• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Decisions on a HD shotgun

JSM

Hello everyone!

I had some questions about different Mossberg shotguns that may help me figure out which may be best for me. I've never really shot a gun before and I'm new to guns but in the past few weeks I've been reading up on them and learned some from reading and I have to say I like it and feel like it is something I can get into like going to the range and just shooting and also I like the mod scene going on but as the title says I'm looking for a good home defense shotgun that I may take down to the range and shoot every few months or so also wouldn't mind modding and what it has come down to are these three models. Max price willing to spend is about $400.

The Maverick 88 $212

The Mossberg 500 $323

The Mossberg 590 $382

Here is my personal cons and pros list and since the 590 is mostly the same as a 500 that falls into the same place and yes I am looking into the 20" 7+1 models.

Cons

M88 doesn't have drilled and tapped areas for sights "which gunsmiths can as 20-100 per hole to do" and the safety is still kind of too far for pistol grips, fore grip is one piece

M500 has a bad safety when it comes to pistol grip set ups, fore grip is one piece

Pros

M88 Cheapest, rebuildable by yourself, reliable, 8 shots, cross bolt safety

M500 Tang safety for normal stocks, drilled and tapped holes "I think" 8 shots, reliable, rebuildable by yourself, 2 finger extractor, slide release location

One thing I would like to know for sure is if the 590 forend is pinned like the M88 and M500 because that could be the selling factor on the 590 because by the time I am done getting a new forend tube for the M500 it would cost about as much as a 590 but that is if I decide to change it out and also is the action better?

One thing I am looking into is something that is just about to come out which is the Black Aces pro series kit and I don't know if anyone has heard of it but it uses all the Mossberg parts but replaces the receiver with their custom made one which in turn turns the shotgun into a Saiga 12 magazine fed shotgun so I have the idea of buying the kit but that's only if it turns out to be good and since it hasn't been released yet and that I'm trying to make a purchase on either Black Friday or Cyber Monday makes it a difficult choice to go with just a cheap M88 or go with a higher end Mossberg model since I don't plan on making the mod anytime soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgIi70yUK8s

I'm probably leaving out some important information so let me know if I am or not!

Thanks,

I don’t think any 590 forends are pinned and I know not all 500’s are pinned

If you want a simple HD gun, all choices will work well. If you want to go to the range every now and again all the choices are good.

You are hip to the forend differences, all other modifications are interchangeable between them all with the exception of mag tube extensions and the pinned forend , of which you can change

From your description the 88 will be all the shotgun you will ever need and some……but if you plan mods for fun then the 500/590 will be more friendly

Other than the new Flex models, I'm quite certain... as Oli stated... the 590 will not be pinned.

I honestly don't remember the real reason as to why I went with my 590A1... but I can say for certain that part of it was purely for "bragging" rights. I like the heavier barrel, I like having the option of a bayonet... I like the way the barrel attaches differently than the 500... and I'm a fan of the metal trigger guard. Do I "need" any of those things to protect my family... No, as long as I rack the slide, pull the trigger and the gun goes boom everytime, it'll work for me.

That said, I would not feel hesitant to trust my life to a 500... or an 88 (although I've never used an 88, so take that for what it is). If you think you'll want to run a pistol grip stock on a Mossberg platform I would go with the 88. If you decided to go with the 500/590, you'll just need to ask yourself which features are worth the money to you and go from their.

Either way, you've made a great choice to decide to arm yourself (although a 12 guage is a hell of a platform to start on!) and you can't go wrong with any of the above shotguns!

JSM said:
Do you mean some older models with the forend being non pinned sold new are mixed in with the newer models that are pinned or is it just down to a certain model itself? The 500 I'm looking at is the 50577 model. http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotgun ... shot/50577

It's really hit and miss from what I can tell. There are sooo many 500's out there that have been on shelves or in storage that have the slide assembly. But as far as I know, new production 500's have a pinned forend.

Hello JSM and welcome to the forum. You just got some great advise from two experts,oli and AK.
Any of the 12ga shotguns will be fine for HD. IMO I would buy the MAV 88,,,,go to the range,,,shoot the heck out of it,,,,,see how you like the gun and go from there. If anything you can sell it for almost what you paid for it or you can mod it as you like. JMO

Nothing wrong at all with bragging rights! and that is what I was worried about, since I plan on buying online I wouldn't doubt I would get the new production one. The pistol grip stocks is something I would like to have including if I went with the Black Aces kit which having the M88 safety would come ahead in that respect but keeping the normal butt stock is a nice back up weapon to have as well! I know nothing really is wrong with the M88 even though some parts are made in Mexico but kind of want the Mossberg to have the drilled and tap receiver, the name brand bragging rights and to support more American jobs but again IF I go with the Black Aces kit I'm doing all those things basically and going with the M88 would save me the extra hundred to go to the kit IF I do... the thoughts of IF this and IF that is what is really messing with my decision.

