this weekend I had to set all shooting related everything aside. Neighbors were thinking I as trying to start a grass seed business

I intentionally don't mow the lawn for a couple weeks at a time and I don't even need a good excuse like loading ammo.

I just hate mowing grass period.

lol!
working, loading, shooting, bitching about the wind , celebrating nice groups, complaining about bad groups and cleaning the rifle is all I have been doing for about three weeks......everyday when I am not at work. Been laying prone in the grass so much I think I am starting to resemble a dog turd........I have gotten a couple ticks too.
Yesterday all I did was sit around, felt weird but cool at the same time, my son and his woman cooked me a good dinner for fathers day. Cant remember the last time I did nothing like that

back at it Saturday morning, will comeback with some results for the two MO members that reload for .223/5.56 lol, Hell I might be one of the two.....I though this was a firearms site, do you guys actually shoot your firearms :confused:?

somewhere in all this I plan to settle on one load for each projectile, so far most everything I am reloading is out shooting any factory ammo I have put it up against so I feel like I am getting good results.

3 powders , 4 projectiles, 2 primers ….14 loads testing........doesn't look like much but it took me 3 hours to do these perfect, powder changes, weight,projo change, primer change

Prvi Partizan .224 55gr fmj M193
Hornady .224 55 gr fmj bt
Sierra .224 69 gr Match King
Hornady .224 75 gr Hollow Point Boat Tail

Alliant AR-Comp
Hodgdon H-335
Alliant Reloader 15

CCI 400
CCI 450

Lake City '96-'97 5.56 NATO brass trimmed to 1.750" chamfered , deburred , primer crimp removed

COAL 2.200", 2.300", 2.550", 2.260"

Cannelured bullets slight roll crimp, 69gr-75gr slight taper crimp

back at it Saturday morning, will comeback with some results for the two MO members that reload for .223/5.56 lol, Hell I might be one of the two.....I though this was a firearms site, do you guys actually shoot your firearms :confused:?

I do not have the ability to shoot as frequently as I would like but yes!!!

I'm taking an interest in this. I just ordered some .223 dies and and working on getting back into he reloading game,.

I'm taking an interest in this. I just ordered some .223 dies and and working on getting back into he reloading game,.

Well Mike, that lower you got me into......has led to my sickness.....that one lower has lead to probably a couple more $ than I wanted to spend, chores that need to be done being ignored , sick days used, endless hours of reading about reloading, forgetting what my wife looks like, hours tweaking for accuracy ,building a total of 4 more AR's for friends including a .308 , hours of frustration and the most fun I have ever had with a firearm in all my life,......thank you brother from the bottom of my heart .

I hope some of my research and testing with reloads and bench time helps you in your reloading adventure. Please let me know if I can help in any way when you get started

You are truly welcome.

It's not often I will take pleasure in being the catalyst for a disease. LOL

I can't begin to count the tons of ziploc baggies I've used up by segregating reloading components (like brass sorted by headstamp, or tumbled and sized from tumbled/sized/primed, or as oli700 does separating and labeling load work-ups).

oli, I'm adding more shelves this week to keep things more organized. I'll send you a pic or two!

sweet bro more shelves never hurt, I thought I was being hoaky with the bags but they work good for it

Back