• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Checking in from New Mexico…

Hey Red,

We are pretty much on the same page as far as what we want to do with our 835's. I bought mine primarily to use as an HD shotgun, but thought it would be nice to be able to use it to hunt with to take advantage of the 3-1/2" payload it offers. The 20" tactical turkey barrel is exactly what I am looking for. I went to Mossberg's site and they are out of stock. I put my name in on the list to be notified when they come back in stock (Hopefully for the $149.00 price!).

I see that the barrel comes with an "Ulti Full" choke. Can I shoot slugs through it if I use a "cylinder" bore choke? If not, that is not really an issue for me as I will probably be keeping my 24 Slugster barrel and have that base already covered. Also, the barrel I have on my 835 now, an 18-1/2" riot gun barrel is cylinder bored and is good for both buckshot and slugs......:)

Absolutely no slugs through the 20" barrel, no matter which choke. But the barrel should say. I'll look at mine this evening. I have the 20" also.

OK, good to know......Is that due to the porting?

Nope. It's because the 835, while it's a 12 ga chamber, the barrel is bored to larger 10 ga dimensions. That's why I previously questioned the slugger barrel and if it was rifled. If it's rifled it's obviously intended for slugs, but I wasn't familiar with non rifled slugger barrels for the 835.

So what's the advantage of 12ga with a 10ga barrel? Sounds like a real scattergun.

The 10 gauge bore is supposed to allow for better patterning and less recoil according to mossberg. Idk how much truth there is to that 3-1/2" magnum loads still kick like a mule out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey Red,

We are pretty much on the same page as far as what we want to do with our 835's. I bought mine primarily to use as an HD shotgun, but thought it would be nice to be able to use it to hunt with to take advantage of the 3-1/2" payload it offers. The 20" tactical turkey barrel is exactly what I am looking for. I went to Mossberg's site and they are out of stock. I put my name in on the list to be notified when they come back in stock (Hopefully for the $149.00 price!).

I see that the barrel comes with an "Ulti Full" choke. Can I shoot slugs through it if I use a "cylinder" bore choke? If not, that is not really an issue for me as I will probably be keeping my 24 Slugster barrel and have that base already covered. Also, the barrel I have on my 835 now, an 18-1/2" riot gun barrel is cylinder bored and is good for both buckshot and slugs......:)

It says out of stock online but that is just in that particular camo pattern. It's available in multiple patterns and some are in stock but you have to call mossberg to order them, I know because I've been on the phone with them 3 times this week ordering parts to get my 835 back in tip top shape and I inquired about the barrel. 203-230-5300

No slugs unfortunately. As I said that is the only downfall to the over-bored barrels of the 835. To me that isn't a big deal though, I have 2 other shotguns I can run slugs through if I wanted to do so. This gun for me will be used from personal defense distances out to about 50 yards with shot loads. If Im going beyond that I need to throw a single projectile anyways and I'm gonna grab a rifle over a shotgun with slugs every day of the week.

Nope. It's because the 835, while it's a 12 ga chamber, the barrel is bored to larger 10 ga dimensions. That's why I previously questioned the slugger barrel and if it was rifled. If it's rifled it's obviously intended for slugs, but I wasn't familiar with non rifled slugger barrels for the 835.

This is how the 835 came to me. It has a 24" smooth bore barrel with rifle sights. The rear sight was broken when I got it, so the barrel is down at the gunsmith's shop now getting a replacement sight installed. This is an older 835 as the top of the receiver is not drilled and tapped for a rail like the current ones are and I don't see this model listed on Mossberg's site anymore.....

It says out of stock online but that is just in that particular camo pattern. It's available in multiple patterns and some are in stock but you have to call mossberg to order them, I know because I've been on the phone with them 3 times this week ordering parts to get my 835 back in tip top shape and I inquired about the barrel. 203-230-5300

No slugs unfortunately. As I said that is the only downfall to the over-bored barrels of the 835. To me that isn't a big deal though, I have 2 other shotguns I can run slugs through if I wanted to do so. This gun for me will be used from personal defense distances out to about 50 yards with shot loads. If Im going beyond that I need to throw a single projectile anyways and I'm gonna grab a rifle over a shotgun with slugs every day of the week.

Thanks for the info on the 20" barrel. I think I will give them a call and see what they have in stock......:)

You certainly have an older 835 from all of the research I've done. Not sure when they started drilling and tapping them but that could be an indication of your guns age. The only 24" barrel you can get for the 835 from mossberg today is the fully rifled barrel as far as I know. So it's pretty cool that you have a 24" smoothbore. That seems to be rare.

You certainly have an older 835 from all of the research I've done. Not sure when they started drilling and tapping them but that could be an indication of your guns age. The only 24" barrel you can get for the 835 from mossberg today is the fully rifled barrel as far as I know. So it's pretty cool that you have a 24" smoothbore. That seems to be rare.

I scored it off of GunsAmerica for $200.00 from a gun shop in Michigan. I am not sure if Michigan is a state that only allows shotguns for deer/bear hunting or not? Anyway, I got it mainly for the receiver as I had my 18-1/2" riot gun barrel and mag extension from the first 835 I had (That one came with a 26" vent rib barrel). I had traded off that 835, but kept the short barrel and mag extension so I could build another HD shotgun.

I know at one time, Mossberg made both the 500 and the 835 in the "Slugster" configuration (Smooth bore barrel with rifle sights). I am not sure when they were discontinued though. I have not seen any around these parts.

Last edited:
Coolness......Thanks!

I will have to check my barrel with I get it back from the shop to see what it says.....

Also of note;
The 835 and 935 use chokes for "accu-mag" and the ultifull referenced above is what mine came with too.
500s use "accuchoke".

The ultifull in the 835 is an exit diameter of .695 and the corresponding choke for 500s is around .670 give or take.

Last edited:
Back