1. Thank you Mossberg Owners for making us the greatest Gun forum on the planet.

Buckshot Pattern Test

Discussion in 'Ammunition' started by LAZY EYED SNIPER, Oct 6, 2013.

1. oli700

oli700 12g Supporter "Philanthropist"

one of the harshest rounds I have ever shot through any firearm was a turkey load. A 3 1/2" mag through a Benellli Super Back Eagle inertia gun, 2 oz #4......more recoil than a 338 win mag pushing heavies
  2. Gunned down

Gunned down .270 WIN

Yep he shoots a stoger also inertia almost set me down only 3" but packed a punch
  3. mbshop

mbshop .270 WIN

have been reading a little(dangerous for me) and I noticed that the hevi duty shells use seeds between the shot and the crimp. might this have had an effect on the shot pattern you got during testing ? I hadn't noticed that before and then it kinda jumped at me and then I wondered about that. and with all my reading I still have not found a test on it except your great work. kinda makes me question why ?
  4. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Overwatch Staff Member Administrator Supporter "Philanthropist"

The rounds are still relatively new, so the lack of empirical testing is not too surprising.

My thought is that their "frangible" alloy is simply not strong enough to make it out of the muzzle without disintegrating...
  5. mbshop

mbshop .270 WIN

and with that one would wonder why they are selling that on the market. oh, yea, guys like me buy it !
    LAZY EYED SNIPER likes this.
  6. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Overwatch Staff Member Administrator Supporter "Philanthropist"

^ I've done worse...
  7. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Sponsor Moderator

I somehow missed all this. Must have been while I was on hiatus.
  8. LAZY EYED SNIPER

I had a lot of fun putting this together...
    Rossignol likes this.
  9. Slikster

Slikster .22LR

Excellent Work LES! I've only been here a few days and this one post helped me immensely. I've been considering quite a few of the rounds you tested, and this helps make choosing easier.

I'm brand loyal when it comes to ammo, and have always used Winchester or Federal in my handguns and rifles. I'm pretty much doing the same with my 590. I've picked up a few boxes of the Winchester PDX1 Segmented slugs and Super X 00Buck. Going to be on the lookout for some of the RIO, if it's still made. Would be a good, inexpensive alternative.
  10. LAZY EYED SNIPER

Thank you Sir, I sure enjoyed it.

I've put more Rio through my shotguns than anything else. You shouldn't have any trouble fining it. Pick mine up at the local Academy Sports but Cabela's and Sportsman's Guide usually have it in stock online...
  11. frankb

frankb .410

I also am new to this forum and have been reading a lot. Running across this thread really answered some questions for me. I have been keeping the #8 Winchester loads in the 590A1 for defense in the home. I did a few pattern tests at 5, 7 and 10 yards and found the patterns to be good in the 18.5" barrel.I greatly appreciate all the time and effort you took to display all this great info. I thank you sir!
  12. LAZY EYED SNIPER

No problem @frankb , glad you found the thread useful.

Everybody has their own reason for using what they use, but one thing I'll say about that #8 shot is that it leaves a great deal to be desired when it comes to energy transfered into a target and penetration. We use it at the range for bowling pin shoots and the pellets don't even punch through the thin plastic skin on the pins. We have some LEO here on the site that have witnessed target or bird shot fail to penetrate a denim jacket.

Some low recoil buckshot will take care of business and be less likely to cause unwanted damage or injury beyond an intended target...
  13. frankb

frankb .410

I will certainly give the low recoil buckshot a try. I want to use the best I can and not leave anything to chance. Thanks again for the report.
  14. frankb

frankb .410

I do know what that buckshot will do to a deer at 50 + yards. Put many of them down using the 00 buck. Makes sense to use it for personal defense if you know what kind of damage it does to a deer.
    LAZY EYED SNIPER and ripjack13 like this.
  15. ripjack13

ripjack13 Resident Sawdust Maker Staff Member Administrator Supporter "Philanthropist"

Hmm....I must have been inspired by this subliminally, I have a bunch of the rio. :)
  16. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett 20g Supporter

I thought I would wake up an old thread......

Buckshot VS Birdshot in close quarters / Mossberg Shockwave from 21 ft

102_9510.JPG

102_9084.JPG

102_9518.JPG

102_9143.JPG

102_9522.JPG

I wouldn`t want to walk into either load but as far as stopping the threat, I`ll go with buckshot!
    meanstreak and nitesite like this.
  17. nitesite

nitesite Sheepdog Moderator "Philanthropist"

WOW! Good illustration of the effectiveness of a shotgun. Thanks!

The FIOCCHI impresses me as far as patterning. Where did you find it?
    meanstreak and Elbert Garrett like this.
  18. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett 20g Supporter

I get it from SGAmmo in a 80 shell can for about $50
    https://www.sgammo.com/
    meanstreak and nitesite like this.