• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Found something better than buying my 590A1...

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
...and that would be taking it the range for the first time! I had a great time tonight with some guys from work running bird shot though it. What a blast (no pun intended). The bead sight was better than I expected. I did ok with the stock (LOP to long for me) but did need to remove my cheek weld to cycle the next round. Time to check the couch cushions for some Hogue stock money. Most shooting was done at 25 yards but I did 5 rounds at 50 yards since we had a target there. The 3 of us had a nice variety of guns. I also tried out someone elses M1 Garand (loved it), a Polish AK and Mosin Nagant (one long battle rifle). The other guys tried my Mini-14 and Browning 9mm HiPower. Good times!

Range time with friends is AWESOME! I love bein able to get together and everyone bring along a couple guns! Thats how I fired a Mosin for the first time too!

Glad to hear you enjoyed your 590A1 and had some good times!!!

AND!

Holy Smokes man, thats a great price on the Hogue stuff! The forends are really nice too!

Thanks for the link L.E.S. That is a good price. I think I'll be digging in the couch for some change to buy it LOL. One trouble with the gun club is that it's in a hollow about 1/2 mile from my house by how the crow flies. I have yard work to do some brake work on a '72 Nova. I hear them shooting all day and it's calling to me.

I ignored the call of the gun range and got my work done which was just as well. I shouldered the 590A1 and could definitely feel a little soreness today. It wasn't to bad because I didn't notice it except for when i put the stock to it.

The 12" LOP stock will certainly help with that. Being able to tuck the gun into your shoulder better without having to reach for the pump will give you much better control over the weapon. You should then be able to square up behing the gun which will help mitigate recoil.

You can check out the 13" LOP Aimpro stock. I like the one I have on mine. I'm not relatively a big guy but i feel as if the 13" LOP stock is perfect for my 590a1.

The Hogue 12" LOP with a Limbsaver is the freakin' "cat's meow", 100+ 2 3/4" 1 1/8oz Challenger 1625fps slugs and little or no soreness at all. Push/Pull technique will help as well..I would shoot more but that's some expensive ammo :)

Thanks for the advice guys and keep em' coming. The Hogue stock has moved in front of replacing the factory bead sight with a Meprolight. Lesson #1 for me...proper fit for a pump shotgun is more important than with other guns.

Ok, I read the old threads and looked into stocks and the Optics Planet Hogue 12" LOP stock and forend deal at Optics Planet is on order. Thanks for the link Lazy Eyed Sniper. I'll report back on it after I get it installed. I had to delay a purchase I had been planning for my carbine but that was for an upgrade where this is a form-fit-function issue.

Thats awesome! Cant wait to see what you think of it and how it feels to shoot with it!

I'm thinkin about gettin the forend...

Rossignol said:
Thats awesome! Cant wait to see what you think of it and how it feels to shoot with it!

I'm thinkin about gettin the forend...

Good luck with the forend. I ordered from Hogue directly because I couldn't find one at the other stores. 5 hours later Hogue contacted me after I submitted my purchase saying they are all out and production will take 30-45 days. Waiting game right now.

I should have gotten the stock and forend combo when I had the chance. :evil:

Que the Jeopardy show music while I twiddle my thumbs. I thought my Hogue stock and forend shipped from Optics Planet but was mistaken. I heard from them yesterday and it's on backorder but "should be in soon".

Well, my Hogue stock and forend arrived. I have the stock installed and it feels so much better to swing it up to my shoulder and sight it. It is a 12" length of pull. The Mossberg stock is cataloged at 13 7/8" but I measure it to be more. The new stock reduced length of pull be about 2 3/4" inches. Thanks for the help Rossignol and L.E.S.

Now the forend. I have removed the forend assembly and the retaining nut. Is it possible to remove the original forend wihout cutting it anywhere? I watched a youtube video and the guy sliced it to be able to spring it open.

Back