• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

CT School Shooting

Re: Fienstein to introduce Assault Weapon Ban

Nor would I mind LEOs at ours.

I have several points I wanna make on this topic. Ill try to be clear and will edit the post when I find the stories to go with these points.

Number 1. Within an hour of the school shooting on Friday, some (whether in washington or in media I don't recall) were saying this tragedy had to be exploited immediately.

Number 2. The AP reported that despite being highlighted in the media, shootings such as this are actually on the decline. They cited an FBI criminologist.

Number 3. In 1997, Austraillian govt. Sponsored a 500 million dollar gun buy back program and summarily a complete ban on lawfully, privately owned firearms. Violent crime rose by double digits, assaults and murder involving a firearm rose by 25%.

When the argument is made against magazine capacities, threaded barrels and bayonet lugs, looking at my third example when a complete ban on ownership of firearms didn't work as intended, how will an "assault weapons" ban work or help at all? I heard one guy today say criminals steal lawfully owned firearms, that privately owned firearms are in fact respsosible for the violent crimes and the only way to curb that is to go to something like the Austraillian ban, which as has been pointed out, hasn't worked. Especially given that it eliminates the argument criminals get firearms from law abiding citizens.

Last point. Obama, in his own words, said no piece of legislation nor any set of law, will end tragedies and violence as was just witnessed. In the same breath, the very next sentence in fact, he said that is however no excuse to not take action.

They do that up here as well with the highschools, and it has been in place for more than several years. One to three city officers in the two highschools we have locally...and it has worked fairly well from what I understand.
I just finished reading an article on the AP where Obama has come out to cite "Obstacles" to gun control. Of course Feinstein and a couple other Senate Democrats a couple with ironically A ratings by the NRA who are chomping at the bit for an assault weapons ban. I get the suspicions that we will see a repeat of 1994 mid term elections in 2014. Those of us who know the root of the problem, and there are alot, who know it was a mentally unstable ass clown....vote, and will be looking to vote with a vengence.

Eric Holder - “One thing that I think is clear with young people and with adults as well, is that we just have to be repetitive about this,” Holder told the Women’s National Democratic Club while discussing how to curb gun violence in D.C. “It’s not enough to simply have a catchy ad on a Monday and then only do it every Monday. We need to do this every day of the week and just really brainwash people into thinking about guns in a vastly different way.”
This is the guy that gave how many guns to Mexican criminals?

Number 1. Within an hour of the school shooting on Friday, some (whether in washington or in media I don't recall) were saying this tragedy had to be exploited immediately.

Number 2. The AP reported that despite being highlighted in the media, shootings such as this are actually on the decline. They cited an FBI criminologist.

Number 3. In 1997, Austraillian govt. Sponsored a 500 million dollar gun buy back program and summarily a complete ban on lawfully, privately owned firearms. Violent crime rose by double digits, assaults and murder involving a firearm rose by 25%.

Rossignol, nice add on!...these are true. I looked for recent links to the Number 1 and can't find it. It was a Congressman that said that.

Here's a link to a HS vice principal that stopped a school shooter in the parking lot with a .45 he had in his glove box.The shooter was headed to a middle school when stopped. Unfortunately by the time he got the gun and stopped him several were dead.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_High_School_shooting

Edit - Discovery's "American Guns" was just cancelled...it's getting ugly out there.

That is a great read! Thanks for sharing.

Def a good read, I bookmarked it!

Re: Connecticut School shooting.

CarbineMike, That is all depressing... but not surprising!

LTB, thank you for sharing that all! That is a great story and one that should be remembered!

oli700 said:
Oregon representative Dennis Richardson is making a push for trained and armed.........teachers, in Oregon. As you can imagine there are a lot of teachers for it here.
Never heard this before but I could see some complacent teacher losing a gun in the school or kids plotting to get a pistol.....because they are kids....On the other hand there is no denying if teachers were armed in Conn ……well I don’t know if it’s an answer or if it belongs here but its opposite of Feinstein so I put it in

EDIT: Not to mention that if some of my teachers were armed, I would probably end up shot lol

I believe all attacks for the past few years have been in "Gun Free Zones"... Soft Targets... Somewhere, where, there is the least chance of someone fighting back! The mall shooting in Oregon is the only one that technically isn't a "Gun Free Zone" but I think malls are notorious for asking shoppers to not carry. I have no hard facts on this mall however.

She can reintroduce all she wants, but if she doesn't get what she wants, Obama will sign the UN treaty and bam... the dominos will all fall into place from their I believe.

Itsricmo said:
oli700 said:
Oregon representative Dennis Richardson is making a push for trained and armed.........teachers, in Oregon. As you can imagine there are a lot of teachers for it here.
Never heard this before but I could see some complacent teacher losing a gun in the school or kids plotting to get a pistol.....because they are kids....On the other hand there is no denying if teachers were armed in Conn ……well I don’t know if it’s an answer or if it belongs here but its opposite of Feinstein so I put it in

EDIT: Not to mention that if some of my teachers were armed, I would probably end up shot lol

but I think malls are notorious for asking shoppers to not carry. I have no hard facts on this mall however.

I have, do and will continue to do so in the mall or anywhere else that doesn’t specifically prohibit me from doing so, that’s my official stance on the record..... I bet a lot of folks are less apt to take them off in gun free zones now though, lot of folks out there dont care much for touchy feely rules in these times.....after all, it hidden and none’s the wiser

I wish I was only old enough to carry and own my own pistol! I would be the same way!
I think in some cases, very dependent on location, some people may even be apt to REMOVE their gun out of fear from creating a false alarm... it's sad

Normally I would agree. However, if you have paid attention to the media, a TON of people and "experts" have been steering this whole tragic event towards the mental health aspect. The View was one of them, Fox News, a few other shows as well. I've been watching the MSNBC and Yahoo discussion boards as well and the pro gunners are out fighting the good fight educating where necessary as well as locally in our newspaper's facebook page.

I'd like to think that gun owners are more organized than in 1994. I'd like to think that the NRA has been pushing those level headed "players" on TV shows to educate away from the object and to the criminal.

Here is a question:

Who has the power to allow firearms, concealed or other wise, on school grounds?
The School itself? The State? The Unions?

The power is in a delicate balance.

The States and local districts make most of the major decisions, but public schools receive federal funding. Oppose a federal mandate and they can pull funding, so utimately the money makes the call...

I forgot all about the funding.. Grr.. it is amazing what some cash flow will do. I bet the school could argue other wise if it was really dead set on arming a teacher or two.. or three... or more :p

The funding bothers me too. The states send the money to DC and then DC tells us what to do or they will withhold "their" funding. Perhaps states should tell them "ok, we'll stop sending the money".

Here's the wicked witch of the west talking about her next assault weapon bill. It's hard to listen to knowing it won't do anything to stop a massacre:
http://thehill.com/video/senate/273...assing-new-assault-weapons-ban-as-uphill-road

How they protect school kids in Israel and I'll bet nobody talks in line either!:
teacher_with_rifle.jpg

Good editorial by Joseph Farah:
http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/how-to-stop-the-slaughter-of-the-innocents/

Thank you for posting that CM

Back