• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR Handguard help/question

Yeah initially I was wanting a 10" because I thought it would work but after I measured the barrel and flash can it came up to 9 7/8" so the 10" would be a bit too long and wouldn't look right on it. So now I'm back to a 9" which would fit perfect and still have about an inch of the can exposed which is the look I want for it.

Here is the pistol with the flash can added... the 7" forend is too short and the 10" would be too long. So a 9" would be the better fit.

I definitely will. I had one picked out; it was a 10" but my whole setup with the flash can and barrel was 9 7/8" so now I'm looking for at least a 9".
I'm sure that will be the way to go.

Ok .... So i finally got me a 9.25" scoop handguard. And at a great deal. $54.00 from matrix arms. Not the Hybrid I wanted but it works for the look I wanted to achieve.

I would buy one of those, but after looking at the specs, are too narrow inside diameter to fit my cans, so that disqualifies them for most of my uses because I like the integrally suppressed look, but I like them otherwise.

I'll bookmark them for future reference where I won't be using them on an SBR upper.

What are you impression of the hanguard?

I like it alot.
It's lightweight and a perfect fit for my KX5 flash can.
I've never heard of them but for $54 it wasn't a bad purchase compared to other similar ones that were $99 and up.
Got it from Joe Bob Outfitters . Com
Haven't fired it as I just finished it yesterday day when it came in. Hope to squeeze off a few this Xmas and see how it feels.
But just by the look and feel of it , I do like it altogether and matches the upper perfectly with no difference in rail setting.

I got an American made pig flashcan clone from ebay a while back for about $25. Best thing about it is, it's for 9mm. Or I imagine anything smaller than 9mm would work too considering it's made of steel.

Since I shortened my 9mm AR pistol barrel down to about 5 inches, I wanted to add the flash can so when I wasn't using it with the suppressor, wouldn't have to worry about where I put my hand since the muzzle is about 3/4 the way through a carbine freefloat handguard.

Looks good with the Noveske thing, the length looks perfect!
Thanks Rossignol that was the look I wanted, just a bit exposed at the end of the forend.
All the can does is make a bigger flash ... so I guess it would give away my night firing position if I was hiding in the shadows while firing... lol.

I got an American made pig flashcan clone from ebay a while back for about $25. Best thing about it is, it's for 9mm. Or I imagine anything smaller than 9mm would work too considering it's made of steel.

Since I shortened my 9mm AR pistol barrel down to about 5 inches, I wanted to add the flash can so when I wasn't using it with the suppressor, wouldn't have to worry about where I put my hand since the muzzle is about 3/4 the way through a carbine freefloat handguard.

I got one as well... right before I got the Noveske can. I was waiting and wating for the KX5 to come available as it was sold out for a while when I was looking for one. So I found this clone for like 20 bucks on some website and ordered it. And no sooner than I received the clone I got a back in stock email about the KX5 so I ordered it right then. It was for this build but I just got impatient and got a clone first. So I guess I just have a backup flash can just in case now.

Thanks Rossignol that was the look I wanted, just a bit exposed at the end of the forend.
All the can does is make a bigger flash ... so I guess it would give away my night firing position if I was hiding in the shadows while firing... lol.

If it's a 223, that's why you'd have a big flash with a barrel that it less than about 22 inches (which is about where 223 achieves full powder burn, as evidence why even 20" rifles have a flash hider).

I use my flash can on 9mm, and while the barrel is pretty short, I haven't noticed any increase in flash.

Matter of fact, I haven't noticed any flash at all, but I admit I haven't used that pistol in the dark, so maybe it does and I just haven't noticed.

You did good on your build. I like how it turned out. Next time I do a standard length upper, I'll keep that handguard in mind.

Thanks John. It is a 556/223 .
I was wondering about the 9mm AR and thinking about buying or making one just haven't looked into it yet.
This was my 1st pistol build and really loved the way it turned out. Lots of good parts were bought with sales over time so it took about a year worth of accumulating what I wanted as I was in no hurry to put it together but just knew what I wanted in the end.
I am gonna post the complete build on a different post with all parts and pics from the build .

Last edited:
9mm builds are more in-depth from a lack of other explantion, which require specific things.

Ramped bolts, smooth face hammers, heavier buffers, mag block for whatever style mags you choose to use. The most popular overall is probably the uzi, followed by the sten style because several years ago sten mags were being imported en masse, and most recent popular choice would be glock mag lowers though they take specific barreled uppers too and I admit that I don't know much about that style because they're new and I have no hands on with them. Not that I own a glock anyway.

Back