• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

My wife’s swears she will never leave California, but if the power fails and there’s no more AC her tune would change fast.

It’s really not as big a deal to me. Mostly because I’m not carrying the same amount of blubber.

My knee is still really stiff and does not want to be used. This gave me an excuse to lay on my back under the car and clean things that I was avoiding. The knee was okay with laying on the concrete but after a while my shoulders started to complain.

Finally I went thru all 4 batteries, wirebrushing, so I decided that was enough & quit for a while.

I certainly have several more hours of wire brushing to get that rear suspension tidied up. This suspension arms are pretty crusty in places but it looks like all of the welded seams are OK still.

I would be working on that tunnel instead, repairing the rusted metal there, but I don’t feel quite flexible enough this week. I’m sure my leg will be in much better shape by next week and I will be back to welding and grinding.

I don’t have enough room to get any of the grinders inside the VW tunnel, so I’m going to be reduced to grinding with the Dremel Mototool.

Air quality here has been amazingly good. Normally we get a lot of air pollution blowing down from San Francisco and Oakland, but we’ve had daily breezes blowing that stuff away from us instead.

Good afternoon Mossberg Owners.

Well the good news is my leg is healing steadily and I was able to go out and work on my car for a few hours.

The bad news is I strained my back moving the workbench. It is feeling much better now but earlier today it was so bad I could hardly get up and down and I could not walk at all without a cane.

Anyhow I made up at kidney belt from a towel, and that plus a heat pad made all the difference.

I spent a bunch of time rearranging some of my tropical fish because I wanted the prettiest ones to come indoors and I wanted one outdoors that would show up well.

I am set up now with some plumbing where I can change my water in the big aquarium system and irrigate my redwood trees at the same time.

Otherwise I have just been burning up wire brushes, cleaning all the rusty paint-grease off the Volkswagen frame.

The way the weather is right now I can only work outside from whenever I start until about 1 o’clock. Lately I have been loafing a lot but the leg is healing up and I won’t have this excuse very long.

And it appears that the back is going to heal up fast.

Wish me luck guys!

I am feeling strange today. Well it’s a strange life, but I don’t think my sore back was the real issue. I think I passed a kidney stone. Strange…

But it’s a strange life, and seems stranger every day.

Coding is done everywhere. Every vegetable at Savemart has a code. You can buy Androids at a Walgreens. If you take a kid’s computer (or, iPhone, today) he will go nuts. It’s the one thing everyone wants.

But, In 1968, no kid would even look at a simple computer kit, a computer book, or a coding book. Zero interest.

Now, It’s our most important business. Even the lowly Air Wick, today, has a microchip!

The unknown became indispensable. The whole world stood on it’s head.

For years we heard that the Ukranians bribed Biden. Then, that they extorted him. Now, that he extorted them. A circlejerk of extortion.

The world keeps flipping over.

I’m only half awake so I’m not sure where I’m going with all of this. You guys have a nice day.

I really don’t have a clue WTF happened to my back, but I just hope it doesn’t happen again. For now it is gone.

I was able to go out today, irrigate and work on the outdoor aquariums, and clean on the car chassis until it got to be 100° out. I got an impressive amount of rust and dirt removed and burned up a few new wire brushes.

I was getting around really well with very little soreness, but I realized after that I overstressed my knee a little.

Anyhow, I gave up on work for today, and tomorrow I will certainly take it very easy.

I think you are kidney "stoned"... :D
I was thinking about drugs yesterday and Judy tried to give me some codine left over from her knee surgery. But I can’t take that shit. It just makes me grumpy as hell

Good morning to all. The weather here has been very nice this weekend. We drove up to the lake Thursday afternoon .Friday morning it rained for hours, much appreciated. The highs have been in the 80s and low humidity. Today we should be sunny and mid 80s with light wind.

We will head home tomorrow mid day.

Have a great day and stay safe.

Happy Monday Mossberg Owners.

I am back to work on the car as per usual. Later I’ll go out to buy some more fish food. Or maybe I’ll go Tuesday because the good fish store does not open on Mondays.

I was looking forward to taking the boat out but the lake is way overfilled.

The boat ramp and parking lot is completely submerged, and people are parking along the road for miles.

I’m afraid it’s pretty bad for the people that live up there right now and I don’t wanna go in contribute to the crowding.

And that’s my advice for now: Avoid crowds and have a nice day.