I do have a single break Revelations 350A .410 shotgun if I wanted something to start on, even though I have that I'd feel safer with a pump and more rounds at hand without having to break and reload after every shot.

aksavanaman said:
JSM said:
Do you mean some older models with the forend being non pinned sold new are mixed in with the newer models that are pinned or is it just down to a certain model itself? The 500 I'm looking at is the 50577 model. http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotgun ... shot/50577

It's really hit and miss from what I can tell. There are sooo many 500's out there that have been on shelves or in storage that have the slide assembly. But as far as I know, new production 500's have a pinned forend.
precisely AK

JSM, if you are serious about HD with a shotgun, then there's some things you should know. 1st off there is a difference between owning a shotgun and fighting with one. I suggest you take a look at this: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu83.htm . I would also recommend against a pistol grip only. Shotguns need to be aimed just like any other weapon, and that is best done with a full stock. If there's an issue with maneuverability in the house, then you might consider a medium caliber pistol in addition to the shotgun. Also keep in mind that HD often takes place in the dark at 2am or thereabouts.

I'll take a look at the link, I do plan on learning on how to fight with a shotgun and whatever other weapons I plan on owning, I agree pistol grip ONLY is a bad choice so that's why I would like a pistol grip collapsable stock and a pistol is on my list to get as well to carry with the shotgun if I need to go out of the bedroom and search for family members and I'm usually up around that time of night so it isn't that huge of a concern to me.

JSM said:
I'll take a look at the link, I do plan on learning on how to fight with a shotgun and whatever other weapons I plan on owning, I agree pistol grip ONLY is a bad choice so that's why I would like a pistol grip collapsable stock and a pistol is on my list to get as well to carry with the shotgun if I need to go out of the bedroom and search for family members and I'm usually up around that time of night so it isn't that huge of a concern to me.

Well, everyone to their own. :) But you couldn't pay me enough to use a collapsible stock or pistol grip. I used a Model 12 Winchester in combat in Vietnam, and when it gets in your face and a buttstroke and/or bayonet is your only option you'll thank God you've got a full wood or even full polymer stock and nothing hanging off it to get in the way. My HD shotty is a 590 Mariner 8+1, plain and simple, no toys.

I can agree with that too, a normal buttstock would come in handy if you need it, I don't think I would switch over unless I got the Black Aces kit but even than you DON'T NEED to have a different stock.

JSM... I've been in your shoes, I myself have come full circle when it comes to shotgun accessories. I've had the tri-rail forend w/ grips, different stocks to include a pistol grip setup that was literally installed for 30 seconds before I knew it wasn't for me. Whichever gun you go with, start with stock.... Put two 100 round value packs through it, and some full power 00 buck/ slugs and go from there. After you've trained with it for a while, then determine what accessories you wanna try.

Gunny makes some great points, and is essentially highlighting what KISS is all about. I don't think my 590 will be changing much in the future... Standard stock, a good light and my heatshield for S&G's... and to my wallet's dismay... A good helping of shells every month. ;)

I think what I'm going to do is instead of worrying about the Black Aces kit I will just buy either the Mossberg 500 or the 590... and keep the stock the way it is add on a rail for an optic, change the forend out for one with a light and I think that will be all but I'll figure that out when the time comes, it's what I would like but probably not something that is needed and for having a mag fed high powered weapon I'll just buy an AR-15 or something since it is almost the same price as the Black Aces kit and hope that they will still be for sale when that time comes.

Wish I could but I don't have the kind of cash for it unless it was in the 400-500 range new, I shouldn't even be stretching my budget to 400 for the 590, should just keep it at the M88 but by the time I take it to get it drilled and tapped for a mount it will cost just about as much as the 500 and I'm not too big of a fan on the one that replaces the pins with screws, I hear it gets in the way of the saddle. I don't need an optic or ghost sights but I would like to have it, if anyone has seen hickok45 he can hit a target at I think 100 yards with just the bead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vaa6wsw7Ts Think this is it.

Btw thank you for the welcome old mossy :D I just saw that you posted in here.

So here is the question that should make up my mind between a 500 vs 590SP.... can the 500 20" actually hold 8+1 given a certain brand? I see the 590 say it can hold 8+1 with 2 3/4 shells and 7+1 with 3" shells and both guns are the same length so just to confirm is it indeed possible for the 500 to hold 8+1?

Yes it can (sometimes)... I was able to load 8 shots of Hornady LE 00 buck into the 500 I used to own, but not other brands of shells I tried. The difference in capacity comes from the difference in barrel retention between the 590 and 500. Since the 500's barrel nut crews into the magazine tube, you loose 1 round (usually ;) )

Ah okay, that makes sense, just trying to ask myself if 1 round is worth 60 dollars more because I can deal without the other features that the 590 has but even the 590 can't load all 9 with 2 3/4 unless it is a certain brand so I don't think it would really matter.

I don't know if this information is true but what the heck I'll share it,

The Mossberg 500 #51482. It has a pinned forend like the Maverick88s. The forends are visually different. Google Mossberg 50521 vs 50411 and look at the forend. If you see that longer, smooth, sporting forend the gun is pinned. If you spend a little more and buy any of the standard model 500s you won't have that problem. The pinned ones are rare.

Pinned
50521-1-large.jpg

Tubed
50411-1-large.jpg

872982.jpg

Back