• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Checking in from New Mexico…

mic214

Howdy all,

I am a retired LEO, originally from California. They lovely bride and I moved out to New Mexico when we retired back in 2011.

I found this site looking for info on ghost ring sights and extra barrels for my 835 shotgun. My first Mossberg was a 340KC bolt action .22 rifle that my dad bought me for my birthday back in 1968. He bought it from a local Army/Navy Surplus store for $38.00. That rifle was my constant companion for many trips into the outback and has accounted for more than its' fair share of rabbits and squirrels over the years. I handed it down to my daughter a year or so ago.

My next Mossberg was a 20 gauge Model 500 that I bought sometime in the late 70's to use for dove hunting. Being a "lefty", I really loved the location of the safety on the 500. It was lightweight, easy to carry and did a number on doves. It got sold (along with a couple of other guns) when we were in the process of buying our first house as we needed the cash to swing the house deal.

When I got into Law Enforcement, the Remington 870 was king, so I had to adapt to that platform. When I retired I switched back to the Mossberg shotguns and went with a 590-A1 and the 835, as the ergonomics suited me much better than the Remington's.

My first 835 had a 26" barrel and all synthetic stocks. I used it for duck and goose hunting. I converted it to HD use with a barrel swap to an 18-1/2" cylinder bore barrel and I added a magazine extension. A couple of years ago, I traded it off for a S&W pistol (Model 64) that I just had to have. I kept the "Tactical parts" in the hopes of picking up another 835. I was without a Mossberg shotgun for a short while, as I had given the 590-A1 to my son in law.

This situation was remedied a couple of months ago, when I scored a nice older 835 from one of the gun auction sites for $200.00. It came with a "Slugster" barrel that was 24" long with rifle sights. I swapped out the barrel and added the mag tube extension and now I have my HD shotgun again.

I would like to add a set of ghost ring sights to this shotgun for HD use. I would also like to pick up a 26" or 28" vent rib barrel for it to use for coyote and bird hunting.

Welcome to the forum from Florida and thank you for your service.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...

Thank you for the introduction. Welcome to the forum. Jump in anywhere you'd like. Lots of conversation here Mossberg related and other. We like our guns. Even our 870's and 1300's ;)

I don't very often comment on folks photos they post, but I really REALLY like that picture.

Welcome to Mossberg Owners and thank you for serving your community!

I'm very curious about what you use in your 835 for predator control.

Welcome to Mossberg Owners and thank you for serving your community!

I'm very curious about what you use in your 835 for predator control.

From what I have read, the popular choices are #4 buckshot or BB shot. I have yet to use mine on coyotes as I have not gotten them close enough. I just picked up a new electronic caller, so I am hoping to get lucky and get some called in close enough to take down.....:)

With the shorter barrel and no choke, I'm curious how the Federal FliteControl stuff would work. It may be possible to find the Federal heavyweight coyote or even the FliteControl #4.

With the shorter barrel and no choke, I'm curious how the Federal FliteControl stuff would work. It may be possible to find the Federal heavyweight coyote or even the FliteControl #4.

I'll have to check that out. I need to go through my turkey loads and see what I have that may work.....

Welcome aboard!

Great photo! We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so take a look around and feel free to post up pics of any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Jump in on the conversation anywhere and let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

- L.E.S.

Howdy, welcome to the club!!
Nice 835! I have one also, but mie is just for turkey huntin....

Welcome Aboard, Mic! :) And be sure to check out the NRA-ILA website--I think I just saw something about a committee of your state leg. approving a measure to require BCGs for gun purchases or something! Check it out! :eek:

Welcome from MI.

Love the wood hardware on the 835!!

Mic214, I've got a 28" ported vent rib barrel that I will sell if you're interested. Let me know and I can send you some pictures of it if you'd like.

I am wanting to purchase the 20" "tactical turkey" barrel from mossberg to put on my 835 and I will no longer need the 28" barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Red,

Thanks for the offer, but I have decided to go with my Beretta AL390 for coyotes and birds for now. It has a 26" vent rib barrel and I have used it a lot on doves, duck, geese, pheasant and turkey. It has been my go to "Do it all" shotgun for many years, so I will stick with it. I made another post here and on PredatorMasters regarding what shotgun I should use for coyotes out of the three that I currently have (Mossberg 835, Beretta AL390 or my Benelli M1 Super 90). The general consensus was to stay with the Beretta.

If I do anything with the Mossberg, it will most likely be having the 24" Slugster barrel threaded for chokes, but that will be a project for down the road.

Thanks again,

Mick

Good deal. That was my original suggestion as well on your other thread about the coyote gun. Hey it never hurts to ask right?

Red,

I did see your post in my other thread and it was one of many that actually swayed me to going with my Beretta (Even though it has the longest barrel of all three shotguns I have). I still kind of like the idea of the shorter barreled guns that I have and, who knows, maybe down the road I will end up getting one or both of them threaded for chokes. Like I said, my 835 came with the 24" smooth bore barrel and I think that would be a great candidate for chokes. Plus, it does have that 3-1/2" payload which is still intriguing. The main reason I was leaning towards the shorter barreled shotguns was because I figured they would be easier to pack as a "Close range" coyote gun in my VooDoo Tactical scabbard.

I'm all about saving money and doing things on a budget and that's why I suggested the beretta. But like you, I too am attracted to shorter, more compact guns and I understand the want for a shorter barrel for easier carrying. That's why I'm planning to order the 20" tactical turkey barrel for my 835 and ditching the 28" barrel. I plan to use mine for a truck/HD gun so I was looking for a way to make it as short as possible while still retaining the choke tubes for being able to keep the increased shot pattern/distance for hogs and coyotes.

FYI mossberg has the 20" tactical turkey barrels on sale right now for $149, they are usually $238. Just figured I would pass that along in case it interests you. You mention the possibility of eventually having your 835 barrel threaded for chokes so this may be right up your alley. I know Briley charges $120 to thread your existing barrel and then you have to purchase the chokes separately or you can get the threading/3 choke package for $220. You also have to add shipping charges to that as well. So you would be able to save quite a bit by purchasing the 20" barrel from mossberg while it's on sale and selling your existing 24" barrel to recoup some of the cost. You would then have the shortest barrel possible with a 3.5" chamber and choke tubes for your 835 and be into it for far less money than having your 24" barrel threaded. Just food for thought.

The only thing you wouldn't be able to do at that point is shoot slugs through your 835, but as you said your carrying a rifle already and the shotgun is just for up close work which will be done with buckshot of some sort anyways.

Back