• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Good Morning Mossberg Owners. It is still dry and cool here. High 40s at night, 60s in the afternoon. I have been messing with my irrigation again. It needs a timer.

Also I am really not happy with the new crossmember design.

I have been trying to design some more reinforcement into it, right at the tunnel interface. I have some steel plate and some bent tubing that might be suitable, but I am still sorting through my stash of used steel for the perfect bits.

I also bought some new tubing for the subframe ties. These rails will eventually tie the whole underpan from the front appliance to the rear subframe.
9EF1B727-4877-4648-AF6A-4E7916E21E71.jpeg

The similar recycled tubing I was going to use wound up in my jig.

More grinding and fitting to come . . .
Have a nice Friday folks!

I'm not a coin collector by any means. I used to be, but my entire collection [including about a dozen American Eagle silver dollars] was stolen in 1971 when my mom moved while I was in the Army. But that's old news.

My dad brought back a box of foreign coins and bills from Europe after WWII, and they've stayed in that box ever since. I decided that I'd better go through and catalog what's there, if for no other reason than to make it easier for my heirs to hit Ebay after I go to that great shooting range in the sky.

I've been using a phone app called Coin Snap. You take a photo of each side, and the app pings it against their giant database to provide the ID and all the particulars. [it's a paid app, but to me it's worth it] I sorted the coins by country as best I could and so far I've gotten through France, Belgium and Germany. A couple of the German coins of the war era have little swastikas stamped in - I may donate those to the DNC :). But that's not why I'm posting.

About halfway through England, one American coin popped up. My eyes were not good enough to pick it out, but the camera on the phone did. Amazing. This little coin is an American half-dime - pure silver and minted in 1796 - the last year of Washington's presidency. That one goes into it's own special holder. I'm awed a little, having a piece of history from the time of the Founding Fathers.

I can't get the tune Yankee Doodle out of my head now....but that's OK. I'm taking this minor discovery as a good omen for 2024.

Take care and be well my friends.

Something to Think About Each Day in the New Year

The Dash Poem (By Linda Ellis)

I read of a man who stood to speak
At the funeral of a friend
He referred to the dates on the tombstone
From the beginning...to the end

He noted that first came the date of birth
And spoke the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of all
Was the dash between those years

For that dash represents all the time
That they spent alive on earth.
And now only those who loved them
Know what that little line is worth

For it matters not, how much we own,
The cars...the house...the cash.
What matters is how we live and love
And how we spend our dash.

So, think about this long and hard.
Are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left
That can still be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough
To consider what's true and real
And always try to understand
The way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger
And show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives
Like we've never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect
And more often wear a smile,
Remembering this special dash
Might only last a little while

So, when your eulogy is being read
With your life's actions to rehash...
Would you be proud of the things they say
About how you spent YOUR dash?

First, @Ernst, those are some thought provoking posts right there. Words of wisdom…

Good morning to all. I hope the new year is starting well for all of you. Things are good here and I hope they continue as such. Let’s hope 2024 is our best yet.

have a great day.

Good Morning Mossberg Owners

It is damp and cool here after a nightime rain, but I have things drying out again now. I had to drain some big rain barrels into the irrigation ststem, and sweep the concrete in the boatyard.

Still 40s at night, and 60s in the afternoon. Yesterday was lovely& today will be the same. I took down the tree Monday, and all the outside lights came down yesterday. We have turned a new page and it is 2024.

There is strong hope for our continued position as the big cheese among nations.

I am still fussing with the new mid-crossmember design on the car. I discovered I had some more steel, so then I had more options. There’s no rush. ;-)

It has been 8 weeks since my wife’s surgery, and she was able to work her coffee grinder today without help. I have been easing her back into light dishwashing.

The new oscarfish are all growing like little pigs. One of them promises to be huge.

Papa Bear
09725DD3-F413-44E9-81A2-305F52A67FCD.jpeg
Mama Bear and Baby Bear.
5083D422-5083-4A2C-BC29-CCE09CE01BB9.jpeg

No, I am afraid that I purchased these at the local fish store.

But I have bred lots of fish now, in tanks with hungry cichlids, and the key is that you have to have a place to hide the young. In my case it’s just lots of fake plastic plants floating around.47F1ABDC-2D14-426D-A85F-B46D8F1AF1B1.jpeg
Here they are ripping into some blood worms. When you feed them blood worms, Baby guppies, and high-quality foods they grow fast.

I am sanding/prepping to drill, cut & weld some parts for my car. This is the template, torch guide, & tunnel flange, all ready.
DF964F42-26A6-4037-8CA3-FFCFBE61D1BE.jpeg
The tube is chromed, and it needs more sanding. Fortunately there was almost no rust on this stuff.

Before I go welding that plate to the chassis, I needed to fabricate a tunnel closure plate, which will also clamp the fuel line and brake line to the chassis.

It doesn’t have to be very thick if I make it stiff. This steel is 0.040”. It was once the drawer divider in a World War II navy desk, which is now my spare parts locker.
111B37A7-A727-447B-B946-D2D3189A2439.jpeg
I chose it because it has a cute little rolled edge already.

62D1923F-4FD1-4BE3-9CD1-768BA81AAE38.jpegWith some scraps in the big vise, I put a flange on one edge. Then I folded it to a hem, and I flanged the hem.
2DCFEF57-D6C1-41CD-BD57-9424A4B953BD.jpeg
I flanged the ends as well, and this makes the whole business quite stiff.
0C3859B2-D31D-4C40-AB89-86FBF5F39C72.jpeg
I made a short one and a tall one, just the same. My new clamp assembly is offset to keep the new fuel and brake lines at the correct elevation.

The lines will seat in the clamp with rubber grommets, and I’m using these little bits of split conduit to perch them.
370C95F3-312F-449B-8418-FB6A5797F770.jpeg
I will make the relief cuts and weld these in place tomorrow.

Good day to all of yous. We are receiving much welcomed rain today. I think 1-2 inches was forecast. The temp is currently 41 degrees and a southeast wind of 10 mph. Tonight we will dip into the high 20s. I will be staying indoors, LOL.

You all have a great day and stay safe.

I was reading this advertisement for chinese decorations, and I realized that I felt exactly the same way about my shotgun.

. . . according to the Feng Shui tradition it is believed that having these decorations around reduces negative energies from your environment metaphysically . . .

It’s mere presence just blows away all negative energies. Enviro, Meta, Physical, or elsewise.

Good Morning Mossberg Owners.

It finally got cold here. Yesterday morning was frosty, and last night even colder, dipping down to 36F.

I got nothing done on the car yesterday. I took my wife to therapy, took her grocery shopping, did laundry and cooked. Her arm has recovered to the point she can do dishes, so she is feeling less useless.

You folks all stay warm and useful!

Back