• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Buying a Flex, but cant find one..

Tbear

.22LR
Been trying to find one but cant find one for the life of me. 7 Dealers in the Detroit area and they dont have one between them. What gives?

I want to buy, but want to hold it in my hands before committing to purchasing. Buds, Galleryofguns, GunsAmerica, GunBroker, all commit you to full Purchase. Also, the online brokers all commit you to using the plastic.

Well...I guess you're gonna wait then !!

Good Luck...and let us know when you do find one.

I am looking for a decent shotgun. But due to my finances, I cant buy 3 separate guns for my future plans. Clay shooting with the 28" barrel, maybe duck hunting on the shores of the St. Claire, and switching it to a home defense gun with the 18" barrel.

Just for the record, you can do that with any of the 5-shot models 500's.

The only thing the Flex model does is make furniture changes faster, but ONLY with other Flex model stocks and forends that are almost impossible to find. Most of the people here on the forum that have bought the Flex models have removed the adapters to convert them back to regular 500's because the Flex system prevents the use of 95% of aftermarket parts and accessories. Not trying to talk you out of it, but just wanted to put it out there...

This is just me thinkin out loud. I'm kinda on the same page as LES.

So given you're on a budget, which I totally get, you could go for a 5 shot model which is readily available and then take your time searching for another barrel that meets your needs and your budget. It puts a firearm in hands sooner.

On the other hand, if you have your heart set on a flex, I understand that too and would say get what you want. But I'd want to hold it my hands first too.

There happens to be one about a mile away from me.

See, thats why I joined this forum and others like it, the amount of information that other users possess is available to a newbie like myself.

Not planning to use aftermarket accessories except for a side saddle and maybe a weapon light for the tactical forend. My other plan for the model I had in mind was that it would be easier to fit the shotgun to someone like myself.

Again, thanks for the information

That's what we're here for.

No such thing as newbies around here. We all showed up here at some point looking for answers to questions and those of us that hang around are here to give back. We have a pretty good network of members all over the country. You might head down the main page to the regional sub-forums and post up a request for help in the designated section for your area. There may be someone near you that knows where to find the model you're looking for locally...

Coming from a FLEX owner I can tell you the options are limited as LES implied and have turned to convert my FLEX to accomidate the standard 590 parts since FLEX parts seem to be non-existent. The only FLEX option left on her is the quick detach tool-less locking system (TLS) on the butstock which I swap between my adjustable stock and the standard stock.
I love my FLEX 590 but if parts ever become available for her in the near future you will have the versatility of both worlds. But for now you will have to settle for one or the other. Good luck bro and if you have any FLEX questions just hit me up.

Ok, recent developements

I got my Mossberg 2015 catalog today at work. My supervisor saw it, and turns out that she's a shooter along with her husband. They met at the Hillsdale College shooting team and they still do it today.. We got to talking and she has a FLEX 500 and she offered up to meet me at the range to try it out. I also found that Bass Pro Shop in the area, has a couple of them in stock. So it looks good that I am going to get first hand experience with one this weekend.

That is awesome. Funny how things pan out.
Just a bit on how I got my hand on a FLEX.
My wife's boss has a lot of land at his place and had the office over for a Holloween get together a few years back and he just got the FLEX when it first came out. He set up a skeet shoot and had the tactical flex SG and all I can remember after shooting it was I'm getting me one of these :)and I did.
Oddly enough at a Bass Pro Shop as well. Good luck bro and I know you will enjoy the experience with it. I know I did.

I dont think I could had have a better day then the one yesterday. Its like finding out cakes can be also made of ice cream.

I met my supervisor (Kelly) and her husband (Matt) up at Bald Mountain shooting range out in Lake Orion, Mich. They brought her Flex 500 and 2 other guns, a Remington 870 Wingmaster and a Remington Versamax. Tried out all 3 guns, and I liked the Mossberg the best though I had slightly better results with the Versamax.

We were shooting pairs from a 5-stand position. I hit about 60% of my targets, Kelly and Matt were hitting much better but in my defense they have 12-15 years shooting experience and I just got into the sport and looking to purchase my first shotgun. We were to hit the sporting clay course but the weather turned and we abandoned that plan.

Afterwards I paid for dinner and left them. Since Bass Pro was in the same general area as Bald Mountain, I went up to the store and found that they have the FLEX in stock. As to their specific inventory on hand, they had 4 Duck Commander Flex 500's with 28" barrels and 1 plain jane version with a 18" barrel.

Definitely getting one as soon as I make some room in the budget. Great day, wished I had took pictures.

Back