• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR 15 , 4 powders, 6 projectiles,3 primers 19 loads testing

I'm drawing a blank, whats the MAL case? Obviously Lake City is a Federal case. Probably just having a brain fart
MAL is/was a 5.56 NATO that was in abundance around here late 90's . It is Malaysian made and very hot. I put some through the chronograph and they averages a shade over 3400 fps out of my 18" barrel . The word is that they manufactured them to be shot through 14.5-inch Carbines that officers carried....trying to achieve 3200 fps in the short barrel.

And that is really all anyone should ask for.
77gr Nosler CC HPBT, 22.5 gr AR-Comp, no crimp, LC case 1.750”,OAL 2.260”…primers flattish but no soot around the primer and no hole in the cup. I went 22.8 @ 2702fps but got cratering and the group opened up

Thank you . I am happy with it....hard to be satisfied, a problem I have .....as you know.

wow, just going back and reading through all of this makes my head spin. major props to you Oli for documenting and sharing all of the information. i will definately be using some of the information here in my ensuing adventure.

Right now all I have is IMR 3031, with 55grain and 62 grain bullets. I've got 100 rounds loaded at well below max charges. These were just a practice batch basically. Once i know ive got the basics down I'll start playing with powders. An bullets. I need to aquire a couple more load manuals.

Right now all I have is IMR 3031, with 55grain and 62 grain bullets.

Great opportunity right there. You could do very well with just those components and tweaking it.

I've got 100 rounds loaded at well below max charges. These were just a practice batch basically. Once i know ive got the basics down I'll start playing with powders. An bullets. I need to aquire a couple more load manuals.

Don't get really wrapped up in having too many bullets and powders too quickly. That was the biggest mistake I made when I first started. I went every payday to buy another bottle of powder or something and before I knew it I had a dizzying array of stuff that I couldn't honestly keep track of the minutia and slight differences.

Right now all I have is IMR 3031, with 55grain and 62 grain bullets. I've got 100 rounds loaded at well below max charges. These were just a practice batch basically. Once i know ive got the basics down I'll start playing with powders. An bullets. I need to aquire a couple more load manuals.
My favorite 3031 load is 24g ,cci 400, any brass, 55fmj loaded mag length (2.260")

Last pound I loaded 23 grains and they shot and cycled excellent.

3031 starts compressed loads at 24.5g

Thanks, I went with 22.5 under the 55 grain fmj armscor, with cannelure, crimped. And 21.5 under the 62 grain, same bullet style. Both loaded right near mag length. Maybe just a few thousandth short. Plan to shoot them this afternoon.

If all is well with your rifle they should cycle and lock back the bolt.....but starting to go below 22G with 55fmj might not lock back depending how right your gas port size is

so far so good. they all functioned and fired just fine. didnt bother taking any pictures of the groups because they were nothing special. but now i know i can reload functional ammunition. thats a good starting point.

Great opportunity right there. You could do very well with just those components and tweaking it.

Don't get really wrapped up in having too many bullets and powders too quickly. That was the biggest mistake I made when I first started. I went every payday to buy another bottle of powder or something and before I knew it I had a dizzying array of stuff that I couldn't honestly keep track of the minutia and slight differences.

thats what i keep reminding myself.

so far so good. they all functioned and fired just fine. didnt bother taking any pictures of the groups because they were nothing special. but now i know i can reload functional ammunition. thats a good starting point.
Lock the bolt back every time ? Consistent ejection pattern ?

Thanks, I made up,another 50 yesterday afternoon, to start testing in the bull barrel upper. All 62 grain, all 2.250 C.O.L. but in .5 grain powder,increments. 5 groups of 10 rounds each. I should probably start my own thread soon. Wouldn't want all your great info to get buried in the pages of a hijack Oli

Sounds like you starting to get seriouse .

Post where you like, my pictures are gone but all it was was a bunch of target groups, I still have the targets.....when I first came here I didn't even know how to post a picture, never been on YouTube really lol. I still suck at computers ....it's all somewhere I'll run across it

Yeah but man you put a lot of time and effort into trial and error, and cataloging all the info, and reporting on the,findings. I pretty well understood what went into reloading, and working up groups before,I started doing it myself. But someone thats never done it probably couldn't wrap their head around 4 hours of work, to make 50 bullets, that can be blasted through in a matter of minutes. Your info alone can save hours, if not days of work for someone like me just getting started. Hell just simple stuff like understanding why you can put 4 or 5 more grains of one kind of powder, than another in the same cartridge. And how much of a difference .3 or .5 grains can make. The info is all truly appreciated.

Sweet, well here in the next couple months I'm going to start doing it again in a way but not so much accuracy but damage.

As much damage as can be put through an 8" Balistics Advantage 556 barrel LOL.

But seriously I was going to do a blackout bucause I'm a reloader it makes since but by the time I started into the data I decided it wasn't for me.

I don't like the narrow choice for powder, although I reload 30 cal all I have are expensive hunting bullets starting at 150 gr. the 125 or so gr FMJ are no where and spendyish.

I can find 556 components almost anywhere, blackout not so much....after all the research I concluded I can load and shoot the most top end .224 projo's and components exclusively and still come in under the cost of plinking ammo for 300.....probably no suppressor anytime soon so 556 since I have a ton of stuff for it

so I will see how fast I can get 77 gr and 69 gr Noslers to go out of it.....load a bunch to stash for the revolution and plink 55g .

I know going below 10" kills balistics on 556 but I shot a 7.5" at 100 yards and was actually amazed at its accuracy and it hit decent hard too. So I got an 8" cause with the heaviest , fastest, explosive 556 I bet it hurts and would make a good weapon in these parts.....proper projo being key

Back