• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Got Wood?

I'm gonma try for at least 4....and possibly a few pen sets.

Snakewood is one of the most beautiful woods on the planet, to the point where it makes you cry when you see some of it necessarily turned into sawdust and chips as you work it. I think of it as a sacrifice to the wood gods, to help me not make any mistakes. :oops:

For the non-woodworkers, here's a little info about it: http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/snakewood/

Being closely related to Bloodwood, Snakewood shares many of the same working properties; namely, the wood is extremely dense, and has a pronounced blunting effect on cutters. Snakewood also tends to be quite brittle and can splinter easily while being worked. Despite the difficulties of working it, Snakewood turns well and finishes to a high polish.

It's also one of the most expensive woods you'll ever see. I don't know what you paid for the half log and the other, but I suspect it would come close to paying my monthly mortgage bill.

Last edited:
My wife almost took my head off when I told her....I need to make dinner and give her some tlc for a while or she will be on the war path for a while. But, it will never be forgotten.

** meow....Remember that log you bought 10 years ago meow?

I figure I have honed my skills enough to the point that I'm willing to make a big committed purchase of crazy looking wood.

My wife almost took my head off when I told her....I need to make dinner and give her some tlc for a while or she will be on the war path for a while. But, it will never be forgotten.

** meow....Remember that log you bought 10 years ago meow?

Yep. Been there done that. Still comes up occasionally. I learned to always budget for a diamond or something, along with the expensive woods. ;)

Nice. I saw a head board that is along the same lines as that. Pretty cool.

Nice. I saw a head board that is along the same lines as that. Pretty cool.

Those kind of hidden compartments are more popular than many people think. Almost any design is possible with various closures and locks. End tables, coffee tables, chairs, book cases, desks, dressers and nitestands, small jewelry boxes and so on. Misdirection and deceptive design. The general idea has been around since the Pharaohs. I've done a couple things with hidden compartments and they're fun to make (there's even a couple in my avatar ;) ). Molding & trim is a great way to hide the seams on hidden compartments, btw. :)

I found a super amazing looking block of snakewood on my other forum....omg it's awesome...and I can't wait to make a grip out of it!!!

It's the bottom block...#2
View attachment 5807

Just after I bought it, the seller had put up a log of it for sale....son of a B***H! I shoulda got the log instead....but...oh well. live and learn....

Can it be for me??? ;) It looks... stunning!

Snakewood has arrived!!!!
The long block is exhibition grade! The log looks to be as well. No cracks either!!!!

Back