• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR 15 , 4 powders, 6 projectiles,3 primers 19 loads testing

Good deal, lookin forward to it. 300 blackout did interest me a little, but only because its such a,custom load. The cutting down and reforming of .223 cases interests my inner metallurgy. But ive got enough rounds to load for now. My original intention of loading exclusively for 22-250 is quickly being pushed aside for the .223, but I do have 40 rounds for it loaded ready to test when I get a long clear afternoon. The benefit to that is you can use same projectiles as .223. My pops is excited for me to start loading for .308, since he has one he predator hunts with. Gonna try and make up some medium sized game loads that work equally well in both our rifles. I'm thinkin Nosler bonded. Somethin that will have distant reach, with good terminal ballistics. Also want to work with some good bonded bullets in .224 diameter. Definitely not for plinking though. From here on out my .223 reloads are exclusively for the bull barrel upper. I'll burn factory ammo through the carbine. And save the brass.

current line up

left to right
53gr Barnes TSX
55gr HDY SP
55gr Rem FMJ FB
55gr HDY FMJ BT
62gr SS109
69gr NOS CC HPBT
75gr HDY HPBT Match
77gr NOS CC HPBT

These what your shooting in the rifle? I've not been impressed with any of the soft point projectiles. Shot some Nosler custom comp factory second loaded ammo that did good. Going to get the projectiles eventually and load with them.

haven't shot the Barnes yet but yes to everything else, the soft points rock for me and those were 80 bucks a 1000 so I couldn't pass

Whats your recipe on the soft points? Maybe i just didnt find the magic number. I tried winchester an wasnt happy, so figured Nosler would be good to go, and was still disappointed. the Win soft points were tough to measure OAL because the tips were not uniform for all projectiles. i even went as far as to shoot some of the Hornady 62 TAP factory to no avail. My pet load at the moment is a 64 grain Berger

I loaded some rounds using CFE 223 and Barnes 53gr TSX

now I know shooting milk jugs don't mean shit.....but it does give you some comparison ability after you do it a bunch.
You see different things happen, different kinds of damage, I actually have learned thing about bullet performance shooting milk jugs full of water....anyway

here is the recovered Barnes 53gr from a distance of 50 yards by my range finder....and the weight it retained. I have never seen a rifle bullet retain this much after being punished as bad as it was at 3080fps

on a side note....yes by now you know what that means

I have never seen this from any bullet I have shot through a jug on a table, this table. Granted the shot placed below the equator of the jug it wasn't in the bottom 1/4 .

this is all from shock, the permanent stretched plastic and the bent steel support.....bent steel tubing.

no SMK,CC,SP,FMJ,XTP,Gold Dot....has done this yet, don't know why

Dayum, oli.... that is fascinating stuff. All I can say is Dayum!

Makes me feel pretty good about my patrol rifle load with the 62-gr Barnes TSX. My recovered bullets look just like yours do.

Dayum, oli.... that is fascinating stuff. All I can say is Dayum!

Makes me feel pretty good about my patrol rifle load with the 62-gr Barnes TSX. My recovered bullets look just like yours do.

Dave , all I can say about Barnes at this point is that they are one of if not the best for dealing death. Seen a few pulled out of game and that's where I first started learning about them.

I don't think you could have a better performing round in your rifle.....might not be the most accurate out there but they shame SMK on the damage coupled with drive IMO

oli-

Barnes is funny in their marketing of that bullet for uses other than hunting. The exact same bullet (the TSX * Triple-Shock X) is sold in similar packaging, but it's labeled M/LE Tactical Bullets.

:)

My belief is that this bullet, while excellent for hunting, is also a great choice for barrier penetration like sheetmetal, auto glass and wood while retaining 100% of its weight.

Last edited:
have you been keeping an eye on the 50gr Barnes developed as a barrier blind bullet ?.......Black hills is loading them now and by the looks it passes glass and doors , opens in the first couple inches of gel after penetrating the barrier

I need to look into that. Thanks for mentioning it. I appreciate it a lot my friend.

yeah, it sucks its only open to the public Tuesday and Thursday.......but its probably good or I would be buying buckets match projectiles

matched brass , weighed brass, weighed projo's, cleaned primer pockets,debured flash holes......took a casual few hours to load this 50

Back