• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

COLT

What were some of the others Nitesite? Good to know what to look for when I start shopping for one that size.

Great lookin Colt yardbird!

dieselmudder said:
What were some of the others Nitesite? Good to know what to look for when I start shopping for one that size.

I've had a Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 for several years and it runs like a top. Has since day one...

Re: What an amazing historical Colt SAA, and incredible phot

That is very cool. Wish I had an extra few $K sitting around.

I noticed that the factory letter said it shipped with rubber grips and now has wood on them.

Either I misread it, or I would have to dispute that.

Includes Colt factory letter

Per the letter:
Serial Number: 93228
Caliber: .45 Colt
Barrel length: 4 ¾”
Finish: Blue
Type of Stocks: Rubber (Wood grips now)
Shipped to: Hartley & Graham
Address: New York, new York
Date of Shipment: May 19, 1883
Number of same type guns in shipment: 100

That is a beautiful piece of history there. Whom ever buys that will be one happy camper.

John A. said:
I noticed that the factory letter said it shipped with rubber grips and now has wood on them.

Either I misread it, or I would have to dispute that.

Includes Colt factory letter

Per the letter:
Serial Number: 93228
Caliber: .45 Colt
Barrel length: 4 ¾”
Finish: Blue
Type of Stocks: Rubber (Wood grips now)
Shipped to: Hartley & Graham
Address: New York, new York
Date of Shipment: May 19, 1883
Number of same type guns in shipment: 100

I'm not sure much was made out of rubber in 1883... but I could be wrong ;)

It's a beautiful piece though, thanks for sharing nitesite!

Hard rubber grips were REALLY hard back then, almost like plastic or bakelite. The rubber was so hard it could chip and break. Maybe that's why a wood set eventually found its way on to this gun.

They weren't like Pachmayer or Uncle Mikes rubber grips you see today.

Handguns-ColtSAA-Soapy-right.JPG

GR0103.JPG

ACE hard rubber comb material comes to mind. Also known as Ebonite and or Vulcanite.

nitesite said:
Hard rubber grips were REALLY hard back then, almost like plastic or bakelite. The rubber was so hard it could chip and break. Maybe that's why a wood set eventually found its way on to this gun.

They weren't like Pachmayer or Uncle Mikes rubber grips you see today.

Handguns-ColtSAA-Soapy-right.JPG

GR0103.JPG

I learned something new. Thanks again nitesite.

The only Colt I have so far...
Colt Police Positive Revolver in .32 Colt New Police (aka .32 S&W Long).
This is of 1910 vintage, I have the original stocks.
Mark

In it's original configuration, with traces of bluing from 1910 remaining in hidden spots LOL.

Colt government model mk IV series 80, purchased new in 94. Only colt I own.
I kinda have been thinking about a new agent lately.

1991 "Gov't", bought in 1991. A friend and I each bought one at the same time from an FFL friend. I think we paid $410 each. (reminds me, I need to look him up...)

A squib load early on (the perils of noob reloading :rolleyes:) "forced" the purchase of a Nowlin barrel and Wilson? bushing, full-length guide rod, springs, long trigger, ext. mag and slide releases and Pacy grips and MS housing. Trigger breaks smooth at about 3.5lbs. 1000s of 185 home-brewed semi-wads so far--will put all in the black at 50'. Sights never adjusted or slide reworked--has shot straight out of the box.

Attachments

• 1991.jpg
    1991.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
1991? To me that looks like a GI M-1911A1 that has been modified with a different trigger and grips?
Mark

It was a "budget" Colt at the time. A parkerized Series 80 knock-off of the M1911A1. Series 80 have a firing pin safety plunger in the slide. Mine is an early, early model and came with plain, "tall" sights, "M1991A1" stamped in the side, cheap black plastic slabs, plastic (I think) trigger and flat mainspring housing. I also flared the ejection port a little to keep from denting brass. Serial number range took over where the original M1911 left off.

Later model 1991s "upgraded" to better grips, matte blue, dot sights and other mods. They also say "COLT'S-GOVERNMENT MODEL-.45 AUTOMATIC CALIBER" and some even come polished blue.

I know the difference between the M-1911 and the M-1911A1 and that is about it. Throw in things like "Series 80" and that and it is downhill for me LOL. Shot one a few times and that was about it. Had a quick "orientation" on it in Boot Camp (USN was still using them in 1989) and that was it. Would not mind having one, but it would not have to be a Colt, I'd take any of the War-time makers, or a bunch of WWII Parts thrown together LOL.
Mark

Don't rule out some of the new kids on the block.

I know it's blasphemy to some, but there are companies out there relatively new to the 1911 game that produce pistols which rival anything Colt has put out on the market...

Back