• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First Post

Duck

.22LR
Hey everyone Duck here....Wanted to drop my first post before I did my first change to my Mossberg 500.

That is how she sits right now.(Top picture) Tomorrow I have a guy interested in trading my stocks for
this wood furniture he has.( Bottom Picture)

I like the more traditional look and I also do more hunting then anything so I really like the wood stocks. I Think it will add a little more weight but I'm ok with that.

After I get my new stocks I will be getting a sling setup.

I do alot of bird hunting and also trap and skeet I'm kinda new but was wondering if there is a better sight setup I can get for that kind of application? I'm still new to guns and this shotgun so don't know what setups are out there.

Also what do you guys like more for hunting...synthetic or wood stocks?

Attachments

• 969297_741997139162591_1914050047_n.jpg
    969297_741997139162591_1914050047_n.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 502
  • 1397735_598446466870033_1024749350_o.jpg
    1397735_598446466870033_1024749350_o.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 502
Lets see a pic of your forend clos up. If it has the screw nut on the front, you can remoce the forend. If it is pinned (you will see it pinned where the rails are), you have to replace the entire forend assembly.

So I talked to the guy last night and he said it will fit as long as they are both 12g....( Not sure how true that is) But he is going to come by tonight so we can try it out and see if they fit, if they do its a done deal if not I have my eyes on the ATI Hunting stock setup with adjustable cheek pad and adjustable pull.

I might get the ATI stock down the road but I want to try it before I do not sure how I can accomplish this yet.

If you are swapping the entire assembly you should be OK. If you are only swapping the forend itself you will have to consult the picture posted previously to see if it is compatible. Just being the same gauge does not make them the same as Mossberg uses different parts for different models and had changed a few things over the years.

I prefer wood hardware myself and am looking to change a few that I have equipped with polymer hardware.

Best bet, before money changes hands, install it on your gun. ;)

He is going to be coming by tonight to try and fit them on...
I Will post some pictures of what it looks like and also maybe a basic how to video I'll drop on my yoututbe channel for fun.

I got the wood stocks tonight....I still can't find my camera :(....
They fit great and have a very cool look to them. I noticed my first trip out hunting that the forend I had was shorter then I would have liked and made me stretch my arm out more then I liked. This new setup is a little longer and gives me a much better stretch to the forend and doesn't fatigue my arm as much when carrying. I will try and find my camera and put some pics up soon.

Glad you got it to work and you like it.
The "stretch" you are referring to is called "Length of Pull". It's the proper fitting of the gun to you.

This is the measurement from your trigger finger to the bend in your arm.

Shortening or lengthening the LOP brings the forend closer or further on your grip.

Attachments

• lop2.jpg
    lop2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 316
  • LOP measurement.jpg
    LOP measurement.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 316
Actually I think he was talking about the length of the forend. The corncob type forend is short and doesn't overlap the receiver when pulled back, so it requires a longer reach with the off hand, while the other one is longer (overlaps receiver) and you can grip it further back resulting in less of a reach while holding in shooting position.

gooffeyguy said:
Actually I think he was talking about the length of the forend. The corncob type forend is short and doesn't overlap the receiver when pulled back, so it requires a longer reach with the off hand, while the other one is longer (overlaps receiver) and you can grip it further back resulting in less of a reach while holding in shooting position.

Yes this is true.... The forend is a little longer so it moves my off hand back a little. Making for a better grip on the shotgun.

But having a stock too long for you will also cause you to over extend to reach the forend.

I had an ATI AR15 A2 style buttstock one time that did exactly that.

Now that I installed a 6 position AR style stock, I usually leave it on the first or second position, which is really short all things considered because it is more comfortable with the way the stock and forend is set up together, and it also improves my acquisition time on multiple targets when I'm swinging the muzzle around to various targets.

I was gonna start a new topic but I'm not sure of the proper place..... Anyways I am building this shotgun to be my field gun. I would like to get a nice sling that holds a couple shells on it and also a buttstock shell holder.
My big question is what mount setup do I get to hold the sling? I have a tiny hole at the front of the mag tube and it looks like I can put the small swivel stud in it for the mount but not sure how to make sure I'm getting the right one.
Also I'm looking for a good setup for sights I bird hunt more then anything so I want to upgrade to something that really stands out.
If anyone could let me know what area of the forum I can post this that would be awesome thanks.

All good questions.

The front of the mag tube is where the sling stud goes.

Here is a link to just the front qd stud: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/210892 ... -590-gloss

And if you need both the front and rear: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/496245 ... teel-black

As for front sights, do you have the smooth barrel or the vent rib? I looked at the pic at the top of the page, but I just couldn't tell from that angle.

But I'm partial to the Hi Viz brand of fiber optic front sights (with the yellow or greenish light pipe). They have many choices, you just have to pick the right size or one for your barrel.

But the big thing I like about the hi viz is they have a small magnet that helps hold it in place, although I still JB weld mine in place despite the magnet.

Anyway: http://www.midwayusa.com/find?usersearc ... hscope=all

I know it's not on a Mossberg, but here's some quick pics anyway.

stevensM79fibersights001.jpg

StevensM79fiberfromrear.jpg

stevensmodel79upgradeparts002.jpg

Back