• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

does this bug anybody else

crazywolf

Copper BB
man I'm so tried of getting a new shotgun or rifle and the first thing I have to do is shorten or replace the stock.( have replacement stock comeing for my 590A1)come on to they think everybodys got 6 ft long arms or what.14 to 15 LOP is just to long for just about anyone.I'm 5ft 9 in and huskey build so it's not like I'm real short or any thing.just drives me nuts to pick up a well made firearm and try and shoulder it and it's like holy cow is that stock to long.god bless the the guys like ruger. when they made there scout rifle it comes with spacers to set it up to fit you.more manufactures should do that.how great get your gun with spacers so you have a choice of 12 in to 14 in lop.ok end of rant.it's raining and deary here today so I guess I'm just in a mood.crazywolf

I only really notice it on the Mossberg shotguns......I wish they did a true 13 inch lop...and I am 6’4
I used to like the Hogue 12 " lop more till I and about 4 others ran it through the barrier drills we were using with the ar's.....it’s ok but when people got in weird positions with it they kept hitting their nose with the thumb wrap....I know the answer is not to wrap your thumb but I don’t, nor did others, like the feel of leaving my thumb unwrapped and others always reverted back to the wrap mid shoot , hitting their nose......so once again I have found something I don’t like that everyone raves about......it was perfect with the small Limbsaver slip-on butt pad but as soon as I got it into the field and off the range it sucked keeping on the stock, 3" slugs turned it on its side and brush was constantly taking it off the gun until I finally lost it......should have rubber cemented it on or something

I guess I've never really noticed it that much. I think I stared shooting when I was so small that I got used to guns feeling big for me. I've always taken the approach of adapting to the gun as opposed to making the gun fit me (I honestly never knew that modification was an option for many many years). It's only been more recently that I've actually started swapping out parts on my guns.

I do have to admit the Hogue short LOP is really nice when wearling loose or bulky clothes. :D :D

That is interesting. I find a short LOP is more comfortable for me as well. I also noticed that because the Limbsaver is made of softer material than say a Pachmyer pad, it does not stay put, yet the other brands made of a harder material do not come off so easily. I know there's grind to fit options but I'm not a fan of the ground down look that is the result of diy. I think they need to come up with a better fitting product instead of assuming the customer can jerry rig them all to stay on.

I almost bought another LS last night......the Walmart has the LS small slip on for 22 bucks. Thinking about picking up another one and rubber cementing it on . Sounds stupid but I dont ever need to take the stock off and I really really liked the length and the feel was killer.

oli700 said:
I almost bought another LS last night......the Walmart has the LS small slip on for 22 bucks. Thinking about picking up another one and rubber cementing it on . Sounds stupid but I dont ever need to take the stock off and I really really liked the length and the feel was killer.

I'd suggest some "shoe goo" for choices of rubber cements. It holds up very well in my experience and would probably work great for those materials.

As for the stock lengths I've never really had an issue with it. I'm 6' tall and I don't think I have exceptionally long arms. I have noticed on shotguns(always mossy) that I tend to shoot clays and birds better with the longer LOPs. Although I will admit that is sort of awkward feeling if I'm thinking about it while I'm shouldering it.

Awesome idea Joe !......

the only time LOP bothers me is with a pump gun…..other than that I do like MikeD and just deal with it

oli700 said:
the only time LOP bothers me is with a pump gun

Same here. I think for me this is because I need my left hand on the forend. The original Mossberg LOP made my left arm reach to far for comfortable shooting. On a rifle I don't have to pump I can support it with my left hand wherever is comfortable. I guess when we don't have a pump action we just adjust the hand grasp and support locations of the rifle to what feels the best.

As for the Limb Saver, I have it on a Hogue 12" LOP stock. I tried it without the Hogue butt pad the LS was loose and the LOP to short. I added the Hogue butt pad back and the LS is nice and snug and the LOP was perfect for me.

I learned to shoot shotguns shooting Trap with a mounted gun.
A 14+ LOP works great for that and I am 5'10".
I guess learning the correct way to mount a shotgun from the beginning has helped me greatly since now I shoot Skeet Low Gun and hunt the same way.
I have never felt that any of my 500's had a long LOP.

oli700 said:
Thinking about picking up another one and rubber cementing it on . Sounds stupid but I dont ever need to take the stock off and I really really liked the length and the feel was killer.

Oli maybe you have yet to "need" to remove the stock but the day you do, you may really regret permanently attaching a pad to it. Beware of any glue that claims it will last forever.

LTB45 said:
oli700 said:
Thinking about picking up another one and rubber cementing it on . Sounds stupid but I dont ever need to take the stock off and I really really liked the length and the feel was killer.

Oli maybe you have yet to "need" to remove the stock but the day you do, you may really regret permanently attaching a pad to it. Beware of any glue that claims it will last forever.

Thats why I hesitate to do it lol....

Mike, what size# but pad fits the Hogue stock ?.....and it sounds like it adds some lop so its a bit thicker then the Hogue pad ?

Thanks

oli700 said:
Mike, what size# but pad fits the Hogue stock ?.....and it sounds like it adds some lop so its a bit thicker then the Hogue pad ?

It's a small, part number 10546.

I have the Hogue butt pad in place and the 10546 adds 1" to the LOP. It is very snug. I can't see it catching on anything and coming off without me knowing it.

ok are we talking a slip-on or a regular screw on ?.....I have already had a slip on pulled off by brush elk hunting.....it’s still laying out in the Cascades somewhere. If you are talking a screw on I am totally interested

oli700 said:

Oli,you ever try double sided carpet tape to help hold it on?

I didn’t , I didn’t really realize the problem till I had it out to elk camp and I was there for a week straight lost it on day 3 or so......sounds like a good idea but I never have good luck with adhesive lol and guns…thanks for the thought though

[quote="carbinemike]It is very snug. I can't see it catching on anything and coming off without me knowing it.[/quote]

beat more brush, it'll happen lol.....I was kinda watching for it too after I found it almost off a couple times but I would jump up some animals and just start beating brush trying to get a shot or just get wrapped up in the hunt and forget all about it, then I noticed it was gone......should have back tracked and tried to find it but I was beat....bummed me out . What sucked about it was I discovered it was perfect to shoot when I had mu pack on because the strap took up a little space. I can shoot it fine but that second I get a little unconventional with it and slack on my thumb it gets me, it’s real hard because I have run a chainsaw since I could start one and it’s been drilled in my head to wrap your thumbs around the bar because that’s how kickbacks end up in your forehead...then all the training through fire always wrap your thumb, people call each other out on it all the time......all the years of bike riding, wrapped thumbs, so when I am not consciously thinking about it I always find my thumb wrapped lol......

alrighty.....rambling hijack......apologies to the op :)

I agree with the OP.
My 590's lop was bad... :twisted:
Manufacturers can build rifles with adjustable stocks. Ruger has it right with their Gunsite Scout Rifle. They come with 3 spacers and a real comfortable pad (equal to the Limb Saver). Easy to fit to the owner.
I think more companies should offer that. :eek:

Lateck,

oli700 said:
bummed me out

I'll bet. That's like dropping $30 in the woods.

I did an unscientific test last night. I made sure the 590A1 was cleared and then held the Limb Saver pad and let the shotgun dangle over a sleeping bag. No problem supporting the 7 1/2 pounds. I even did some light shaking and it never budged. I don't have a scale to check it but it must take at least 15 pounds of wiggling force to remove it.

To the original post, sorry for the hijack and yes, it is annoying to have to change LOP right away.

Back