• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indoor range was not my first choice but I like to buy, inspect, shoot ASAP and send in the warranty card. It was a long day at work and the goal was a shake down session and to have some fun. I used all my mags and put 120 rounds down range. I had plenty of time left in my rental hour but the AR can do a lot more than 50 yds. I'm happy - it's a good end to the day - cleaned up and put away for as short a time as possible.

IDPA Sat. AM with my neighbor in a sanctioned match. Woot!

Mingaa,

How is that Vortex SPARC working out for you, I've been looking at this sight for a while. I'll have to check to see if a riser mount is avalible. I have yet to get any trigger time in, but I hope to do so this weekend. Congrats on your toy.

The SPARC is great. It only has a dot reticle (11 levels of brightness IIRC) but all controls are top notch-threaded covers and click detents - and it holds zero. On/off, bright up/down are right where you want them and weather resistant Just moved it from an SKS to the AR and with less recoil so it should continue impressive performance. The lens covers die fast on these. I'll replace with flip ups soon. Need to take to shop OR measure carefully. It is a keeper!!

Mingaa,

Is your rifle set up to shoot both .223 and 5.56mm, the LGS built mine inhouse and used the DPMS lower and a CMMG upper with a wasp 5.56mm carbine barrel, a Promag flip-up rear sight, and 20rnd Pmag magazine. Here in Maryland our "fun" is limited to only 20rnds mags. :(

Well, I think I'm going to hold off on the AR for 9-12 months. Due to having a hard time finding the gun I want for a price I'm willing to pay, I decided I'm going to finish accessorizing my 500 the way I want it. I'll continue looking for an AR after the upcoming election to see how that affects price and availability. So ... look forward to some updates on the Mossy! :D

BenSamp said:
Mingaa,

Is your rifle set up to shoot both .223 and 5.56mm, the LGS built mine inhouse and used the DPMS lower and a CMMG upper with a wasp 5.56mm carbine barrel, a Promag flip-up rear sight, and 20rnd Pmag magazine. Here in Maryland our "fun" is limited to only 20rnds mags. :(

Yes, it's 5.56 or 223. I need to buy 5.56 on line. No one stocks anything usable or affordable around here. I was hoping to test both but...

Sn3aKyGuY,

I had the same thought also, I went into a LGS to buy a holster for my Glock 22 and saw this rifle on display. I had looked at the M&P 15 and Sig 556 at Gander Mountain, and this rifle was a little more in price but had a lot more features and brought it on the spot. I had to wait 3 months for my 930 and 4 months for my 590A1. Don't sleep on it, last year sales were up 38% it might be even higher depending on the outcome of this years election and make supplies even harder to come by.

BenSamp said:
Sn3aKyGuY,

I had the same thought also, I went into a LGS to buy a holster for my Glock 22 and saw this rifle on display. I had looked at the M&P 15 and Sig 556 at Gander Mountain, and this rifle was a little more in price but had a lot more features and brought it on the spot. I had to wait 3 months for my 930 and 4 months for my 590A1. Don't sleep on it, last year sales were up 38% it might be even higher depending on the outcome of this years election and make supplies even harder to come by.
Yeah, I may just stock ammo next and shoot through the madness. I have anOther eight on the way and some more mags. Another gun would be a stretch. But tweaking and refining what I have may be the current reward.

mingaa said:
BenSamp said:
Mingaa,

Yes, it's 5.56 or 223. I need to buy 5.56 on line. No one stocks anything usable or affordable around here. I was hoping to test both but...
I have a Mini-14 also that shoots .223, a coworker had a Bushmaster he sold while I was on vacation I would have brought it, but he gave me over 500 rnds of .223 and 5.56mm knowing I had the Mini-14. I received 140 rnds of 5.56mm and the rest .223.

I received 140 rnds of 5.56mm and the rest .223.[/quote]
Ben please dont shoot the 5.56 out of your 14, I am not trying to insult your intelligence. I just dont want someone to get hurt. Not everyone understands that there is a difference between 5.56 and .223. I am not saying you didnt know this, I just had to put it out there.

PaperShooter.

I know all about it, I have not fired my Mini-14 in 10 years. BTW thanks for the concern, that was just ammo being saved for when I got a AR-15. The 5.56mm rounds were made in Korea so I won't be shooting them anyway, it would void my warranty from DPMS. I'm giving a rep point for the eagle eye.

I'm giving a rep point for the eagle eye.[/quote] Thanks Ben.
After a long time wanting/researching I finally put a M4 on layaway a couple of weeks ago. I must say I am happy with myself for doing my homework before buying. I can't wait to bring this beauty home.
I decided on a Daniel Defense M4-V7. The pics aren't great I took them with my phone in the gun shop.

Attachments

• IMAG0183.jpg
    IMAG0183.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 194
  • IMAG0182.jpg
    IMAG0182.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 194
PaperShooter,

A very nice set-up, I love the rear stock, I'm trying to get some info on the rear stock on mine from the LGS to see if it is mil-spec or commercial.

BenSamp said:
PaperShooter,

A very nice set-up, I love the rear stock, I'm trying to get some info on the rear stock on mine from the LGS to see if it is mil-spec or commercial.

You should be able to tell if you have a commercial or mil-spec tube with simple visual inspection

On the mil-spec buffer tube, the threads at the front are actually a larger diameter than the rest of the tube itself. In manufacturing, a large tube is used and threads lathed as normal. Next, the rest of the tube must be milled down to the military specified diameter. With a commercial-spec, you begin with a tube that matches the final tube diameter. The threads are cut into the front end with a lathe just like any other threaded pipe. Also, the rear surface of a mis-spec buffer tube is cut flat, whereas in a commercial-spec tube it will be somewhat slanted.

Here's a visual reference...

L.E.S.

Thanks for the help, I Have a commercial butt stock, this is new and uncharted terrority for me. now can I change to a mil-spec tube or am I stuck with the commercial. Or do I have to change my lower?

No problem Sir, glad to help.

The tube diameter and rear surface angle are the only substantial differences between commercial-spec and mil-spec tubes. The threads are the same size, so you can change between them on the same lower. Most manufacturers will offer their stocks in both commercial-spec and mil-spec versions so you may not have to change at all. The other thing to look at is your tube length. A2 buttstocks use a rifle length buffer tube, whereas most adjustable stocks use a carbine length.

What stock are you running now and which one are you looking to changing to?

BenSamp said:
Hey Joe,

post a few pics of the DPMS, would love to see it.
Hi Ben here is mine,

15gs3z4.jpg

2lmoqdv.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back