• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kodiak, if you don't mind me asking a question, what do you think of the sprinco buffer spring?

I got one of the 2 stage XD springs not long after the company first opened, and it was nothing short of amazing.

They included a stainless steel guide rod, a slide bushing, and even a full set of different weight springs with it that really changed how the gun was shooting.

Obviously, I know all of that doesn't pertain to the AR buffer, but was curious how their AR spring does.

John, I have the Springco extractor spring kit, not the buffer spring. I do plan on buying the "blue" spring from them some time soon.

tcecil88, Yes, I've shot two matches with it so far. Zero issues with the rife. The shooter on the other hand.....

BTW, "the look" did not last very long. Follow along.
I have a M&P 15 OR. Of course, I got struck with EBRD. I picked up a MAGPUL AFG2 and liked how it felt and looked. The only problem was it was NOT black. I decided to take some pictures and show it off a little bit.

IMG_0761.jpg

I started looking at the pictures I took and noticed how well the AFG2 blended. I started thinking....It's not always a good thing when I think, I have a tendency to turn it into action. Here is the start of my action!

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

I'm not sure of what camo pattern I'm going to do yet. Maybe something similar to Multicam, since that is what I wear to tactical matches. I'll keep updating as I go along. I did three coats and used a full can of paint too.

That is a really good rattlecan camo job.

Worthy of a rep point for sure.

Dang nice work man! This is yet another thing I'm not brave enough to try on my own!

Thanks for all the positive comments. Here is a recap of how I did it. Don't be afraid to do this, it really is pretty easy to do.

1. I got my MULTICAM pant and scanned a part of it to my computer. I then printed it out in black and white.

2. Using scissors I cut out the various shapes. I picked up some large index cards and an X-acto knife. I took a fine point pen and traced each shape on it's own card. I then cut out each shape.

3. I cleaned the rife with degreaser, you can also use brake cleaner. I then let it dry.

4. I laid a base coat of Rust-oleum Camouflage Khaki. I shot light/medium coats. I let each coat dry about 30 minutes. I let it dry over night. The next evening I shot one more coat and touched up any cracks and crevices I missed. Make sure you move your safety so you don't have a dark spot when you go from safe to fire or fire to safe. Same with flip up sights, etc. I then let this coat dry for 24 hours.

5, I laid some old B27 targets down and looking at my Multicam started shooting Rust-oleum Satin Spruce Green. I kept all my shapes horizontal. I let the rifle dry for about 30 minutes.

6. I then moved on to Rust-oleum Camouflage Earth Brown, then Rust-oleum Flat Brown and finally Rust-oleum Satin Putty.

7. I did notice that the base coat Khaki was a little lighter than I wanted. I misted the rifle with Earth Brown to darken it just a bit. I then finished up shooting the shapes.

Things I learned.

A. Prep is everything!
B. Take your time. If your tired or it's getting late, just stop. Don't be in a rush to finish. It will be there when you wake up/get off of work.
C. When you come to the point that you start searching for where to put the next shape, you are most likely done. There will be a point when enough is enough and you'll just be over doing it.
D. Don't try to be Picasso, this is NOT the Sistine chapel, it's an AR-15.
E. Have fun doing it and enjoy your work afterwords.

Kodiak, ugh...

I just dont have that kind of patience. It all goes on at once here.

I've got THE itch! My new picatinny camera mount. I saw one professionally made on the net and later saw that someone had made their own version. I said to myself "Self, I can do that!" A scope ring, some aluminum bar stock and a drill is all it took. Can't wait to give it a try.

photobucket-21160-1346101611209.jpg

photobucket-27088-1346101642503.jpg

photobucket-11275-1346101682140.jpg

Nice dude! You made that? Dang, before I read the description, I thought it was a professional set up!

Kodiak said:
I've got THE itch! My new picatinny camera mount. I saw one professionally made on the net and later saw that someone had made their own version. I said to myself "Self, I can do that!" A scope ring, some aluminum bar stock and a drill is all it took. Can't wait to give it a try.

photobucket-21160-1346101611209.jpg

photobucket-27088-1346101642503.jpg

photobucket-11275-1346101682140.jpg

I dig! I may have to whip out the aluminum and stuff myself.

CRAP! I forgot to mention, My daughters AR should be finished today, I have the last of the parts ariving today, I will get some pic's up ASAP :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back