Woke up to rain this morning...it's welcome. Been a very dry spring and summer so far. Hope some of this makes it to the fire zones.

1.393 million hectares (about the size of the Bahamas) burned in BC so far this fire season....most on record ever. And we're not done yet, not for another 2 months or more.

Christmas in July

According to legend, Christmas in July was first celebrated at a summer camp in 1933, when Keystone Camp in Brevard, N.C. decided to dedicate two days (July 24 and 25) to the holiday—complete with cotton fake snow, a decked-out tree, a gift exchange, and, of course, Santa.

christmas-in-july-neutrino-burst.jpg

Good morning fellow fisherman. This is the only fish you’re gonna see from me in the near future.
E957989F-DB39-4C57-BAEF-80A26154FB30.jpeg
This is the outhouse where you enter the ramp and pay your fee. It appears the collection machine (atm) has been removed. I did not take this photograph.
8F3AAA23-F4B7-4561-8D6D-D5CCC897060D.jpeg
Lots of floating debris. Etc.

You can just see the top of the yellow gate post. That is where the ATM machine should be. You put your credit card in and they charge you $10 for a ticket to launch your boat.

I did take this, And we are parked at the same outhouse. Of course camera perspective distorts the distances. It’s not as far down as it looks. About 150 feet vertically but 1/4 mile horizontally. You can see that the Highwater mark is above where we are parked.
6D6BE9AF-92B1-4CC5-BB5E-4A6A1725DDFC.jpeg
That concrete wall separates the boat ramp from the same outhouse. In the first photograph it is underwater. All those boats down there in the marina are about where my boat sits in this photograph.

The water is now 3’ over the top of my wife’s head right where she is standing, in the photo.

This is the backside of the dam last summer. Water there is down about 130 feet from the spillway.

It is going through the spillways at the top right now.
877C1414-F6B3-411D-A0E8-C26BDC3EC541.jpeg
This photo is taken from approximately the deepest spot in the lake. When the lake is at the normal full point, the fishfinder has shown up to 330 feet deep. It is probably 50 feet deeper than that now, so 380’

Last edited:
It will be kinda crappy (pardon the pun) until the levels recede some but at least there's water and lots of it.

This lake is on the Kings River, below Kings Canyon. It’s wild water in that canyon in normal years. Everything below the dam is flooding out now. Mostly campgrounds, orchards and farmland.

Yesterday was more work on the VW chassis, hours of wire brushing and sanding, and it is looking a lot more rust free.

I will be back out there in a couple hours. I don’t like to break out the power tools before 8am.

Have a nice Thursday folks.

Good evening to all of yous. Today was our 3rd consecutive 100+ day. According to our forecast we have 8 more Togo.
We were dry today and a 10-12 mph wind. Actually it was not bad at all.

You all have a good evening.

You guys and your 100+ degree days...LOL! We get 'em but not often and not for days on end. We regularly hit mid-90's and above in July and August which is more than hot enough for me. Moving even further northeast away from the coast it gets hotter. Lillooet and Lytton BC are consistently year over year the hottest spots in Canada and are just a few hours drive from here. The whole town of Lytton burned to the ground in late June 2021...was a wicked heat wave, killed hundreds of vulnerable folks all over southwest BC and had been a very dry winter and spring. It was another nasty year for forest fires.

It was well over 100° yesterday, when I finished working and went in for a shower.

I have lived on the Canadian border and I have lived on the Mexican border.

After a while, You just get used to the heat. I’ve lived in this desert for about 50 years. It really hasn’t changed, but I have.

I got used to not having to shovel snow, own galoshes or pacs, wear mittens, winterize the cars, chip ice, spread sand, wash the salt off your undercarriage, mount snow chains, scrape the windows clear, knock down 6’ icicles, etc etc…

I know none of you are going to be doing that stuff in July!

You all have a nice one.

I am still trying to get the rust off of this chassis.

4C0DABB8-0787-48C3-8B9B-339300415FC8.jpeg

I’m wearing out my collection of wire brushes so I bought some more.
3EAE4F7D-E421-4107-B378-54EE534DD67E.jpeg
While I was cleaning my aquarium this morning I knocked off my dead fingernail. Of course I had to post a gross photograph.
E22F6E20-6F4E-4E1D-A7E9-CD0C7CECD794.jpeg

Back